Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Hello fellow travellers. Help required please.
No matter which ferry we board or disembark from, there is always that sickening sound of the towbar grinding along the deck and the scraping sound of the stainless steel unraveling
off the bar itself.
Is there a company who make a towbar which which sits higher from the ground or is a Burstner Travel Van already too low at the rear to support electric bikes and the their rack?
Thankyou.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
possibly just down to being too long on the overhang .
60%is really the max as a rule of thumb .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Quite a few of the older R-V`s had Rollers on the rear chassis or the Draw bar, for this very reason, Long overhangs are always an issue on ferry ramps. I put a Groove in the tarmac outside a Service bay once!, coming off the four post ramp. Completely Destroyed a Trailer Jockey wheel too, at Dover circa 2002!. Brian James Freighted one to a French camp-site, BUT I couldn't unhitch until it Arrived!!! caused some "fun" that did Parking in Aires and the like.

Pete

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The centre of the towball is a standard height 350-420mm from ground to centre of ball and must not drop more that 25mm with vehicle fully laden.
As said air assist on the suspension probably your best option.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Hymer did touch its bum coming off a ferry ramp , very slight and watched by the loading officer. I looked and it was the bottom of the waste tank straps which are inboard a bit. I noticed others of the same type that had rubbed the fibreglass bits right through to the foam.
I have fitted a set of cheapy airbags for £320 and they raise the rear by 3 inches also fitted towbar extensions bar for a later towbar fitting, that will now touch first so I am going to fit small nylon wheels on the rear of them. Don't fit too much weight in the garage helps.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I don't believe that fitting rollers or wheels at the back is a good idea, I may be wrong but you could do a lot of damage by putting stress on somewhere that is not designed for it.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I have just fitted a tricycle rack and by coincidence also just had air suspension fitted also. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that the air suspension can raise the rear end quite considerably. Even at just 40 psi mine raised 1" at the axle and although I've not measured it that has to be a couple of inches at the tow bar taking overhang into account.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted two steel rollers to the underside of the towbar longtitudals, works GREAT.
Instead of putting undue strain on the towbar it now runs over the boarding ramps, a bit bumpy usually.
Hull to Zeebrugge and back last two weeks not a problem.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I don't believe that fitting rollers or wheels at the back is a good idea, I may be wrong but you could do a lot of damage by putting stress on somewhere that is not designed for it.
Better off a bit of weight on a steel bar built like a Brick Shi++++se than to bang the back of a plastic body, The bar goes on to the chassis. so the forces are better there. Better if the designer made them clear a reasonable height.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
As a matter of interest was anything being towed at the time?
Always a problem with two axle vans is on seven meters + there is too much overhang !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As Previously Stated, the major issue is more often the length of the overhang. Air suspension May affect a partial cure. But as someone who used to work on Ro-Ro Ferries I have seen some spectacularly STEEP ramps, dependant upon Tidal conditions!. Some ports 30degrees is NOT impossible!. We discharged 40+ of Gadaffi`s small armoured "Tanks" once at Tripoli. they got off ONLY because they where tracked vehicles!, and even then where sliding all over the place on the steel ramp decking!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back