Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well said camcondor. I can't afford to tow a car behind, and I have a rather aged MH.

But if I had the money I would have a very big MH and tow a car behind it.:thumb:

But if I had REAL money I would probably fly to my destination in a private aircraft and have a limousine drive me to the hotel.::bigsmile:

Whatever you can afford to do and makes you happy is what makes life worthwhile. I have seen too many friends and ex-colleagues die long before they get to enjoy the fruits of their labours. So we are now enjoying what little we have with no concerns. And life is now less stressful.:Smile:

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Last year on an aire in France this guy had a tag axle motorhome I think it was an Auto trail 757 and a Ford Focus they had just come up from Spain I said sureley you do not tow that car with the motorhome Oh no he said the wife drives the car and I drive the motorhome must be some logic there that I missed:roflmto:
We pick up a new caravan on Thursday after 4 years of motorhoming yes we enjoyed motorhoming mainly in France and yes we missed not having a car to run about in , but now we are going to have a go at caravanning for a change as we all know there is no real perfect solution to having either a motorhome or a caravan there are plus and minus points with both all we really need is perfect weather and a good sense of adventure so just get out there and relax:Cool:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, like most we have been caravanner's :whatthe: and had a couple of scooters on the rack, had a toad and now a car on a trailer and of course bicycles, and the best thing about towing a car is...................you don't always need to take it, you don't go far in a caravan without the car.:Doh:We have just altered our booking for our August / October trip with Norfolkline for January / March because we decided we don't need the car, and because we used a promotion code there is no charge.::bigsmile:

When we had a caravan you had to go on campsites and travel out and back every day,:RollEyes: With the motorhome there is no going back, the only time we have a base is in Spain where we use sites, then take the car, otherwise we tour stop anywhere we like and never plan anything. ::bigsmile: Oh sorry we have planned our August trip we have changed countries and its now going from Harwich on Stenaline using Tesco club card points.:winky: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freetraveller

Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Im new to the forum but I just had to reply to this thread. :Smile:

Please don't tell me that because we choose to tow a small car behind our motorhome from time to time, that we ought to convert from being motorhomers to tuggers! :Sad: Owning a caravan is not something we crave at all and for us a caravan is for the less adventurous traveller! As much as a caravan may suit others, we personally would really hate the restrictions that a caravan would bestow upon us. How limiting would it be to have to be hooked up to an ehu most of the time and having to always stay on boring campsites? I would HATE that and to have to plan our weekend, holiday or trip around which is the best campsite to stay on would be my idea of camping imprisonment! We like to wild camp and we like to be free to come and go as we please and the whole point of a mh is that you have all your facilities onboard and don't need to always rely on campsites for everything! Campsites to us are places we stay on if we cannot find a suitable or safe wildcamping spot or if we are visiting an area and wish to stay in one place for a few days but to use them all of the time and never enjoy true freedom is not our idea of fun!

If towing a car behind our mh enhances the freedom we enjoy even more then I'm all for it and the more options one can have in life the better! Let's face it, when you tow a car behind a mh, you do so because you choose to and not because you have to and if we decide to leave our toad behind, then we can! We don't have to take it along and it is purely down to freedom of choice ....... now try leaving the car behind when you own a caravan and you might find you have a wee bit of a problem :RollEyes:

We are lucky and we can afford to tow a car and we dont have to worry about the running costs and I guess most others who tow are in the same boat as us? So to those who question our reasons for towing a car behind our motorhomes I say "don't worry about us as we are all very happy with our choices!"

chas

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
32 long years !
Still no mention of the "demountable units" perhaps not suitable for a family group, but many motorhomers only consist of 2 people, advantages, only one vehicle to maintain,tax insure, with a drive away awning all the space you need.
Disadvantage, mounting and dismounting, but with practice, no worrys.
Just a thought in these cash strapped times. :winky:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
have a autosleeper Topaz, only mode of transport, could put bike on back or an eleci folder, to put inside,, use the free bus pass for travel, bliss!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't tow yet but I intend to.

A question though for those in the know:

My burstner has a 2.3 diesel engine on a Fiat Ducato maxi chassis.

Is it a bit underpowered to tow say a little Citroen or Peugeot?

