LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The Tow bar on my RV is the type that slides in a square pipe (Not sure what it is called)
and has a metal pin that goes right through with a security devise that locks it in position,,

Although it all works and I have a 50mm ball on the end it seems loose, will this stiffen up when a trailer is put on the ball ? I can foresee that it will rattle and clunk around,, or is this not the case, or is it something I will have to live with ?

Also I have a large trailer that I use for tip runs,, hooked up to a Kia Sedona, it sits nice and square and straight, but when I hook it up to the RV it is far to high at the ball end and looks as if I could do with a 3-4 inch drop plate.

Thing is the ball on the RV is fixed/welded to a very heavy metal plate which is welded to the square pipe that goes up the tube.

Will I have to get another plate welded on but a bit bigger and lower to square me up ?

Or is the centre of the hitch lower on a car trailer ? I thought they were all about 18"-19" from the ground to the top of the ball!!

Hope you can understand my twittering`s not easy to explain.

Thanking you in anticipation.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Mo

First of all , they all rattle , but as you suspect, fine when they are loaded.. if it's a worry you could insert some brass shim plate , I did this when I used the ball for a bike rack as the rack was drooping.

To adjust the height you need to buy a drop mount, they come in 2, 4, 6, 8 in drops.. you can also buy an adjustable one... I bought a 2" one from Lynda at StatesideTuning

hth

jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Mo

First of all , they all rattle , but as you suspect, fine when they are loaded.. if it's a worry you could insert some brass shim plate , I did this when I used the ball for a bike rack as the rack was drooping.

To adjust the height you need to buy a drop mount, they come in 2, 4, 6, 8 in drops.. you can also buy an adjustable one... I bought a 2" one from Lynda at StatesideTuning

see here Link Removed

hth

jim

Thanks "Jim" brilliant,

Are they all the same size square hole ?

Will wait till I get the trailer next week, just to make sure I get the right amount ofdrop..

Again Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Mo

You could try one of these an adjustable tow hitch