LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When we left home to tour around the Dordogne we said we would avoid motorways as well as tolls. We set off from Dieppe down to Bordeaux and along the banks of the Dordogne to Bergerac stopping off at little villages along the way for refreshment. We then decided to follow the same plan up to Munich where we stayed for 1 week hiring a small car to tour Bavaria. We left Munich this morning on small roads and are now outside the Hymer museum at Bad Waldsey. Stay here a couple of days before back on the small roads to Bingen on the Rhine where we will follow the Rhine up to Koblenz before heading south down the Mosel. Am tempted never to use a motorway ever again, even in the UK.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Interesting concept, do you use dual cariageways though?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It’s how we have traveled from day one.... fortunately for us there’s no need to rush around, we’ve seen some fantastic places that we wouldn’t have if we were on a motorway....(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
'Touring with a difference'?

I always thought that was 'Touring'

I 'confess' to using motorways for 'passage making', e.g. when we are doing the 1,000 miles from Poland to UK for MOT. But that is because we have limited amounts of time away and want to keep as much as possible for touring/ambling around France.

Anyway glad you have found and enjoyed the slow lanes.

Geoff

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Interesting concept, do you use dual cariageways though?

We set the TomTom to avoid tolls and motorways. It has taken us on short stretches of dual carriageway, but generally its just a hop on and hop off at the next exit. Our trips are down to 90 days nowadays due to medical and insurance issues so we are never in a big hurry to get anywhere. When overwintering we will just trundle down to Spain taking our time and then fly home for a few days once the 90 days are up.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
'Touring with a difference'?

I always thought that was 'Touring'

I 'confess' to using motorways for 'passage making', e.g. when we are doing the 1,000 miles from Poland to UK for MOT. But that is because we have limited amounts of time away and want to keep as much as possible for touring/ambling around France.

Anyway glad you have found and enjoyed the slow lanes.

Geoff

I not so sure if I have just found the slow lanes. I did once drive down the coast of North West Africa to Laayoune without using a motorway, but I must confess I did use the occasional motorway getting to Algeciras. I also drove from Rodby up to Flakstadvag a few times avoiding motorways, dual carriageways and often tarmac surfaced roads but did use motorways to get to Puttgarden. Before I retired I often drove several thousand miles on desert sand roads, but I dont think that counts :).

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my mate and me never use toll roads ,motorways and try and avoid duall carriageways .
we are getting more childish every year and children arent allowed to play on busy roads .
mind i think snowy could be getting childish now as well.
us truck drivers have driven on enough m,ways etc so using the smaller roads is great fun .
mind living in cornwall helps cant find any motorways to play on if you wanted to. hee hee

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I used to have the opposite problem in Australia , used to look forward to traveling on a bit of bitumen (y) but it was quick to wear off , when I got back to UK , mind you the roads are as rough as bush tracks now :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So, we said goodbye to Munich and the professor on Monday and headed for the Hymer museum, but before I post some interesting photos of the Hymer museum I took a few photos from the professors balcony. He has an apartment in what used to be the Olympic village with fantastic views of Munich from the balcony. It overlooks where the Israeli team were massacred in the Olympics, its the oblong building directly below. We had a walk round the stadium on Sunday as there was a huge car boot sale on. No bargains were found, although I was tempted by a very nice engraved brandy warmer.
Hymer museum 001.JPG
Hymer museum 002.JPG

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have you seen the RMB yet? Looked a very nice one?

I have indeed, but despite tightening his braces till he could hardly breath there was no movement in price.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We spent Monday night on the parking at the Hymer museum, watched Cora and had an early night so that I would be refreshed for the trek around the museum. A very interesting morning indeed with an excellent display of bygones. Two that am sure will be of interest to @JJ below.
We then drove up the road to the Hymer service centre as I wanted an English version of my Hymer 754 owners manual. A very nice lady in there office provided me with one free of charge, so that was a job well done. We then set off mid afternoon for a steady plod about 100 ks towards Stuttgart where am now parked up on some free Stellplatz in the middle of nowhere. Have just had a couple of nice lamb chops and I may just open a bottle of Bordeaux to round the day off.
Hymer museum 003.JPG
Hymer museum 004.JPG

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Shame I thought it looked quite reasonable personally?

Jon

It was worth what he was asking, but I have a rule that the only things I buy that I cannot at least get my money back are the things that go into my mouth. Everything else has to be profit or break even. That way of thinking has stood me in good stead for many years.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We travelled a bit further this morning through Stuttgart to a small town called Germersheim. We are now parked up on a really good Stellplatz in the centre of town with hookup costing 1 Emu, just so cook can use her hairdryer. Nice block paved hard standing and its filling up quickly now. We should make Bingen tomorrow with luck unless some beergarden gets in the way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back