Tow car recommendations able to carry big dog and bigger driver.... (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Just an idea at the moment.

We currently tow a Piaggio MP3 three wheeled scooter when abroad. We will carry on doing this, or change to a car. Not towing something is not an option so I would be grateful if any negative comments re towing were not included here please. There is another thread running where those comments would be welcome.

The scooter gives us a lot of freedom which we like but we are limited to how long we are able/prepared to leave our medium sized German Shepherd in the MH. Hence we are considering whether a tow car would be a better option, especially as we would also use it as a second car at home so it wouldn't be sitting around at home either.

I have no idea if there are any small cars out there for this purpose that a) can also carry a GS and b) can also accommodate two adults including a 6ft 5in driver with long legs. We would not obviously be covering huge distances in it and at home it would be the wifes run around, so no problem there.

As always, budget is important, we would not be able to justify spending a huge amount on a car/trailer combo. Have seen Smart car/trailer combo's on here selling for around £3500 (which is what started me thinking about this) and that is around what we would want to spend, not a lot I know. A Smart would not accommodate the dog from what I have seen.

My one concern is that now when I occasionally take a wrong turn (never my fault) and have to do a swift about turn with the scooter, although it is about 240Kgs + trailer, i can quickly unhook it, spin it round then turn the MH and hook up again. is that also possible with a car/trailer?

Any suggestions as to what car would maybe suit our needs would be welcome.

Would be towing with a Swift KonTiki 669 Tag.

Thanks

Steve

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Small van ? Bedford Rascal type thingy. Only one up from a scooter i know,but,you could always put windows in the side/s,roof lights? for the growler when in sunnier climes,plus,it will fit in anywhere,on or off site/Aire. Worth a punt ?
Tea Bag

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have a GSD/Border Collie cross who is quite big.

For a period we towed a caravan using a Ford Mondeo estate. Considered it to be a great car for towing and solo with bags of pulling power and lots of room for the dog. What car described it as having one of the largest load spaces of any estate. Also has good headroom for the dog as the tail end of the roof doesn't taper too much.

Bought our at one year old from ex-lease Company, saving a packet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Might be worth trying a fiat panda to see if you fit hired one last summer seemed a lot of space

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
If you intend using it abroad you need a trailer for the car (read about A Frames and Spain) but you have to have a Gross Train Weight that allows you to tow the loaded trailer NB if you are stopped it will be the plated weight (if higher) of the trailer that is used and not the actual weight at the time!

If not going abroad we use a 2006 SMART ForFour fitted with the Unibrake system and would recommend it.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the replies so far.

Just in case I have'nt explained it very well, I am looking for small car and trailer combinations that can be towed behind our MH for use mainly abroad. Most Smart cars I have seen the rear of the front seats are close to the rear window hence no room for dog, unless I am missing something.

Thanks

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you intend using it abroad you need a trailer for the car (read about A Frames and Spain) but you have to have a Gross Train Weight that allows you to tow the loaded trailer NB if you are stopped it will be the plated weight (if higher) of the trailer that is used and not the actual weight at the time!

If not going abroad we use a 2006 SMART ForFour fitted with the Unibrake system and would recommend it.

Thanks, will check the Gross Train weight. Smart For Four looks interesting.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As Phil said, you need to know the max weight you can tow....the train weight LESS the actual loaded weight of your van.
A lot of vans have between 1600kg and 2000kg as a max trailer weight...but some can be less.

The weight of the car doesnt matter providing it doesnt overload the trailers GROSS weight.
A 2000kg trailer may have a cargo limit of 1400kg/1500kg so you can carry just about any mid sized family car providing the whole trailer doesnt exceed 2000kg.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Maximum Technical Permissable Laden Mass (A) 5000kg 98.4cwt
Mass in Running Order (B) 4059kg 79.9cwt 4109kg 80.9cwt 4126kg 81.2cwt
Maximum User Payload (A-B) 941kg 18.5cwt 981kg 19.3cwt 874kg 17.2cwt

Maximum Recommended Trailer Weight 1600kg 31.5cwt
Gross Train Weight 6000kg 118.1cwt

This is from the Swift website for the current version of the 669.

