Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I'm having a towbar fitted to our Ducato PVC.

On our Audi when the trailer is connected it disables the parking sensors so that when reversing the sensor alarm is not going off all the time :)

Does anyone know if this is the same for the Fiat? The parking sensors on the PVC are a Fiat fit.

Thanks, Mick

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you get the right wiring kit fitted it should work. Everything is run off a CanBus but the kits are not cheap might be worth a phone call .. https://www.pfjones.co.uk/towbar-wi...ring-kits/fiat-ducato-towbar-wiring-kits.html

The info on their FIAT Kit states ..

Dealer Download Optional: Kit will perform full light functions, but will need dealer recode for disabling rear parking sensors & switch on visual warning device.

Looks like you may have to factor in a trip to Fiat Professional Service to get it sorted

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They did not have the right kit for ours it whines away detecting the bike rack every time i reverse. :mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tuscancouple

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Looks like you may have to factor in a trip to Fiat Professional Service to get it sorted

If only it were that easy :). New Ducato PVC, had towbar fitted reuesting parking sensor overide as the Audi, however due to level panelling in the PVC the fitters couldn't get close to where the connection needed to fit. Neither they, nor me wanted them to start taking the panelling off!

So as in Mike's above, sensor alarm goes off as soon as reverse is engaged when trailer on towbar!

Can't live with that so off to JC Leisure, PVC supplier, to fit an overide switch to kill parking sensors when trailer in connected. They know how to remove and replace the panelling........I hope :)

Mick

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If only it were that easy :). New Ducato PVC, had towbar fitted reuesting parking sensor overide as the Audi, however due to level panelling in the PVC the fitters couldn't get close to where the connection needed to fit. Neither they, nor me wanted them to start taking the panelling off!

So as in Mike's above, sensor alarm goes off as soon as reverse is engaged when trailer on towbar!

Can't live with that so off to JC Leisure, PVC supplier, to fit an overide switch to kill parking sensors when trailer in connected. They know how to remove and replace the panelling........I hope :)

Mick
Could you fit a kill switch on, or around, the dash for the sensors?

OP
OP
tuscancouple

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Could you fit a kill switch on, or around, the dash for the sensors?

That's the plan, however the sensors are activated when reverse is selected by a link with the reversing lights. Complication is where the dash switch pick up will be from. If under the PVC it's easy (ish), if it's from the control box in the rear pillars (where lamps are) then panelling needs to be removed. Hence JC Leisure are doing the work.

Mick

OP
OP
tuscancouple

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007

You were correct! JC Leisure wouldn't touch it due to warranty, so I removed the panelling and this moring a Fiat Professional Service dealer fitted a switch. So all good now, but what a performance! :)

Mick

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've not noticed if the alarm comes on when reversing.
I've managed to avoid the need to reverse when towing.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Many converters including the larger ones import standard panel vans and they remain that way until type approval. A panel van imported specifically for conversion has the necessary CAN bus alteration and factory fitted 12v split charger.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not so easy on pre installed parking sensors but on my aftermarket sensors the wiring diagram showed how to use the dedicated parking sensor earth from the towbar canbus relay module to connect to the parking sensor earth.
When the towbar electrics are in use it disables the parking sensor earth.
When not in use the sensors use the standard sensor module earth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back