Tow Bars - Fixed vs. Detachable ? (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
A bit of forward planning, what are your thoughts on the pros and cons of fixed versus detachable on something as big as a PVC, where aesthetics are not really an issue.

At the moment I'm favouring a fixed bar, as it offers a little bit of rear end protection against low speed nudges and I can't think of an occasion where I would need to take the bar off. I always had fixed bars during my caravanning days, so I have no experience of any pro points of detachables.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Not so much a bar, nor detachable - but this is the sort of thing my PVC will have...

Citroen-Relay-van-fitted-Towbar-DanHire-Towbars-1.jpg

Eminently usable but fairly discrete.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The2i's

Free Member
Nov 7, 2016
Appleby, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2016
Unless a towball obscures a fog light or number plate, or prevents full use of, say, a drop down tail gate on some SUV's, then aesthetics is the only reason to have a detachable. Detachable towbars on vans are rarely discreet anyway, so I reckon you should go for a fixed one.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Have you been given a price yet ?
For the van or for the towbar :D2.
Yes - I doubt it is the cheapest option but it is the convenience as well. Collect van with all chosen kit fitted, ready to go. No taking it off the road to have a third party fit this or that sometime later & one port of call if something goes fizzle splut or clang.
PM me if you want option cost.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
as quite regular fitters of towing systems I can say
The cost of fixed bars are usually a good deal cheaper to buy than detatchables.
Fitting cost should be exactly the same for either, as the removable bit is factory built into the bar itself and require no extra labour
From experience and personal choice on a PV, Id go standard two bolt fixed Alko ball with a steel step, £20 for the steel grid variety
For those that dont know an Alko tow ball will take all types of hitches, standard ball wont take an alko hitch

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If you want to use a scooter rack a fixed tow bar is best. My tow bar is the same as the one shown, westphalia, and is th one recommended for the ducato.
Phil

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fixed and detachable are available in flange and swan neck. Choice depends on type of use, aesthetics and practicality.

Good info plus pro's and con's here https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bar-types-explained.html

Benefits of the fixed flange tow bar are:

• Capable of fitting a tow bar and pin system required to pull plant trailers and generators
• Capable of fitting a bumper protector plate
• Capable of using height adjustable couplings, drop plates and spacers to get different towing heights and clearances

They don't mention though that drop plates & pin systems can only be fitted to them if the original tow bar was homologated to be able to use them. If it wasn't then using one makes the tow bar illegal.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
For a PVC I paid around £120 for a tow bar and electrics from a company off eBay, did go and pick up myself and saved on the shipping, really easy to fit as all the holes are pre drilled into the chassis already, only cutting that needed to be done was underneath the plastic bumper (around 12"x3 - not even visible unless you get under the van) and that was it - very easy to remove as well, as when i sold the van i took it off.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I have a detachable tow bar , without the towbar my Moho is 7.99 meters long ,when i want to go someplace where i am going to be financially penalised for being over 8 meters i remove the tow bar(y)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Our towbar is fixed on the moho but I have a kit for reversing sensors & am wondering if the towball might be a pest when using the sensors. Our car will get a towbar fitted soon but it must be removable due to its sensors & to make matters worse the car has one of these self parallel park thingy's as standard (never used it), but if I only ever used reversing camera's or just good old fashioned watching where I was going I'd just go for a fixed towball.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Definitely Fixed.
A simple but effective device for locating bollards, kerbs, odd rocks, fence posts, waste bins etc and will prevent said obstacles from scratching your paintwork.
It's also nice to have when shuffling along in a traffic queue or sitting in front of a tailgater when you can smugly sing "My towbar's tougher than your front bumper"

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Our towbar is fixed on the moho but I have a kit for reversing sensors & am wondering if the towball might be a pest when using the sensors. Our car will get a towbar fitted soon but it must be removable due to its sensors & to make matters worse the car has one of these self parallel park thingy's as standard (never used it), but if I only ever used reversing camera's or just good old fashioned watching where I was going I'd just go for a fixed towball.

To save a lot of hassle and irritation albeit at a cost, modern vehicles need to be fitted with dedicated rather than universal tow bar electrics, it will then automatically adjust to things like parking aids, reversing cameras, braking and engine electronics, suspension system and all the other gizmos fitted theses days.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
To save a lot of hassle and irritation albeit at a cost, modern vehicles need to be fitted with dedicated rather than universal tow bar electrics, it will then automatically adjust to things like parking aids, reversing cameras, braking and engine electronics, suspension system and all the other gizmos fitted theses days.

Our last Range Rover (L322 V8 diesel Vogue SE) had a swan neck genuine Land Rover towbar & dedicated electrics, so when you put the towball on & towed anything it all worked perfectly but if you took the trailer off but left the ball on the reversing sensors (standard fit) went into meltdown! T'was bloody annoying lol. :cry:

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I have a detachable towbar on our T5 and it's very discreet when not fitted, just a black square with Thule written on it. The electric socket is underneath. It was slightly more expensive than the flanged version.

I haven't priced them up for the new Kingham, but I will be doing so very soon and if there is only a modest difference I will go with detachable again.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Don't forget to tell your insurance company. I have never had a problem or a charge but was told tow bars count as a modification and it is shown on my policy as such.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
On a car, detachable definitely saves your shins! So easy to knock into a fixed one when loading or unloading the boot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back