Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi,

We tow a Toyota Aygo on an A frame behind our new Adria Matrix 670 sl and noticed that the tow hitch is sitting high on the towball. With the vehicle laden and the Dunlop air assist at 40psi/2.75bar the height from the ground to the centre of the towball is 445mm and 470mm to the top.

EC directive 94/20/EC states towball height should be between 350 and 420mm. We believe the best ride for our Motorhome is with the air assist set at 2.75 bar but this means the tow ball height is not going to be compliant.

Although we have not encountered any problems so far towing the Aygo with the new Motorhome we don’t like the nose up attitude “so to speak” as it gives concern that it may cause damage to the cars suspension. We also wonder whether it would affect the stability of any two wheeled trailers that we may tow in the future.

It should be said that we have towed a car on an A frame behind our two previous non air assisted suspension Motorhomes with no problem but these have been with the tow hitch at a level attitude.

Has anyone encountered similar issues and if so how were they overcome please.

P.s.thought about getting drop plates to lower the towball height but until I speak to Memo Europe..the towbar manufacturer:supplier I don’t know if this is a legal option.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
42A93A8D-9C76-4FE1-9E8B-11A9E55D2BC3.jpeg
Tow Ball Drop Plate,simple to fit.

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
Just fit a drop plate, if you don't want an adjustable one you can buy a plain steel plate pre drilled mine has 6 holes in it 2 for fixing to tow bar and the others for height adjustment

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi,

We tow a Toyota Aygo on an A frame behind our new Adria Matrix 670 sl and noticed that the tow hitch is sitting high on the towball. With the vehicle laden and the Dunlop air assist at 40psi/2.75bar the height from the ground to the centre of the towball is 445mm and 470mm to the top.

EC directive 94/20/EC states towball height should be between 350 and 420mm. We believe the best ride for our Motorhome is with the air assist set at 2.75 bar but this means the tow ball height is not going to be compliant.

Although we have not encountered any problems so far towing the Aygo with the new Motorhome we don’t like the nose up attitude “so to speak” as it gives concern that it may cause damage to the cars suspension. We also wonder whether it would affect the stability of any two wheeled trailers that we may tow in the future.

It should be said that we have towed a car on an A frame behind our two previous non air assisted suspension Motorhomes with no problem but these have been with the tow hitch at a level attitude.

Has anyone encountered similar issues and if so how were they overcome please.

P.s.thought about getting drop plates to lower the towball height but until I speak to Memo Europe..the towbar manufacturer:supplier I don’t know if this is a legal option.

Thank you for your thoughts.

It is if the towbar was EC homologated with a drop plate as well as without.

View attachment 196814 Tow Ball Drop Plate,simple to fit.
Not legal to modify unless towbar was Ec homologated with a drop plate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I had a tow bar fitted by a dealer when I purchased the van. The bar was the wrong item and far to low. The only cure was to change the complete tow bar. I found TowTrust knew what they were selling unlike many dealers. Now sorted.

OP
OP
adamsale

adamsale

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
HI

Thank you for all replies. I should have mentioned it’s Swan neck towball attachment fitted to an extended chassis frame. I don’t think the drop plate as shown is suitable but thanks anyway. I’m really not sure if it’s possible to fit a drop plate to the type of towbar that’s fitted to our Motorhome.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
HI

Thank you for all replies. I should have mentioned it’s Swan neck towball attachment fitted to an extended chassis frame. I don’t think the drop plate as shown is suitable but thanks anyway. I’m really not sure if it’s possible to fit a drop plate to the type of towbar that’s fitted to our Motorhome.
Unfortunately you are right, it isn't ,nor do they homologate drop plates for them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
HI

You're buggered then.
Nothing will alter the height of a swan neck...either fixed or detachable.

Only thing that will happen as it is, there will be a higher downforce on the cars front suspension under heavy braking rather than transmitting the force along a horizontal axis.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It would not be good with a 2 wheeled trailer being nose up , but you could mod the front of the trailer to lift the tow coupling , as seen on some military trailers.
I think you are worrying unnecessarily re the a frame . horizontal would be ideal , but you are not going to damage the front suspension all vehicles have weight transference under braking that cause the front to dip to a certain degree even with anti dive front suspension geometry . The aygo isnt that heavy that it will lift the rear of your motorhome to a dangerous level under braking , especially as you are unlikely to be pushing limits whilst driving a motorhome ? also the front tyres will be transmitting braking force more efficiently under the load .

