Towbar mount occasionally drags on the ground (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I have searched for this but can’t find any reference to it.

Our moho is 7.15m, but based on the shorter wheelbase Ducato chassis. We have a towbar fitted.

Occasionally, when boarding a ferry ramp or negotiating a camber, the bottom of the tow ball mount will drag and scrape on the ground. I normally carry a small wheel dolly (pic attached) to slide under the tow ball mount if I think we are going to drag, but I wonder whether anyone has come up with a better solution?

wheel dolly.png

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Sounds noisy when they work but stop any damage.

Sorry but it works perfectly and they are fitted as standard onto Morello and I have never had a problem with the tow bar grounding as I tow a car. Cheap easy solution and cause no damage to the chassis. Mine were fitted by main Carthago dealer.

If you’ve never had a problem with your tow bar grounding, which bit of your Carthago is grounding out?

Ian

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria S 690 SP.
Exp
2018 August
Another plug for air suspension, at least on the rear end. You can increase the height at the push of a button. Helps all round driving as well.
Yes. I have air suspension and can raise the rear end by another 5 inches when needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2013
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One
I think you have all got the wrong end of the thread ,tow bar has not grounded since the fitting of the wheels. Why would they be fitted and sold. If you look for problems with recovery there is not a problem watched Carthago loaded onto a low loader in Croatia without a problem .Look at the website and I reiterate they work perfectly. Why spend loads of money on air suspension when there is a cheap solution !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Thanks for all the advice and opinions. On balance, I am going to look at air suspension. To be able to raise the rear by even two inches would solve the issue for me I think.

Can someone give a bit more info on how air suspension improves the ride and stability? As I said, we travel pretty close to 3500, so the back feels a tag spongey when going above 60. I generally stick at 60 anyway, but occasionally you need to overtake a tugger or lorry!

Also, is there any benefit for levelling once parked?

Thanks much.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi There - we have had this on our motorhomes in the past - think of it another way - the two bar is a reversing aid - stops any knocks to the back end id you get it wrong - and when you hear that noise as it drags across the loading ramp or road - say to yourself 'Well that means I am not getting any damage to the rear panel'.
We have a bumper fitted to the back to protect the rear panels from any pumps - I would always have one on a MH.
The one we have on our current vehicle is polished - so the cars that get too close can see what is about to ruin their day.

I fitted a skid plate to one vehicle, just a plate of 1/4" plate bent to catch the ground if it got too close. Worked really well.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Rear air (fitted ours 2yrs back) helps with reducing the rolling effect (swaying) that you often get at the back end. I have been very impressed with ours for what it cost (around €300) and it certainly helps when passing HGV's as again it helps with that swaying effect. And then of course you can increase/decrease the stiffness by inflating the bags.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
DDJC you will find vans such as Morello use a much heavier Iveco chassis rather than a lightweight pressed steel one. Is your van on a Fiat or Alko rear chassis?
Rear air is definitely the way to go but a big price difference between Fiat £300 and Alko £3,000 estimate

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
DDJC you will find vans such as Morello use a much heavier Iveco chassis rather than a lightweight pressed steel one. Is your van on a Fiat or Alko rear chassis?
Rear air is definitely the way to go but a big price difference between Fiat £300 and Alko £3,000 estimate
Fiat Ducato chassis, not sure which one.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
I have ploughed a furrow throughout Europe and Morocco with my tow hitch, diagonal approach and air ride helps but I'm glad that I haven't removed or damaged the rear valance. PS the tow hitch was recommended and fitted by Trucks r Us to protect the rear valance.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Occasionally, when boarding a ferry ramp or negotiating a camber, the bottom of the tow ball mount will drag and scrape on the ground. I normally carry a small wheel dolly (pic attached) to slide under the tow ball mount if I think we are going to drag, but I wonder whether anyone has come up with a better solution?

