Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Hi People, just got my early retirement sorted out and now have funds to purchase a secondhand Smart Car for use with the motorhome, now my question is, does trailing the car cause more wear on all tyres and does it also increase the mileage on the trailed cars speedo, or would it be better to use a towing dolly to lift the front wheels from the road?
Do I have to use the reg no from the motorhome on the rear of the towed car or leave the cars reg on display.
Thanks in advance,

Deeps.

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Just get a trailer! I think you will find that a dolly would be illegal unless you are transporting a broken down vehicle a short distance.
Plenty of comments on here re A frame v trailer. Read then decide.
At the back of my mind I also think there is something about towing Smart cars. Have a word with. Merc/ Smart dealer first.

OP
OP
Deeps

Deeps

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Poursay, shall speak to dealer tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
A trailer will be more expensive than an A-frame but would allow you to change cars at no further expense. A-frame will limit where you can go as some countries are undecided about their legality. Speedo should not increment when using an A-frame and tyres will wear more because they are in use but they should not wear excessively. Don’t use a dolly. Reg should change to that of the towing vehicle.

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Don't forget a Smart Car is rear wheel drive so having the front wheels off the ground will make no difference

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If it is a newish Smart then you might just wreck the gearbox by towing it. I understand the older ones were OK. different system.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As Phil Collins wrote "In the air tonight" get the popcorn out I feel a new Aframe debate coming on (y) oh goody

OP
OP
Deeps

Deeps

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks everybody, I have googled lots of info, looks like I shall go for A frame but ensure I follow the instructions given by merc/smart prior to towing, it's mainly to ensure Neutral is correctly selected.

Roadracer2002

Free Member
Nov 14, 2014
Northants
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
Since 2015
We've been towing a Smart on an A-frame for just over a year now. Best decision we made as it opens up lots of options when on site and not wishing to move the whole motorhome. Some may say tow a caravan if you want a car, but with a motorhome towing a car you have a choice to take the car or not, depending where you are going and for how long. We take bikes as well.

See many previous posts about towing vs trailer but at the end of the day you have to make your own decision.

The facts regarding A-frame towing as far as I am aware are;

1) definitely illegal in most of Europe, though some will say they haven't been stopped
2) they are not legal in U.K. Though neither are they illegal if you have towing vehicle reg plate covering towed vehicle registration, red triangles, lights working like a trailer and brakes operational on towed vehicle. With this set up the car is now classified as a trailer.
3) if you are towing a Smart car there is no steering wheel lock to worry about and so long as the car is in neutral no damage will be inflicted on the drivetrain. The central locking can be used and the odometer mileage will not increase.

Best of luck with your decision,

Hadrian

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been towing a Smart on an A-frame for just over a year now. Best decision we made as it opens up lots of options when on site and not wishing to move the whole motorhome. Some may say tow a caravan if you want a car, but with a motorhome towing a car you have a choice to take the car or not, depending where you are going and for how long. We take bikes as well.

See many previous posts about towing vs trailer but at the end of the day you have to make your own decision.

The facts regarding A-frame towing as far as I am aware are;

1) definitely illegal in most of Europe, though some will say they haven't been stopped
2) they are not legal in U.K. Though neither are they illegal if you have towing vehicle reg plate covering towed vehicle registration, red triangles, lights working like a trailer and brakes operational on towed vehicle. With this set up the car is now classified as a trailer.
3) if you are towing a Smart car there is no steering wheel lock to worry about and so long as the car is in neutral no damage will be inflicted on the drivetrain. The central locking can be used and the odometer mileage will not increase.

Best of luck with your decision,

Hadrian

... and one reason why I would NEVER buy a Smart car with an A frame fitting already as you cannot tell how many miles it has actually travelled.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi Took this from another thread I posted some time back. and is my Personal view on "A" frames:-

As someone who started caravanning circa 1970. And went to a R-V, when they told my wife she should no longer travel long distances without regular breaks, May I say:- I have "Toaded" all over the USA, 15000+miles in fact. Where the practice is universally accepted. I have never been able to understand the "European Phobia" against the practice. But then, That`s Europe!. (Stupidity personified IMHO). The pro`s and cons are well known, and as (allegedly) free persons we can make educated choices according to our will. There are known arguments for and against the practice. Having recently returned to the use of a Motor-home, after a 3 year break during which we had a Caravan, that which we discarded largely because neither myself nor my (disabled) wife could sit comfortably in the Seating, whereas now we have a "Captains" chair each with a leg-rest (side bench). I tow an old Punto on "A" frame. AND IT WORKS FOR US!. It is however a Grey area. having (unlike "Dolly" Frames) never been tested in the law courts. BTW, I Know from experience that my (now) rig is far quicker to set -up than a Caravan!. Unless or until they are the subject of a "test" case (as happened with "Dolly" frames) then the legality is not an issue. Any debate as to the "technical" aspect of use is just that, a debate!.

BTW. US Style "tow dollys" are completely reversible!. I know, I brought a Rental car from Florida to Texas on a "U-Haul" one, Behind the R-V when we Bought It!, It is also IMHO an even better device than an "A" frame but has been judged as "legal only for the recovery of disabled vehicles" by the Courts Circa 1975ish.

IF, I decide in the future to go back to Spain, as we did for many years prior to choosing the USA. I would likely buy a Smart and Trailer it, JUST to avoid the hassle of being "pulled" by Spanish "plod" (3 times). Someone makes (made) a trailer with a folding Draw bar, and that would take up the least space on site. ( one guy I know, put plywood base on the trailer and used it for a Gazebo, to Barbecue in / on!).

Pete

OP
OP
Deeps

Deeps

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Decided not get a tow car, shall stick with the electric bikes for the time being. Sounds like too much hassle, thanks all though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back