Towball not in centre of towbar (1 Viewer)

Boyd

Free Member
Feb 12, 2016
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 590
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,

A friend has helpfully pointed out that the tow ball on my tow bar is not in the centre. There seem to be there welded strengtheners for the bolts and it is using two that are not central. Is this a valid configuration?

It came fitted to my motorhome and I have no plans to use it but it would be nice to know that it is useable.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I would visit the local towbar fitting centre and listen to their comments, then evaluate for yourself.

You can get an estimate for rectification at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Boyd

Boyd

Free Member
Feb 12, 2016
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 590
Exp
I'm a newbie
IMG_1766.jpeg

the two bolts attach the tow ball (top) to the tow bar (light grey) The bar in the middle is the middle of my van and you can see a strengthening plate to the left of it. This looks like it should be where the left hand bolt for the tow ball should go.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wow that's a bit odd. Is there a hole through the bar to the left (in the picture) of the strengthening bar? If so you could move the ball over but why is that other hole there at all? Does it matter? Is the world really round? So many questions. (n)

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Probably been used for a towball mounted bike rack & deliberately mounted off centre to centre the bikeon the van.
If you want to tow a trailer just remount it in the centre.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would measure the distances between bolts and Holes, because as far as I can see the centres for the existing mounting are going to be LESS than the centres for the bolts either side of the bar. To put it bluntly "some bugger cocked up!". Remounting Square is likely to need fresh holes and Back stiffening!.

Pete

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Looking at it again those bolts look far too small in diameter for a towball anyway.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Boyd

Boyd

Free Member
Feb 12, 2016
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 590
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all your replies. I rang the manufacturer this morning and they are completely mystified as well. Luckily they are only a few miles away so I am going to run it over to them to have a look. I will mention the quality of the bolts when I am there.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back