View attachment 475950
what height is the centre of your towball? Directive 94/20EC specifies 350mm to 420mm when fully laden. If yours is lower, it could be a suspension issue. It started to happen on a car I once owned, turned out I had a broken rear spring! As others have said, I’d refrain from using your ‘dolly’.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I always feel that it is a good warning and would prefer the towbar to ground rather than bodywork.

I always thought that all it does is transfer some force to the chassis and lift it off the suspension slightly.

Does a slight scrape cause any damage?

I am willing to learn.

Geoff

I am quoting my own post because nobody said whether my thinking is right or wrong.

Some input please

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
what height is the centre of your towball? Directive 94/20EC specifies 350mm to 420mm when fully laden. If yours is lower, it could be a suspension issue. It started to happen on a car I once owned, turned out I had a broken rear spring! As others have said, I’d refrain from using your ‘dolly’.
Doubt that a leaf is broken. There are no other indications of a broken spring when driving, and it is a '68 plate, serviced twice now. The tow ball height is a tad over 38 cm, measured with a 30 cm ruler! The trailer is the shortest twin axle you can get and is 41 cm high.

I am happy to leave the dolly out of the boot as it weighs 7 kilos. So bottom line for me then, is if I go for semi air suspension, I lose 7 kilos & £400, and gain 12-15 kilos. Works for me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I am quoting my own post because nobody said whether my thinking is right or wrong.

Some input please

Geoff
No idea Geoff! I am here to learn as well!
I would agree that a scratch on the underside or the tow bar is preferable to ripping off the GRP bodywork!

I love the wheelie bin wheel idea! Just amazed that it supports what must be a couple of tons of motorhome weight!

Upvote 0

farmersboy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Leics
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Coachbuilt
Exp
The wheels would be only relieving the road springs of weight so would only assisting rather than carrying the full weight of the rear of the motorhome. Because of lockdown not had a chance to prove my theory !!!!!!!

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Here is my answer to dragging my bottom, I had a broken wheelie bin which needed recycling so made up brackets to fit the wheels to the towbar.View attachment 476562

I presume your arrangement has never been tested in action? I think the loads expected from a wheelie bin will be somewhat lower than they might experience with your intended usage.

I love the wheelie bin wheel idea! Just amazed that it supports what must be a couple of tons of motorhome weight!

I doubt that it would but perhaps farmersboy can confirm that it has.

Ian

Upvote 0

farmersboy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Leics
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Coachbuilt
Exp
I presume your arrangement has never been tested in action? I think the loads expected from a wheelie bin will be somewhat lower than they might experience with your intended usage.

I doubt that it would but perhaps farmersboy can confirm that it has.

Ian
Not yet tried the theory but if you look at your wheelie bin wheels they are solid with a one inch axle and if they can stand the abuse from your dustman then surely they will help in stopping you dragging the towbar on the ramp which would be only a matter of a foot or so.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Not yet tried the theory but if you look at your wheelie bin wheels they are solid with a one inch axle and if they can stand the abuse from your dustman then surely they will help in stopping you dragging the towbar on the ramp which would be only a matter of a foot or so.
But I don’t put my dustman in the wheelie bin (he’s waaay too heavy!). 😂🤣

Ian

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
But I don’t put my dustman in the wheelie bin (he’s waaay too heavy!). 😂🤣

Ian
'I say, I say, I say ...'
'What you again. What is it this time?'
'There's Lilies in my dustbin'
'Ow d'ya know they're Lilies?'
' 'Cos Lilly's wearing them ...'

Lonnie Donegan, 'My Old Man's A Dustman'

Upvote 0

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I have been using Phil & Cath (AS Air Suspension) for around 12 years, in which time they have fitted air assist on my last 3 motorhomes and also HPC hydraulic jacks to our current van. They are very proficient with their fitting and lovely folk to deal with and I'm very happy to recommend them.
The price will depend on your particular motorhome and which chassis it is built on ... I'm sure they will be in touch soon but you could try ringing them on 01925-740666
Spoke to AS today and van booked in for later in April ,,,, thanks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back