Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
My 2 girls have mastered the art of cycling so its time to look at a bike rack.There is one fixed to the rear of the van but I'm not sure it's good for the van to have 4 bikes near on 60 kg hanging off it.
As I've got a towbar on the car it could be used on that too.From what I can see there are 2 types,the lower level one with built in tail board and lights,which the bikes stand on and the v shaped ones with the 2 arms that the bikes hang off.
Are the v type ones meant to be used on cars with supporting straps back to the boot area,or can they be used on mhs ?
Any thoughts on the best type or experiences good or bad.

Vlad

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have a Thule one complete with tail board. I'm sure the V shaped ones require straps although couldn't be certain. The tow ball mounted THULE one is ace.

Having had a bike rack come off the van smashing the back window, I feel more happy with a tow ball one :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Four bikes on the back off an Autotrail at max 60kg should be ok especially if two of them are childrens bikes. If in doubt give Glenn a call and ask him. 01-580-881288

(Providing the rack is a Fiamma and properly installed)

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thanks Peter the rack is a Fiamma and rated to 60 kg however there are only 2 channels to take the wheels,can you fit 2 more or just lash the bikes together ?

Vlad

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fiamma do an extension kit to add a third and fourth bike rail and clamps. otherwise the towbar mounted racks are excellent and as you say can be moved to your car if needed. we used to carry 2 bikes and a wheelchair on a towbar mounted rack for many thousands of miles without incident.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks Peter the rack is a Fiamma and rated to 60 kg however there are only 2 channels to take the wheels,can you fit 2 more or just lash the bikes together ?

Vlad

Yes you can add two more rails and blockers to make it a four biker, just give the shop staff a ring on 01-580-883062 and they will take an order and ship them to you by courier, don't forget to tell them you are a Funster with 10% discount:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
I use both, Thule for two bikes on the ball and two on the Fiamma rack.

Van came with a two bike rack and was concerned at adding extensions and additional weight. Towball is designed to take noseweight plus a great deal of dynamic force, not so sure my van wall is and would be hugely expensive to repair not only if I overstressed it but also the slightest nudge of the rack against something solid could cause massive damage.

I have far greater confidence in the structural integraty of the Thule mounted on the ball than the Fiamma hanging on my less substancial sidewalls :Smile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back