LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
i have warning triangles fitted with suction cups on the inside of the rear window of our Smart car when we tow it behind the Moho. These were supplied by Armitage's with the A frame, who also advised me that an "On Tow" sign was not allowed ( should be used only for vehicle recovery). However, I have seen towed cars behind Mohos with "Towed Vehicle", " Tow Car", "Towed Car" signs, and feel that it would be better to have one of those complete with warning triangles to stop other drivers trying to get between the Moho and Smart! Does anyone know where I could get a sign like this and which words are/are not legal?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
eBay would be my first look see.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Me I am always in the ' the more signs and warnings the better' brigade. You should be able to get a magnetic sign on ebay. I tow vehicles on an A frame and always have a TOWING sign on the front and an ON TOW at the rear. Never been challenged about it in 50 years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Surely, if you are relying on the fact that the wheeled vehicle, (I'm choosing my words here) is in fact a trailer and not a fully equipped mechanically propelled vehicle,then it would be prudent NOT to put any form of sign alluding to the phrase or word, 'Tow' or 'Towing'.

When was the last time you saw a 'Trailer' carrying such a sign?

Putting my former headgear on, I would suggest that the omission of the sign causes no problems but the presence of the sign may given rise to someone suggesting that it isn't a trailer at all.

Whilst we can argue all day, (and night) about the legality or otherwise of attaching a toad to the rear, why give someone the 'evidence', however slight.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I got my magnetic signs from e bay ,after a row on the road with an idiot driver who wanted me to back up a long way when I was towing my car with an a frame ,when all he had to do was reverse into a side road .I have also when in the TA many years ago had someone try to drive between the breakdown vehicle and the towed vehicle whilst driving back to the barracks ,I was driving the breakdown wagon and his car was nearly lifted off the floor as I took up the slack on the tow chain/wires,he was coming out of a narrow side street.They walk amongst us so when towing extreme caution is king.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have a magnetic 'On Tow' sign on the rear of our toad and have never had any problems.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If you really want one then I agree with @Lofty1 ... I have one but never use it but wont get rid as it will eventually go with the toad if we sell it.

PS It's not magnetic, which of course would not attach to glass or plastic panels.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I use reflective magnetic on tow signs on the side of the car. I know it should be obvious that it is attached to the mh. I have only twice had a problem and both times it has been from merging traffic which is dropping back hoping to slot in behind me. I guess they dont see the towed car in their wing mirror and think there is half a gap, so something distinctive on the side may help.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
i have warning triangles fitted with suction cups on the inside of the rear window of our Smart car when we tow it behind the Moho. These were supplied by Armitage's with the A frame, who also advised me that an "On Tow" sign was not allowed ( should be used only for vehicle recovery). However, I have seen towed cars behind Mohos with "Towed Vehicle", " Tow Car", "Towed Car" signs, and feel that it would be better to have one of those complete with warning triangles to stop other drivers trying to get between the Moho and Smart! Does anyone know where I could get a sign like this and which words are/are not legal?
I'm a signwriter of 38 years. I can make you one just need sizes colour etc. PM me if you need help.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Following on from wiljoy's post, when we had a RV, I designed a sign which had an outline of the rear of the RV with an outline of the toad connected behind it. They were handed and I had two each side, one at car window height, and one at HGV hight. They were held on with velcro. You could have a pictorial sign made up for the rear window which showed an outline of a MH with an outline of a car behind it. You could also show the overall length if you wished.

Malcolm

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I got my magnetic signs from e bay ,after a row on the road with an idiot driver who wanted me to back up a long way when I was towing my car with an a frame ,when all he had to do was reverse into a side road .I have also when in the TA many years ago had someone try to drive between the breakdown vehicle and the towed vehicle whilst driving back to the barracks ,I was driving the breakdown wagon and his car was nearly lifted off the floor as I took up the slack on the tow chain/wires,he was coming out of a narrow side street.They walk amongst us so when towing extreme caution is king.

Think it would be a struggle to get between a Toad and a motorhome,,much to close,,BUSBY,,

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Halfords for a yellow rear plate without lettering £3.50 Suction pads £ 1.50 for 4, lettering from B&Q £5

Seams the way to me?

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
If they are needed ,why don't caravans have them?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Personally I dont think they are required. It may be something that we all just do . Belt and bracers approach I think?
We have been pulled over for a check with ours on the back and no 'on tow' sign. Nothing was said at all. Paperwork was checked and they let us go.

Kev

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Long Vehicle sign might be more appropriate?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The triangles are required on all trailers , some trucks fail at MOT if
they have had the taillights replaced with trailer ones that incorporate the triangles .
Having an "on tow" sign is not prescribed or proscribed by law
the triangles are supposed to do the same job if people have the knowledge .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back