Towbar Dirt Catchers - any good? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi

Is a dirt catcher (ones that look like a big brush) attached to a tow bar any good?
Are they worthwhile?

Drain man

Free Member
Aug 27, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class Swift Kontiki 660
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, I had one fitted to the bus by PWS when they fitted the tow bar, the dirt skirt came from SDG in South Wales it works well keeping road mess off the bikes I carry on my Thule bike rack which has got an underskirt fitted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Ours is very effective at keeping the front of the toad clean, and saves us having to clean the windscreen every time we unhitch having driven in poor weather. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi

Is a dirt catcher (ones that look like a big brush) attached to a tow bar any good?
Are they worthwhile?

Yes very good... (y)

But make sure it is off the ground a few inches, otherwise it will flick stones up onto the front of the "Toad"..:(

I know some one who fitted one when they had a Yank RV and that is exactly what happened...

And had to spend hours touching up the little stone chips... :whistle2::doh::blush:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I fitted one and it was very effective at sweeping the M11 and spreading salt and grit all over the toad!:doh::swear2:

One day I will get around to refitting it, but as Mo says I will cut it a little shorter.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes, will help stop stones hitting the toad.. but won't completely eliminate the spray so it will still need a wash after towing in foul weather.. so IMO of limited value.. more help to following vehicles..

.. from Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner; SPLASH STOP 22" TRIM

I actually removed mine from the RV as I didn't like the look of it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Always reminds us of the underarms of German ladies you see on the beach, I should probably get one for the Burstner then :D
Recently fitted some of those "bristly" mud flaps to the back of ours and panelled in the rear bumper with some pvc cladding I had around, keeps the crud off the rear lights and wiring, got the idea off here too, Techno maybe ? thanks anyway !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back