Towable 5th wheel truck for 7 passengers? (1 Viewer)

Organised4chaos

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Funster No
Hi All,

Newbie here.. and hoping I can get advice from this knowledgeable member forum. We are a family of 7 (5 children‍♂️♂️♂️♂️♀️) and have been renting long-term (past 10yrs) bcos we have to be able to move for work. Now, we want to leave and go on the road full-time (is that gasps i here..).. and having looked at the options, I'd rather not be stuck in a regular UK caravan (No good for full-time living), Motorhome (not enough space due to driving area taking up vital portion & need a vehicle to use as run around too) or trailer (worried about towing and stability issues over a hitched 5th wheeler)... We have seen a couple of all-season 5th Wheelers, and the space inside to take more than the basics is amazing.

BUT we are struggling to find a suitable vehicle that could tow an American 5th wheeler and seat 7??⛟ It would also be out off-site vehicle to get around, shopping/client meets etc.

Any thoughts/ suggestions or knowledge of a vehicle that could do the job, without putting a child or 2 in the rooftop??

Thanks so much

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You would need to be looking at this sort of vehicle , Merc , Ford , and Iveco all do similar
17809278.jpg

There are no dual cab vehicles that seat 7 in UK , even in US they have to custom build , and are not suitable for UK
main-qimg-efe9ced39dd12094f61e30acfa382a08.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The Nissan Navara and Ford Ranger double cabs will seat 6 if you have the optional 3 seats in the front, but are too feeble to pull an American 5th wheeler. There are lighter British 5 wheelers available.

My recommendation would be a Land Rover Discovery 3 or 4 (Not the new one which is relatively titchy) which seats 7 and will pull pretty much anything (except the birds of course), and a large caravan. I have one and even the third row seats are OK even for adults. There are non-British caravans which are suitable for all year use.

Such as

Enormous of course but has wet central heating and sleeps 7
8ft wide but now permitted on UK roads due to change in the law (limit now 2.55m)

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a mitsubishi canter . double cab .
it seats seven . and has good under seat cupboards as well. copes very well pulling my lynton trailer.
they are very common here and abroad . made in portugal. plus morocco. mind my model is abit old now but the new ones are still made there .
have a look at them narrow and not too long . mind i took about 3 ft off the rear end of mines chassis .almost fits in a car space . ok with a little overhang .
with the trailer on fits in two ,one behind the other car spaces . ideal for supermarket parking abroad etc .

OP
OP
Organised4chaos

Organised4chaos

Free Member
May 10, 2018
Funster No
Thank you all so far.. ALL comments are valuable and very much appreciated. Not one to give up, we are desperate to find a way around the problem of 7 seats (leaving 1 child behind isn't a option, as I'm told that's classed as 'child abuse' now).

I will look at Iveco Daily Cab with my husband (he had said he didn't want a vehicle that looked like a work can).. Any other advice would be very welcome??

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
heres an old iveco info sheet for there mini artics . might help you.
i prefer the mitzy as its nice with no front overhang . but have helped a few build them over the years .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• img148.jpg
    img148.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 40

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind the toyota dyna could make a good one .
might have to go to portugal though for triple or dual cab versions . but they do a 4x4 version.
we called at the factory years ago and the first portugese 4x4 dyna was coming off the line . had a test ride in it the next day they do a good ride.

Attachments

• img130.jpg
    img130.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 37
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I would add that you are better with a dual cab seating 7 with the extra width , rather than a narrower 3 row set up, as the shorter the wheelbase in relation to kingpin to rear axle length , the more maneuverable the rig is , and also when running solo for parking .
The Iveco daily is a heavier duty vehicle than either ford or merc.

there is a configurator page for Iveco here https://www.iveco.com/uk/Pages/ConfiguratorPage.aspx

3894.png

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back