Tow Bar Mounted Scooter/Motorbike Rack (1 Viewer)

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Hi, I am considering fitting a Tow bar mounted Scooter/bike rack to my Campervan.
looking for advice and recommendations please. Pros and Cons.
currently have two Electric bikes on Tow Bar.
My Campervan is A Sunlight 601 Panel Van with the Fiat 130 hp Engine. Rated at 3400kgs.
Not going to buy a scooter until I know its feasible, but would be looking at 50 - 100 cc to carry two persons.
look forward to your comments. Both hold full motorcycle licence.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
For stability only, I opted for a chassis mounted rack rather than towbar mounted, it’s rated at 180kgs and you need to make sure your not over weighting your rear axel remember.

I’m ok being tag axel 👍

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've got a towbar mounted Easy Lifter but it's very heavy. We're OK as like Al n Val we have a tag axle. I suspect it would be too heavy for a panel van.

I don't think a 50-100cc scooter is really feasible 2 up! We have a Honda 125 PCX and that's pretty good. We used to have a Peugeot which was lighter but nowhere near as good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Can only suggest weighing your van and in particular your rear axle prior to making this a reality.

The Suzuki address (probably best option for weight) we have is 96Kgs and we get to 60MPH two up on the flat with a combined weight of about 24 stone and it has not failed to make it up any french mountain but there have been a couple of occasions where I thought she might have to come off the back but these are really really steep.

Remember that there is a weight calculator to detrmine how much the bike would weigh against the axle the further back you it somewhere on here.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
I use a Westfalia tow bar rated for 150kg, it comes with certification and I bought it from watling engineers, be careful with the tow bar selection, they look the same but the load rating is usually for caravans (often less) Onto that I have the waltling engineers scooter rack. It weighs 24kg without the ramp which I carry inside the van (to reduce the applied load to the tow bar). Price is 330 gbp, it is rated for 130 kg.
the issues I have found with Watling rack is that the upright pole used to strap the scooter to is loose in the socket so allows fore and aft movement (5 cm +/-). I modified this with a simple marine grade turnbuckle.
I load a Honda SH125 which weighs around 130kg with little fuel. It’s an old machine and they are heavier built than the newer scooters. I suggest do not go below 125 size on the scooter if your two up. It also has 16” wheels which are much better on potholed roads.
and yes the 130 kg is too much weight for the tow bar so I have fast fix mods to remove the exhaust can, battery and rack. (10 to 15 mins to remove of replace. Such activity might not be for everyone but I do not mind as I got the scooter for free.
I have seen some German carriers which are excellent but the cost is very high, they fit as extensions to the main frame rails on a Sevel PVC van.
Your gross weight for your van looks a bit odd, suggesting it’s a slightly up rated 3300 unit, suggest you verify that. Also recommend if you go to watling they will do the load calculations for you for free to see if your setup is workable on your van. they will do it for you before you buy It’s on the website. It is only the light chassis vans that can have some issues. (Mine is a boxer pvc heavy chassis)
And for the wiring, if you do it yourself then pay a bit more and buy the purpose built harness from PF Jones, see website, it has matching plugs to your van harness and requires no coding of the canbus system on your van. The cheap fixes can cause issues.
PF Jones also sell tow bars, be sure to tell them the load rating you want.
Good luck and for what it is worth my scooter is a great help for runs to the shops and takeaways + days out on skinny country roads (Cornwall / Wales etc)

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
I use a Dave Cooper bolt on tow bar mounted rack.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What with the weight of the scooter plus the towbar plus the rack I doubt that you will have enough overall payload for it to work at your plated weight limit. Also you will need to check the load limit of your rear axle with all that weight cantilevering behind it.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Have you weighed both axles separately in your normal travelling condition ? This will give you some idea as to feasibility of your idea , which at your stated GVM is probably marginal . Hydratrail may be an answer as per previous poster . :)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi, I am considering fitting a Tow bar mounted Scooter/bike rack to my Campervan.
looking for advice and recommendations please. Pros and Cons.
currently have two Electric bikes on Tow Bar.
My Campervan is A Sunlight 601 Panel Van with the Fiat 130 hp Engine. Rated at 3400kgs.
Not going to buy a scooter until I know its feasible, but would be looking at 50 - 100 cc to carry two persons.
look forward to your comments. Both hold full motorcycle licence.

I’ve got a Sunlight 600, I’d be very surprised if you will have enough payload to carry a moped / motorcycle on a towbar or any other form of carrier.

We’ve got a detachable towbar so we can get a trailer to tow our motorcycles. We also use it to put a cycle rack on. (y)

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
My previous Adria twin I uprated from3300 to3500 and carried a sym fiddle 125 on a westphalia towbar and the rack I got from Ferrybridge it all grossed out at just 3500 I also made some brackets to fix on the hinges for additional support straps.

The1Hutch

Free Member
Aug 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-sleeper Nuevo
Hi, does anyone have assembly instructions or assembly advice for the easy-lifter (non-lift) scooter rack for our Nuevo. Delivered in multiple parts and no instructions included. Flange towbar already fitted to our Motorhome.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi, does anyone have assembly instructions or assembly advice for the easy-lifter (non-lift) scooter rack for our Nuevo. Delivered in multiple parts and no instructions included. Flange towbar already fitted to our Motorhome.
Just sent you a private message

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I’ve got a Sunlight 600, I’d be very surprised if you will have enough payload to carry a moped / motorcycle on a towbar or any other form of carrier.

We’ve got a detachable towbar so we can get a trailer to tow our motorcycles. We also use it to put a cycle rack on. (y)
I agree without putting it over a weighbridge I would be very surprised if just the carrier and towbar without the anything on it wouldn't be overloaded on the rear axle

OP
OP
MickyP

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Thank you all for your replies. Clearly putting a Motorcycle rack and Motorcycle on the tow bar of a Sunlight 601 is not practical. So I will continue with my Tow bar rack and two Electric Bikes.
its great to have this forum to seek advice and opinions so thanks to all.

Reactions: f6c
Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Other option is a trailer, maybe not ideal but likely would assist with offsetting the payload / rear axle weight.

As others have said weighbridge is the way to start, though that can become addictive as every time I go past our local one I seem to just check out the weight of our MH for peace of mind :unsure:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back