Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
"THE PLAN CAN ALWAYS CHANGE"

Official moto from the Funsters 2013 tour of Morocco.. (y)(y)

Some spent hours looking at maps and making plans, next day we hit Morocco and it all fell apart.. :doh: :rofl:

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I've found this thread interesting and it's made me realise I'm not a proper motohomer!!

My trips to the Isle of Man for the TT are booked 53 weeks in advance for the ferry and 50 weeks in advance for the campsite. For the Classic TT it's 'only' 40 weeks in advance for the ferry and 50 weeks for the campsite!

For my short duration UK trips, I book sites in advance, a week or 2 beforehand.

For my European trips I plan a rough itinerary, for example: Get off ferry, drive to Zell am See - Austria in as short a time as possible, stopping for gas, toilet & food only. Stay for a week for some Paragliding, Unicycling, Motorcycling, Watersports, etc & visits some friends. Move on to (say) Bled - Slovenia for 5 days for more of the same. Then drive South for a few days just for some Paragliding. Then a couple of days in Croatia for some motorcycling. Then home.
Whilst the rough itinerary can be changed at any point (it's normally the weather that causes changes to it) I book my out & return ferry in advance.
Despite being retired and able to be away as long as I like, I prefer having an end date and when it's time to head for the ferry, I just drive until I get there, stopping for gas, toilet & food only and once off at Dover I just carry on driving until I'm home.

My other regular trip is normally 3 - 4 weeks Snowboarding in Austria, where I book a return ferry, drive my MoHo to a nice pre-booked hotel in Austria, snowboard everyday and then drive home. Both journeys are done only stopping for gas, toilet & food.

I'm all about the destination, not the journey, I don't do meandering. I realise we are all different & I'm certainly not criticising those that do. But for me, wandering from village to village to see 'interesting things' would probably have me changing my plans and heading to Switzerland & Dignitas! Maybe when I'm a lot older I may change my mind and get to enjoy that type of travelling but not, I hope, for at least another 40 years.
Looking at your post it looks like you like an action packed break with a set purpose and preplanned destination to ensure you get to do the activities you want which makes motorhoming breaks enjoyable to you everyone enjoys their breaks most of the time so not really any
I've found this thread interesting and it's made me realise I'm not a proper motohomer!!

My trips to the Isle of Man for the TT are booked 53 weeks in advance for the ferry and 50 weeks in advance for the campsite. For the Classic TT it's 'only' 40 weeks in advance for the ferry and 50 weeks for the campsite!

For my short duration UK trips, I book sites in advance, a week or 2 beforehand.

For my European trips I plan a rough itinerary, for example: Get off ferry, drive to Zell am See - Austria in as short a time as possible, stopping for gas, toilet & food only. Stay for a week for some Paragliding, Unicycling, Motorcycling, Watersports, etc & visits some friends. Move on to (say) Bled - Slovenia for 5 days for more of the same. Then drive South for a few days just for some Paragliding. Then a couple of days in Croatia for some motorcycling. Then home.
Whilst the rough itinerary can be changed at any point (it's normally the weather that causes changes to it) I book my out & return ferry in advance.
Despite being retired and able to be away as long as I like, I prefer having an end date and when it's time to head for the ferry, I just drive until I get there, stopping for gas, toilet & food only and once off at Dover I just carry on driving until I'm home.

My other regular trip is normally 3 - 4 weeks Snowboarding in Austria, where I book a return ferry, drive my MoHo to a nice pre-booked hotel in Austria, snowboard everyday and then drive home. Both journeys are done only stopping for gas, toilet & food.

I'm all about the destination, not the journey, I don't do meandering. I realise we are all different & I'm certainly not criticising those that do. But for me, wandering from village to village to see 'interesting things' would probably have me changing my plans and heading to Switzerland & Dignitas! Maybe when I'm a lot older I may change my mind and get to enjoy that type of travelling but not, I hope, for at least another 40 years.
Far too action packed for me

Used to do a fair bit of diving so thought about taking kit with me so had it if i wanted to do a bit of seafood foraging but it is another 50kg+ in weight which i cant afford to lose i'm not talking oc equipment here so it is feasible just cant justify weight

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Neither life not motorhoming is about the destination it's definately about the journey.

There are many saying out there to support this theory.

The best laid plans and all that.

This all coming from one of life's biggest worriers but I'm getting better

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Surely the mere fact of booking a date in the diary constitutes "A Plan". But sometimes you have to book something, we are on the Plymouth Santander ferry on 27th Aug booked last year, I checked a couple of weeks back, it was fully booked. So yes we wing it when appropriate, but selectively, not exclusively and book into places we specifically want to go to if we think there is a risk of it being fully booked, or if it's somewhere we have been before and want a specific pitch. For example off the ferry to Tordesillas I like a particular pitch so booked it for 1 night.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Surely the mere fact of booking a date in the diary constitutes "A Plan". But sometimes you have to book something, we are on the Plymouth Santander ferry on 27th Aug booked last year, I checked a couple of weeks back, it was fully booked. So yes we wing it when appropriate, but selectively, not exclusively and book into places we specifically want to go to if we think there is a risk of it being fully booked, or if it's somewhere we have been before and want a specific pitch. For example off the ferry to Tordesillas I like a particular pitch so booked it for 1 night.

Was going to do a full reply but sallyianlill Just about covers what we do
Ferry booked ages ago for next German trip and a couple of specific sites book in places we particularly want to visit

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our 6 month tour of France which started at the beginning of September last year was planned to meticulous detail. Our itinerary once in France was determined months in advance, and was as follows:

Night 1: Cité Europe
Night 2: Aire at Boulogne-Sur-Mer
Night 3: France Passion: Les Vergers de Brunembert
Nights 4 to 180: Some other places in France

Sadly this plan went somewhat awry as we managed to also spend two months in Spain and Portugal, and 10 months later we're still in France and seem to have managed to buy a house here. I don't know what went wrong...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Sadly this plan went somewhat awry as we managed to also spend two months in Spain and Portugal, and 10 months later we're still in France and seem to have managed to buy a house here. I don't know what went wrong...
I love it. :Grin: Nice one. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
In April we went to Spain and never booked anything, as usual.
In April, other family members went to Spain and booked everything, as usual.

We arrived at aires/carparks/campsites and made a decision about whether we would stay: I guess that we "moved on" for 50% of the days, often "moving on" again (sometimes, "and again and again") :rolleyes:. Once or twice we were still traveling after 6pm (n).
They arrived at sites and pitched up. Mostly they were quite happy but either way, they'd paid their money so that was that :).

Who was the happiest?

Gordon

PS Off to Germany in September and we will not be booking anything :whistle:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back