Touring itinery or wing it (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Seems to me a lot of people like to pre book campsites and put themselves on timeframes always rushing to do what is on itinery which doesn't allow for unforeseen events therefore putting themselves under undue stress possibly which isn't really a relaxing holiday.

The wing-it people like me dont book anything head in a direction and move on when ready and find a nice place maybe spend a few days whatever then move on again - i have never been stuck for parking you can normally find campsite or something if that is what you want - it also seems less stressful for me anyway.

Not knocking whatever anyone does it is their choice just curious

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
The thing with making any plans is you don't have to stick to them...

Some folk like to actually visit places instead of driving around aimlessly, possiblity missing interesting places.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We normally have a basic plan of where and roughly when with things and places we would like to do and see, but it's very open and loose and we just see which each day brings.
Have never booked stops in advance when abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Like you, we wing it , but I do have a sort of plan where or which area we are headed, I also do research before hand on suitable for us aire's , as we don't usually do busy aires or cities ones , as prefer rural ones or village ones , near rivers canals lakes etc.
Only plan for second to last aire for vets appointment.

Deleted User
Like you, we wing it , but I do have a sort of plan where or which area we are headed, I also do research before hand on suitable for us aire's , as we don't usually do busy aires or cities ones , as prefer rural ones or village ones , near rivers canals lakes etc.
Only plan for second to last aire for vets appointment.

That's exactly what we do, researching areas, sights etc has always been part of the enjoyment.
Never book anything, plans change.....everything is fluid:)

Reactions: Pia

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A mix of both.. sometimes we have no plans and just go with the flow, especially abroad,

In the UK when know where we want to be, for example, last summer we pre booked the CMC site at New England bay .. not booking may have led to disappointment. We didn't book up the stops before or after.

this summer we have pre booked a very popular CCC 5 van site in Wales as it's always fully booked weeks in advance

In France summer 2016 we booked up a very popular all singing dancing site on the Med for 10 days, going to and from we had no plans.

In Germany last year we had no plan, just used Stellplatz,

In the UK not booking can be disappointing when you can't find a nice site with vacancies.

Great thing about it you can do as you like.. whether you book or not .. it's always a mix for us.

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Seems a lot of us wing it then i have to think about vet as well but i will do any vet if i pass one within timespan - worst case scenario i have to go looking with satnav

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It's much the same for us as @scotjimland's post above, ie, pre book UK locations.

Travelling abroad, we tend to only pre book a location, if we are meeting others, or joining a rally, eg, Benicassim and Benidorm are already booked for winter, but all stopovers to and from, will be adhock. (y)

Cheers,

Jock & Rita. :)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Don't do planning so off the ferry and then might have a vague plan or might just look at the weather forecast and do a "right left or straight on" adds to the excitement I think.

Martin
Have changed from left to right and right to left but haven't used the straight on option as of yet

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Depends where and when. If you specifically want to go somewhere in high season or pitch up in York or Bristol you can't without booking month's in advance.
If possible I venture out when most people are in work and having picked an area just wing it. I must admit that I have never set off with no idea.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Its ok to look at a map but the actual driving is never what you expect. Road closures, Traffic Jams and Congestion all add to a sometimes frustrating day especially if its hot as well. We book the Tunnel and off we go. We know roughly where we are heading but plans change along the way and other ideas get an airing. Took us 4 days to get to Spain this year and 3 weeks to get back but we are not in a rush.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We always have a plan of sorts, though what we actually do is more based on the whim of the moment and the weather. We have so far never carried out a whole plan. Booking is a real nono as being tied to a place and date is a real damper on a trip. If its somewhere really popular then we may phone the day before to check there's space, not possible for an aire of course.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When we went to NZ our plan was to drive around the coast where possible then zig zag across the Country.
Worked for us :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Book a ferry have an idea of where we want to go, may do a bit of reading up on the area but never book anything. Even when we were tuggers with kids never booked anything.
Booking would ruin the fun of having a Motorhome and being free to go anywhere.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I never know for sure until we get land in France where we are heading as hubby changes where he wants to go ... even which country! :rolleyes: Even then we often end up somewhere different so take some maps etc for nearby countries just in case! :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We follow the sun,,BUSBY,,
... at night????? o_O Or do you just end up going round in semi-circles???? :ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We have used the C&MC several times for booking a BF or Chunnel crossing as they seem to get a better discount on fares than we could find elsewhere. The condition was that it had to be a holiday "package", which as a minimum included a first night campsite in France also booked through the CMC. No great hardship. After that first night, we tended to find our own places to stay, mostly ACSI or Municipals where you can just turn up. We had only a fortnight away due to my still being a wage slave and that meant we needed a basic yet flexible itinerary.

When care obligations for her mum eventually ends, we are so looking forward to freedom to meander around France. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
'Over there' - off ferry....., wing it. In 30 years have never failed to find a good stopping place.
'Over here' - only go away for one night or two on four or five occasions per year when I want to attend some family or public event.
Living 25 mins from the ferry port is a bonus..............:)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sitting in the van on the shuttle we decide which direction to head in, that's about it.

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Wing it, we do, much easier off the ferry, throw away the clock, go where you want

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
We are out for our first proper trip with our MH. No planned itinery at all and we are loving it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The military have a saying "No plan survives first contact with the enemy" Our family has a similar one "No plan survives first contact with the Ferry" .

No matter how detailed our plans, we wing it. :D

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I've found this thread interesting and it's made me realise I'm not a proper motohomer!!

My trips to the Isle of Man for the TT are booked 53 weeks in advance for the ferry and 50 weeks in advance for the campsite. For the Classic TT it's 'only' 40 weeks in advance for the ferry and 50 weeks for the campsite!

For my short duration UK trips, I book sites in advance, a week or 2 beforehand.

For my European trips I plan a rough itinerary, for example: Get off ferry, drive to Zell am See - Austria in as short a time as possible, stopping for gas, toilet & food only. Stay for a week for some Paragliding, Unicycling, Motorcycling, Watersports, etc & visits some friends. Move on to (say) Bled - Slovenia for 5 days for more of the same. Then drive South for a few days just for some Paragliding. Then a couple of days in Croatia for some motorcycling. Then home.
Whilst the rough itinerary can be changed at any point (it's normally the weather that causes changes to it) I book my out & return ferry in advance.
Despite being retired and able to be away as long as I like, I prefer having an end date and when it's time to head for the ferry, I just drive until I get there, stopping for gas, toilet & food only and once off at Dover I just carry on driving until I'm home.

My other regular trip is normally 3 - 4 weeks Snowboarding in Austria, where I book a return ferry, drive my MoHo to a nice pre-booked hotel in Austria, snowboard everyday and then drive home. Both journeys are done only stopping for gas, toilet & food.

I'm all about the destination, not the journey, I don't do meandering. I realise we are all different & I'm certainly not criticising those that do. But for me, wandering from village to village to see 'interesting things' would probably have me changing my plans and heading to Switzerland & Dignitas! Maybe when I'm a lot older I may change my mind and get to enjoy that type of travelling but not, I hope, for at least another 40 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back