Tow Bar Bike Racks - choices (1 Viewer)

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Got a Thule for 2 eBikes , was advertised on eBay brand new from a Volvo dealership who stated it fitted Volvo only and to check your particular Volvo model , but it’s a standard Thule design and fitted the Ducato PVC no problem. It was advertised a fair bit cheaper because of that , was brand new and the only difference is it has a Volvo logo on it 😉 . Having said that even although it tilts you can’t fully open the rear doors .

Feb 6, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
We have two heavy e-bikes and have a Pendle towbar mounted rack, have travelled round Europe lots with no problems, second Hand ones available and easy to take on and off towbar.

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Yes, but it is another solution to consider if you want a cycle rack that enables you to open the doors. Obviously there are disadvantages that you need to drill the doors, can typically only take two bikes, aren't as portable between vans and it is very easy to close them on the back of your head! However, these disadvantages may or might not be important to you, and the search for a suitable towball mounted rack doesn't seem to be going well, so it is a potential alternative path to consider.
This is what we have. But having now got a 16kg e-bike plus my husband's 13kg road bike we found that the bumps on the road on Skye and the Hebrides made the 'door open' light flash on. I dread to think what it was doing to the hinges. So we're going to go for a swing out slide out chassis or tow bar rack.

Nov 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Witter, really good rack, did 1200 miles with two bikes on it recently, no bother. Much cheaper than Thule and also got a discount show code from MH show.

comes with built in no plate and lights, so can use on the car too.
Ditto have a two bike version and it allows you to drop so you can access the hatchback & boot of a car etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Ditto have a two bike version and it allows you to drop so you can access the hatchback & boot of a car etc
How easy is it to 'untilt' back (with bikes on) so that it is level again (after been tilted and doors opened etc).

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
How easy is it to 'untilt' back (with bikes on) so that it is level again (after been tilted and doors opened etc).
Our Thule is easy to tilt and lift back with 2 eBikes on it , having said that never saw a standard tow ball bike rack that allows the rear barn doors on a PVC to fully open , tilted or not.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
carolyn have you got the Altera Strada? I’m sure you’ve posted a picture at some point? 🚴
Sorry I missed your post yesterday but I was in Glasgow having moved my son and his girlfriend up there. Yes indeed we do have the Atera Strada DL3 on our PVC and you can slide it out, drop it down and fully open the double doors. Our previous van had a Witter towbar. I thought this one was Witter but it’s Brink. You have to have the tow ball on the lower two holes plus a 1 inch spacer so if you then want to two a trailer you’d have to move the ball up. Does not work with a swan neck. They’re too high.
image.jpg

Jan 4, 2023
North Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise carrera 4
Exp
Since 2011
Had the altera 3 bike rack for 6 years. Never let us down. Just travelled around Spain with all their hidden village speed bumps too!
Nice being able to leave our two electric bikes on it, tilt it back and open the doors on our peugeot boxer van conversion .

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We don’t want a door mounted rack. We want a rack that goes on our removable tow ball, but because of lack of clearance between the lower door and the top of the tow bar, there is nothing on the market that will allow us to open the back doors whilst rack fitted.

There’s a couple of threads about it. I’ve contacted various suppliers and manufacturers and they all say not enough clearance.

The detachable tow bars don’t allow for spacer plates etc like conventional tow bars. (y)
Just had a swing towbar made for our Campscout by local metal manufacturer. Took it to Croatia with 2 ebikes on. Back with him for some mods, including fitting a jockey wheel and a better locating lug. He'll do the mods mext week and I'll post a photo. He can make them for about £450 and they are a proper Sapper job. Bolts to the towbar with 4 bolts and can be easily removed to restore towing facility as I gather it's illegal to tow with a swing arm.

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Here are some solutions (based on ducato, and witter to aid consistency, other versions may be cheaper). Just thinking out load how to solver the 2 ebikes on towbar but be able to open doors problems.

1) receiver hitch (£1072) and swing out arm (£557)

2) Witter flange towbar (£621). May need drop plate (£17)and bar spacer (£22)to help move rack far enough from doors, based on previous experience. Then add atera strada sliding rack (£485).

Amazon product ASIN B004OSY4KG
Amazon product ASIN B07SYKPBR2Amazon product ASIN B001M0KYAI

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
Had the altera 3 bike rack for 6 years. Never let us down. Just travelled around Spain with all their hidden village speed bumps too!
Nice being able to leave our two electric bikes on it, tilt it back and open the doors on our peugeot boxer van conversion .
Similar experience her Altera DL3 on an Adria Twin (ducato van) and rear doors open fully with towbar on lower holes without spacer.

We’ve not been far with it on the Ducato but have done about 5,000miles with it on the back of a VW camper van and it’s superb.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We bought a used Thule 925 from another Funster member. Works well for our two bikes off of our tow bar. There is a maximum weight limit so be careful if you have electric bikes which are heavier. I think the weight limit is 45 kgs. Also bear in mind your MH payload.

Nov 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Just the pull of a lever and they tilt forward and just push them.back up till it clicks and job is done... Witter one we have does tilt quite away forward but it's not been on a pcv though .. prob not what you wanted to read :think:

Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
I went for the economy version, Halfords own brand for 4 bikes. It has carried two electric bikes to Spain and back more than once, no problems at all great bit of kit for the money.

View attachment 514215
I did the same... halfords are cheaper bit solid as a rock. Locks onto the tow ball, each bike locks on also... takes 60kg easily....

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
Dead easy, it has a foot lever, not that I have used this function on the back of the MH

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
We have the Thule Easyfold for two electric bikes.
Luckily mine is a lightweight Ribble and Julie’s is a 24kg Trek as the combined weight is on the maximum with the Trek battery removed (40kg, + weight of Thule).

Was nervous at first about how it could all stay firmly attached to a towball but have now done more than 3,000 miles with them without incident. Tried out the tilt facility (although not required with our Motorhome) and it works easily with no effort.

Cannot compare to other makes having not owned any others.

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
How much gap is there between open door and rack when it’s slid back?
Need enough room to fit a person between so I can get to van….
QUOTE="Daffy64, post: 5659903, member: 83525"]
Similar experience her Altera DL3 on an Adria Twin (ducato van) and rear doors open fully with towbar on lower holes without spacer.

We’ve not been far with it on the Ducato but have done about 5,000miles with it on the back of a VW camper van and it’s superb.
[/QUOTE]

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
I delayed as I decided to get new van, now pondering process again….
New van has more internal space (Adria sgx) so hoping bikes will fit in garage easier.
What did you decide upon in the end? Did it work as planned?

Apr 1, 2023
Chester, UK
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 195
Exp
Tents, Folding camper,Hired MoHo, now bought our own.
Halfords advanced 2 bike carrier up to 65 kg so good for electric. Searched used and got lucky found a pristine one local at £70. Very pleased with it sits on floor of shed with bikes locked to it when not on car or van. Very secure on van.

Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Ok - so after last post about storing bikes in the MH when travelling, we have decided to go with Tow Bar / Cycle Rack as the better option for two bikes.

Had a look at Thule and they seem ok, are there any other makes that you would recommend ?

Don't need folding racks and can lift bikes as required onto the rack, just looking for other options to choose from.....

Thanks in advance
Hi
We have just bought an atera dl3.
These are towball mounted but ideal on our PVC as you can slide out, swing to the nearside and open the rear doors without removing the rack. They're well built and well up to the job. You have to use the dl3 designed for 3 bike, ignore the first rack nearest the van and it works brilliantly for us 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back