So i am guessing ours will be similar, if not exact. I will check, but assuming our numbers are the same, does this mean.......

The car and trailer have to weigh no more than 1600Kg ??

Thanks

Last edited:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
If you are towing with a tag check your train weight it should be 6000kg if your van is 5000kg loaded that only leaves you 1000kg to tow

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Encantador
Sorry. In my reply I had totally misread your initial post. Now, where have I put my appointment card for Specsavers.:whistle:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Easily done, the term 'tow car' was the culprit me thinks........:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to go to a weighbridge first and check what your MH weighs in full touring trim to find out if you have enough 'train' capacity left to be able to do what you want.

As for a Smart ForTwo - we can carry our 3 dogs in the back (see below) but not sure whether your GS will be okay as they do vary in size so your idea of medium could be my idea of massive! However the fact that the boot size could restrict movement (ie not turning around) could be a bonus as it would stop him from being 'thrown' about as you wiz round corners!

There is a LOT of room in the front of a Smart ForTwo as well so you might find you don't actually need to have the seats pushed right back - they certainly have good headroom so if you're long in the body and not the leg it wouldn't cause you problems. Best bet is to go and have a look at a Smart ForTwo and see what you think. One thing we DO like is the way that the rear boot opens, you can open just the top glass half which means that the dogs can't easily get out which is ideal for putting leads on, or just letting them have a sniff of the air, drink etc, but if you open the bottom part too it makes a nice sitting platform for you and the dog and might also make it easier to get the dog in/out. They do have the advantage that they are lighter weight than virtually all other small cars (except the new model which is heavier).

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
We tow a citroen c1 behind our bailey approach 740 se and I'm a big bloke but there is plenty of room for me and the Mrs, it cheap to run as only £20 a year tax

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We tow (occassionally) a Suzuki Alto, though basically as a two seater as with the back seat down there is room for our two Border Collies.

Watch your weight though as Tag axle motorhomes have reduced towing capacity as the uprated GVW doesn't increase the train weight, some have virtually no towing capacity.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
We have dog trailer which is towed behind electric bike is there a more substantial trailer for your dog which could be towed behind your scooter? Possibility!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
image.jpeg
We tow a Fiat Panda 4x4 it weighs 1015 Kg on a twin wheeled trailer weighs 500kg with Mgw 1750 tows really well and we take our two dogs with us with room for two passengers.
The standard Panda is a little lighter they are a great little car

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
See if they do a trailer for a Panda they must do one for a dog

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We have the wife's Daihatsu Sirion. surprisingly spacious for 2 very large people and 3 dogs plus shopping

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We have pulled a Fiat Panda and latterly a Kia Picanto, both great wee cars. They were both on a Brian James Micro Max trailer. Towed behind our Bailey Approach 740 with the pug 2.2.
We have a Yorkie not small ankle biter a bit bigger, car has air con and gives you lots of freedom to go wherever you want to go !!
Two years ago we took our Mazda Mx5 Mk1 there for the summer, now have a Mk2 and and thinking of taking it again this year but this would be no good for a large dog (unless you can leave the wife in the moho , lol !!)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Honda Jazz ? Never towed one but spacious and my two dogs had plenty of room behind the back seat. Drop the back seats and I've moved a fridge freezer, double bed frame, dining table and chairs easily ( though not all at same time!)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
View attachment 99682 We tow a Fiat Panda 4x4 it weighs 1015 Kg on a twin wheeled trailer weighs 500kg with Mgw 1750 tows really well and we take our two dogs with us with room for two passengers.
The standard Panda is a little lighter they are a great little car

Was told by our A frame fitter that the Fiat Panda is the most popular car for the job due to it having the most interior space that that the usual tow cars have.

We have an IQ which is huge in the front but would fail miserably as a dog carrier .

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
As you already used to riding 2 or 3 wheels and have the gear, how about a quad with a box on the back for the dog. Seeing more and more of these. Don't know if it down to a clamp down on A frames abroad or towing weight restrictions, but it is something that I am looking into.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have often carried a friends Rotty for him in the back of the Smarty.. Plenty of room, and believe me, he is a LUMP !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back