touring south france near Marseille to Pisa Italy (1 Viewer)

spot779

Free Member
Feb 14, 2013
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
class a
Exp
new
Hi I am touring the south of France in August to Pisa in Italy, are there any good aires of I am better off in campsites, and do I need to book, what would be the approximate costs:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As the whole of France and most of Europe takes its holidays in August, if it was me I wouldn't go near the place. If you have no choice because of school holidays then expect to pay twice the price for campsites, that's of course if you are lucky enough to find room on one. The roads will be chocker block full of over heated cars and should you be lucky enough to survive the drive down without some kamakazi driver driving head on into your motorhome please let the rest of us know. Apart from that the South of France is one of my favourite destinations.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Three south of France places we visited last summer are mentioned Broken Link Removed - Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, Avignon, and Aigues Mortes - all west of Marseilles though.

Arles is interesting but has no aire - we visited it by bus from Saintes-Maries.

Don't get too excited by Pisa - all they've got is the tower. The rest is pretty straightforward.

Lucca's worth a visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't get too excited by Pisa - all they've got is the tower.

Not so !

I was amazed to find the beautiful white tower was next to an even better beautiful white Duomo.

Was not so amazed at the dozens of huge very black men trying to sell me junk.

Huge crowds and queue to go up the tower. Excellent campsite within walking distance. Camping torrependente or something like that.

One hop from Diana Marino, a good cheap stop over and lovely town.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hiya
Were off down there mid july for three weeks.. we will be going first to the Nice area before slowly going around to Volterra (not far from pisa) .. then back via Garda and black forest ..
We have some places booked and we will turn up at others for a night or so ..
I love the south of france and that drive around to Italy ..
We will look out for you if we're there at the same time ::bigsmile:

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Second vote for Lucca. Large aire or sosta near town. Unconventional aire but right next to med at Cavaliere on coast road just before St Tropez. Avoid Saturday night as there is a large boot sale on Sundays. Prices for cr.p that you would not believe, but the main reason is that parking is limited due to the boot sale.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
I've done that exact trip in August and survived, just...:Cool:
Yes, it's expensive and busy but we did the trip without prebooking and got in everywhere we stopped, I only do campsites.
Done this trip twice actually, the first without A/C. Vowed never to return in the summer without fitting A/C so that's what happened for the 2nd trip. Sleep tight...:Smile:

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
When we went to Pisa, we stopped in the park & ride, & rode into the town. I was surprised how small the place is.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Went towing a tourer about 8 years ago last week of August into September to Frejus/Agay area. Sites were all full until second week of September when there was a mass exodus! Yes it was very busy, but I don't recal that stopping us from getting about or having good memories. I would advise booking though, and yes it will not be cheap!

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Just go with the flow... But buy the book of Aires...

We did this exact trip a couple of years ago. Great fun. There are loads of Aires and campsites along the way and I wouldn't be restricted by planning too much. The campsite in Pisa resembles more of a Carpark, but it's handy. We stayed in the grounds of a fabulous old Villa in Florence, now operated as an Aire and youth hostel. I would certainly get hold of the "Aires"book and feel confident to just go with the flow and stop where ever the fancy takes you.:winky::winky:::bigsmile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we did this last year, we stayed on a site in dino marina, very good and reasonable price, about halfway from there to pisa is another place we stayed at like a disused football pitch or something dont know the name of the place off hand but could find it if you wanted but it was compleatly free and just accross the road from cafes and the beach it had water but nowt else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back