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Towing an A-frame should not matter as it's hinged at both ends and has little effect on the towed vehicle.
Towing a trailer could be problematic as they expect it to run more or less horizontally and, if too high at the front, may be too low at the back. If you cannot lower your swan neck, you may be able to raise the hitch of the trailer.

OP
OP
adamsale

adamsale

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
Thank you all again for the advice and reassurances regarding towing our Aygo on the a frame - all makes sense.

I agree that towing two wheeled trailers could be a problem and will investigate the suggested remedies. Given that the height of the towball appears to fall outside the EC directive is it still legal to tow with it???

Thanks for your views.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Given that the height of the towball appears to fall outside the EC directive is it still legal to tow with it???
I doubt very much anybody is going to check it anyway.
Unless it was ridiculously high it wouldn't stop me using it.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
It has type approval so is fit for purpose.
The op's air suspension has raised the rear of the van above the standard height which the bar was designed for.

Which bit of that isnt 'fit for purpose' .. for whatever reason ( in this case air suspension) it falls outside what it is supposed to be, the question is, was the ball fitted with the knowledge that the Air kit was fitted . I also agree that for pulling a car , its neither here nor there, but it may give issues with other stuff.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Which bit of that isnt 'fit for purpose' .. for whatever reason ( in this case air suspension) it falls outside what it is supposed to be, the question is, was the ball fitted with the knowledge that the Air kit was fitted . I also agree that for pulling a car , its neither here nor there, but it may give issues with other stuff.
It's exactly what its supposed to be, and do.
The manufacturer designed the bar to fit a standard height van therefore fit for purpose.
If the owner decides to alter the vehicle height it's not a design fault on the bar manufacturers part so again, fit for purpose.

Rather than 'not fit for purpose' maybe 'no fecking use in this instance' may be a better description.

OP
OP
adamsale

adamsale

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi and thank you for your comments.

The towbar was ordered prior to the air suspension being fitted though it was installed when the air suspension had been done.

Following the comments on this topic I am now of the opinion the air suspension is responsible for raising the long overhang and consequently the towball. I don’t think Towtal (towbar installer) is at fault here though I will talk to them tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions.

I could always reduce the air suspension pressure to 2 bar to lower the towball but I’m not keen to run at that lower pressure?

As an aside I had Air assist fitted to help with the up grade to 3850 kgs and to improve our Motorhomes ride and stability. I must say it’s been a very worthwhile addition apart from the issue it’s probably now presented.

Thank you

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldn't worry as its just 2" over the official tolerance of 3" difference from low to high.tolerance.
If it had been 6" I might give it some thought, but not 2"
Plus....the A frame brackets on the car may be attached lower than the lower ball limit which, even without the air, may make the upward angle of the frame higher than expected.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
With a longer overhang, a small increase in axle height will be much more by the time you get to the back.
I expect that the 'standard' height will have been established to give everyone a level to aim for. In practice some mis-matches look a bit odd if the trailer is travelling 'nose-up' but I can't see much problem if there's adequate ground clearance. If there was a fault in the height of your tow ball, I'd suggest it is with the installer of the air suspension.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Is the Swan neck Welded to the Bar Or (as was the case with one I had) Bolted to the Bar?.

If Bolted it may be possible to get one with a shallower curve. Failing that A good Blacksmith will be able to modify it. ;)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Of course, that's not intended for a motor vehicle. You need to keep the tow ball as close to the rear axle as possible and that thing extends a long way out. I guess it's for agricultural trailers which have a greater margin of hitch heights. Nice piece of engineering, though. And probably a tad expensive.

OP
OP
adamsale

adamsale

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
Thank you for your suggestions the swan neck is bolted to the bar... I will look into the possibility of a shallower fitment. The hitch height adjuster looks a novel idea but don’t think I’ll pursue that one but thank you anyway

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back