Towbar Mounted E-Bike Carrier (1 Viewer)

Lochan

Free Member
Jun 8, 2018
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Hi, I have searched and searched, but cannot find a definitive answer to whether any of the towbar mounted cycle carriers that tilt away allow the 'Barn Doors' on my Peugeot Boxer PVC to be opened.
Has anyone in this group got such a set up please, I'd really love to know?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have the same base vehicle and not found one that tilts sufficiently to enable the doors to open fully. However there are racks fitted to the towball that can swing out rather than tilt which then gives access to the rear doors. Not cheap however! Note prices on the attached photo are a couple of years out of date!
B2D7CA45-DFC0-47F2-8B73-6903A0CDC086.jpeg
4261ED98-9C75-4D8E-B27B-48A777B964C3.jpeg

OP
OP
Lochan

Lochan

Free Member
Jun 8, 2018
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Hi, I have searched and searched, but cannot find a definitive answer to whether any of the towbar mounted cycle carriers that tilt away allow the 'Barn Doors' on my Peugeot Boxer PVC to be opened.
I have the same base vehicle and not found one that tilts sufficiently to enable the doors to open fully. However there are racks fitted to the towball that can swing out rather than tilt which then gives access to the rear doors. Not cheap however! Note prices on the attached photo are a couple of years out of date!View attachment 236218View attachment 236219

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I have adapted our tow ball bike rack to do just what you say so the back doors open. The little lugs where the back bar screws on are slightly too high, (around 25mm or 1 inch in old money) I cut them down enough for the doors to open and sealed and painted them, you would never know the difference and the main bar fits just the same.
Phil

OP
OP
Lochan

Lochan

Free Member
Jun 8, 2018
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
I have adapted our tow ball bike rack to do just what you say so the back doors open. The little lugs where the back bar screws on are slightly too high, (around 25mm or 1 inch in old money) I cut them down enough for the doors to open and sealed and painted them, you would never know the difference and the main bar fits just the same.
Phil
Thanks for info, which rack do you have please

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Or the Memo Van Star. slightly cheaper, which is what I have. However there is a tow ball fitting which does what you want, according to some van owners. It's the Atera Strada. I've never seen one, so can't confirm this.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another interesting video showing a different swinging bike rack ... I bet the girl doing the demo wished she had a cordless drill to do the winding with! :D

1barney796

Free Member
Nov 12, 2018
Funster No

1barney796

Free Member
Nov 12, 2018
Funster No
I have a busbiker cycle rack for sale if anyone is interested ÂŁ500 on ebay and gumtree. Was fitted in Holland at 1300 Euros. Please contact me if interested

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From what others with such racks have said the only one that allows some limited access is the combined one that slides away and tilts backwards too, the ones that tilt but don't slide won't allow much if any access at all so it has to be the combined one but it won't allow you to open the doors fully, only to allow you to reach in for something.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back