The engine copes with the MH just fine but I am unsure what impact the toad would have.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
power isnt a problem .you just go slow. every body seems to be in a rush .when towing you should be driving steady and safely more so than solo. yes it slows you down. cheers alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
chas , i have had 2 suntrecker demounts .they are a good bit of kit .but its fair to say you dont drop them off just to go shopping etc . foget ten twenty minute times .it can be done but once on you tend to leave them on till you get home. still look for them on ebay though always handy if you have a pickup. cheers alan.
have thought of a demount lorry box conversion thats easier to un load ,or a rollon/rolloff outfit . be different.

Freetraveller

Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
have a autosleeper Topaz, only mode of transport, could put bike on back or an eleci folder, to put inside,, use the free bus pass for travel, bliss!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

So pleased to hear you are so happy with your choice, as after all, this is what motorhoming is all about and it isn't about what others do, think or have is it? It's about pleasing oneself and doing whatever makes your motorhoming experiences the best it can be for YOU! I know towing a car is not for everyone and obviously it wouldnt be everyone's choice to tow a toad but we are all different and we all have our own view of such things! Long may such individuality continue, as otherwise life would be pretty dull and boring if we all thought and felt the same way!

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Yeah but it still doesnt make any sence to some of us LOL

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
This is a real no brainer????

If you wear long trousers in the summer, it is because you feel comfortable doing so.

If you have a flat top haircut, it is because you like the haircut.

If you tow a car behind your MH, it is because it suits your travelling requirments.

There is no science, it is just personal choice through experience.

I will be investing in a trailer to tow my car in the near future, and that is because a MH offers you a choice of travel options that I prefer. One trip I may only want to travel around in my RV, so don't take the car, but another trip I may be stopping in one location and a car is useful. It may be that I want to stop in one location for a prolonged time, or I may want to use one location as a base long term, and leave the car at the base location and explore in my MH for a few days elsewhere.

Caravans do not offer these options that are important to me. This does not means caravans do not provide other options, it is just they are not what I require.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Why not ?

I dont myself but i can see the logic in towing a small car,especially if your going away for a long trip etc.
A motorhome can be a big awkward vehicle to trundle around down unexplored streets and villages,( i have been in some sticky spots,looking for 'wildcamping' places )also can be very tiring,but with a little car to unhook and explore takes the 'hardness' out of it,especially when you have found a nice little spot you dont really want to move from,me,at the moment use a fold up bike,but next will be a small 2 seater lightweight moped,to nip around on,as said each to their own,keep an open mind and let others do what they want,it doesn't stop your fun or M/Homing ? so why the question ? :winky:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
It would seem that all these variations have there own advantages

When its 30 degrees and there are little roads and mountains to explore out scooter surely wins.

When its raining or cold the toad has got to be a great asset.

If you carry neither then yes you dont have any speed restrictions or wieght problems and providing you can get near where you want to be your fine and if your fit you can walk or cycle.

Its all horses for courses.

There have been moments where I have had so much fun on the bike, climbing the alps or posing round St Tropez harbour but there have occasionally been times where I wished I had a car like when its been -8 degrees or chucking it down.

You have to appreciate that everyones different and whilst I think it may be fun to tear down a mountain road in shorts and a T shirt with a big grin on my face on me bike others would not.

There is no way however I would have a MH as big as ours without some other form of powered transport.

Liane

Free Member
May 5, 2010
Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
Exp
Since April 2010
We've only had our MH a few months, and have been away in it loads. My partner and I live 200 miles apart, so I tend to drive the MH to where we want to spend the weekend and he meets me there and we have a car at our disposal. However, I took the youngsters to Devon and Cornwall last week, without my partner, and we toured around, staying at several different campsites. We had a fabulous time. I am not sure I would have wanted to hitch up a caravan several times over and move on, so the MH did give us a huge amount of flexibility. I did need to move off site to the shops a few times for supplies, and had no problems driving through the varicose veins otherwise known as Cornish country lanes ::bigsmile: One thing I will be very wary of in the future though, is to not pay too much attention to the sat nav, and to check a map before setting off. I was heading towards a campsite in Mevagissey and ended up turning off the main route far too early and found myself in some narrow lanes. Then I spotted the Narrow Streets sign a bit too late and had a bit of a struggle getting through Mevagissey, and saw some very odd expressions on people's faces, but if I can manage that in my MH then I can manage anything now. :Smile: I also drive a MPV which I could do with downsizing as two of my children are grown away now and had considered getting something small to tow behind the MH, but I am not sure I need bother now after my Cornwall trip. :ROFLMAO:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
One thing I will be very wary of in the future though, is to not pay too much attention to the sat nav, and to check a map before setting off. .

I found this out the other week in north wales :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back