Tow bar recommendations please. (1 Viewer)

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Hey everyone, I'm sure it's been on here a million times but I need some advice please, I have a 2004 bessacarr E795 Motorhome on an alco chassis and I need a type approved tow bar, I'm struggling on finding a place to do it? I don't mind abit of distance to get it done, I'm in Norfolk. All recommendations welcome, cheers.

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Dave
Oh really? I didn't know that, does it make a difference in the rest of europe though? I'm planning a big trip all over Europe and don't want to get caught out. Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
All legislation is generally Euro approved not just UK so the rules should apply across the EU.

94/20EC Type Approved Motorhome Towbars

Do a search and have a read but as I read it Pre 2012 states anything is ok, After that u need a type approved towbar.

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/type_approved_motorhome_towbars.html

That should explain a bit. Witter and other towbar fitting companies didl recommend that u remove your existing non type towbar, throw it away and replace with one of theirs but I do not believe they are correct in that.

https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/help-advice/regulation-55-approval-at-a-glance

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Mike I'm going to give watling towbars a call tomorrow.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They fitted the tow bar to my Ducato and did a great job. The hab. check they did for me was not so good.

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you Stan and Shirley I will look into them today :)

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
UK Towbars are on the job, they are mega helpful and cleared up all my questions :) as you all knew type approved tow bars are not needed and don't even exist for motorhomes older than a 2012, good for me I guess lol. £500+vat for fitting and a 13 pin plug.....is that an ok price? Sorry never bought a tow bar before haha.

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
Just don't use Armitage in Ferrybridge
Armitage fit a tow bar for me and when I checked they had fitted it to the end of the chassis extension which wasn't to well attached to the chassis. They had to remove it and fit it to the vehicle chassis. (n)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
They made a crap job on mine when I pulled them about it they said pull back in the garage and we will put it right I declined the offer and did it myself after all they only charged me around £700 for the privilege.
I did put a thread up some time ago but not sure how to find it,been to busy refitting a towbar.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Armitage fit a tow bar for me and when I checked they had fitted it to the end of the chassis extension which wasn't to well attached to the chassis. They had to remove it and fit it to the vehicle chassis. (n)
They fitted my tow bar to a Carthago. After finding it extremely low and ill fitting I had inspected by an independent bar manufacturer. He confirmed it was the totally wrong bar and was actually for a standard Ducato LWB van.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
They fitted one for me in 2002. Had to have light socket rewired by local garage. But must admit sent them the bill and they paid up quickly.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
UK Towbars are on the job, they are mega helpful and cleared up all my questions :) as you all knew type approved tow bars are not needed and don't even exist for motorhomes older than a 2012, good for me I guess lol. £500+vat for fitting and a 13 pin plug.....is that an ok price? Sorry never bought a tow bar before haha.
I have had 2 fitted up near Blackpool for £350 all in with electrics, probably a bit far for you to travel though.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Type approved bars have been available for motorhomes for years in all countries ,except for the UK, & existed for every model sold in Europe regardless of age.
It is a requirement to have them added to the log book in many countries also.
It has always been a requirement for a homologated tow bar here plus fitting by a certified installer who can then add it to the log book.

They made a crap job on mine when I pulled them about it they said pull back in the garage and we will put it right I declined the offer and did it myself after all they only charged me around £700 for the privilege.
I did put a thread up some time ago but not sure how to find it,been to busy refitting a towbar.

I remember you posting the thread.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Sorry @Jay0911 i don't want to hijack your thread but I was about to part serious money with Armatidge!

I was going to have a mobility scooter platform fitted next month, and Armatidge have also quoted me for fitting a tow bar too (as I don't have one at present).

Those of you that have used Armatidge, should I get a tow bar fitted locally first (near Wigan) then just get the platform itself from Armatidge??

(their platform bolts on to an existing tow bar arrangement)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry @Jay0911 i don't want to hijack your thread but I was about to part serious money with Armatidge!

I was going to have a mobility scooter platform fitted next month, and Armatidge have also quoted me for fitting a tow bar too (as I don't have one at present).

Those of you that have used Armatidge, should I get a tow bar fitted locally first (near Wigan) then just get the platform itself from Armatidge??

(their platform bolts on to an existing tow bar arrangement)
Just depends on the chassis or van most tow bars have a recommended loading of 50-100 kg I am talking vertical not horizontal.

Cotswoldiver

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Beenham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway El D
Exp
newbie with MH, 9 years with VW Camper
I wanted to carry a small bike on the back of my 2008 Autosleeper Broadway, found what I wanted and it weighed just under 102kg. Completed the Watling online form just to double check as luckily I carried out a loaded front and back axle weight check last year so had the data to hand.
Interesting outcome, on paper the weights looked ok, close but ok, but because the distance from the rear axle to the rear valance is 1.90 metres the weight is compounded and that's one of the things Watling check with their calculation.
End result - even if if I swopped the two bikes that we usually take away with us for the little Honda I would still need to reduce the weight on the rear axle by 90kg. The tow bar & bike rack from Watling weigh 70kg.

So it doesn't look like I'm going back on to two wheels with the MH anytime soon as I don't want to go down the re-plate the weight route or use a trailer.

Glad I checked first and I must add Watling were terrific at answering questions really quickly but without the forum it would have taken me much longer to check

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back