Towbar for PVC (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I've been looking into a towbar for our new Warwick xl on the Boxer chassis. having come to the conclusion that the door mounted cycle carrier may not be sufficient for our needs and a towbar would be more useful.
I'm Being quoted 4 to 6 hundred Quid interestingly the 400 quid one mentioned the proper wiring kit also the need to program the van to accept the towbar electrics. Now this is the first time I've heard this. Any ideas if this is really what you have to do now?. I'm thinking warranty issues if I don't.
I didn't think it would be so troublesome or I would have tried to get a towbar as part of the exchange. I'm surprised how many towbar fitters won't touch a motorhome. :( as they say the wiring has to get from the back to the engine bay and its to difficult in a motorhome compared to a plain van. Me being plain stupid thought the underside would be used.:doh: may be not
Any advice would be most helpful:)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
As far as a towbar is concerned you are fitting one to a standard vehicle so should be striaght forward if you go to the correct people. Had mine fitted when I bought the van new but they brought in a mobile fitter to do it. All the relays that were fitted are behind the rear lights so access would be required there, might be a problem in some conversions.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Easy enough access to rear lights on our van. It seems like a simple job really and was thinking of having a go myself but this fitter mentioned programming. Probably another money making exercise stopping the diy fit:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
If you have a look on some of the towbar sites eg PF Jones and check the description they usually say if reprogramming is required on the various models.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On most modern vehicles there are only two options that will allow you to connect trailer electrics:

The first is to use the manufacturers wiring kit which in most cases is a simple plug-in arrangement followed by a re-program to tell the appropriate ECU it now has an additional load. The advantages are that bulb failure monitoring circuits built in to the vehicle will warn of trailer light failure and a dashboard indicator will alert you to a failed indicator on the trailer. The disadvantage is cost.

The second is to use an aftermarket device that has a separate power supply that feeds the trailer lights. Which light, er, lights is determined by a connection to the existing vehicle lights wiring that simply senses when a particular light is in use. The signal is sent to the device & it turns on the appropriate trailer light. The disadvantage is that the trailer lighting isn't seen by the clever vehicle systems and no warning is given of a trailer light failure. However there's normally a sounder incorporated so that at least you know the trailer indicators are working.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Speak to the people at pf jones. They will give you any info you need. https://www.pfjones.co.uk/

I just bought one and am fitting it myself. I paid £153 for mine including VAT and Delivery.

£400 doesn't sound too far out to me to be honest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back