Touring Ireland (1 Viewer)

roadtraveller

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Kings Norton, Birmingham
Funster No
Exp
20 years plus
Next year I want to do a trip around the coast of Ireland, in our Motor Home as a surprise for my O/H, and I would like to get everything planned before we go, for eg:- where to stay , roughly how many miles a day we need to do, in order to reach camp sites, etc., how easy is it to wild camp, and where to obtain water, empty the loo etc., any ideas where to find this info would be gratefully received.

atadloopy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
nottingham
Funster No
Exp
30+ years
hi, my mistake with planning a trip was thinking the roads were the same as england, until you have been you will not belive how bad they can be, i only went from dublin to ring of kerry then round the coast and back to dublin fantastic scenery but their A roads are more like our B roads so allow plenty of time to enjoy the view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
post subject

hi, my mistake with planning a trip was thinking the roads were the same as england, until you have been you will not belive how bad they can be, i only went from dublin to ring of kerry then round the coast and back to dublin fantastic scenery but their A roads are more like our B roads so allow plenty of time to enjoy the view.

If the roads were that bad how did Moandick drive his 35ft RV 4000 miles around Ireland. .....oh maby your motorhome was longer.:Doh:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi we went around Ireland in April this year and found the roads to be as good as if in this country admitedly not so many motorways but never the less if coachs/buses travel these roads daily they cannot be that bad! So why the moaning for gods sake you are in a different country!

Remember you are on holiday and act accordingly. Ireland is a beautiful country with the friendliest people in Europe. We had awonderful time and would thoroughly encourage everyone to visit there at least once! We are looking forard to next year to sample the delights of Ireland again!

Regards Pat

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Absolutely, totally, thoroughly agreed - we would go back tomorrow - and will just - as soon as the pressure of work eases. Wonderful country, lovely people and I just hope that the rose-tinted glasses don't fade second time around.

We look forward to a second tour, sooner rather than later - I can still taste the Guinness - never the same any where else!

Roll on

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Absolutely, totally, thoroughly agreed - we would go back tomorrow - and will just - as soon as the pressure of work eases. Wonderful country, lovely people and I just hope that the rose-tinted glasses don't fade second time around.

We look forward to a second tour, sooner rather than later - I can still taste the Guinness - never the same any where else!
Roll on

Hi Dick you should try the Guinness in the little pub opposite the Trading Post campsite just north of Wexford best I have ever tasted:thumb::thumb:

Regards Pat

Evav

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
Exp
4 yrs
Still a question about Irish roads,

We are planning our 21 days visit to lovely emerald Ireland, for this summer.

I imagine roads must be passable for our small motorhome (6 meter long), since buses do drive along them.

I read somewhere a recommendation to drive along Ring of Kerry from North to South, in order to do it the same way as buses do (otherwise there would be some difficult points without passing place, if we met a bus on the opposite direction).

Any other recommendation?

Thanks very much !!!
Best regards from Barcelona.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Roads

Hi,
Just come and enjoy. There are some brill roads, and others are much like around the Lake District or the West coast of Scotland. Many roads here in Northern Ireland have rough surfaces, being subject to the "paint stripper" stone chips during the summer time, but there are no real problems associated with travelling in either the Republic of Ireland or in Northern Ireland, just allow a wee while longer than you thought it would take to get somewhere- the delay might be due to scenery or tractors!
Come and enjoy. Wild camping not that easy here due to gypsies - I don't believe in political correctness-, so to me gypsies are gypsies- many car parks have the dreaded height barrier, but there are places that it is possible to stop at. Harbours in small villages are often deserted at night time and can be safe to park up in, just ask. Also, country pubs may well allow you to park up too.
Lovely scenery, enjoy and stop worrying about the roads. Regards, weejohn.
PS if you want you can use my driveway for an overnight stop - including EHU and grey water dumping, just ask- we are out in the lovely Co. Armagh countryside - (on a b-class road) and my yoke is 7m

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
they are better than some of the roads around barcelona enjoy your self :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Evav

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
Exp
4 yrs
Hi, weejohnw,

I imagine than when we are driving next to the coast, we might find similar roads as in Norway, where I used to plan with an average of 30 km/hour (which included stops for taking pictures !!).

I can also imagine that there are important and fast roads, of course.

In fact, I am not really worried about speed, although I appreciate very much other people's advice, based on personal experience.

We do not wild camp that much in summer, when we love being on a prairie, and having dinner outside, lighting a candle, and being peaceful (all this requires a camping site). So I am scheduling the tour with many stops at camping sites.

Having said that, we'll take into account the possibility of stopping at harbours or pubs (if they allow us), in case we should need it.

I also thank you very much for your offering to stop at your driveway. I still do not know if we'll be close to you when we visit Ireland.

I am still preparing the detailed route, so far I have more or less decided about half of it (from Rosslare to Sligo clockwise, still have to work on the rest, which I am doing right now).

By the way, I have 2 children aged 7 and 9, and they'd love stopping at a waterworld or aquapark, which had nice toboggan runs. Could you recommend any?

Thanks very much in advance,
Eva

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
waterworks

Hi Eva,
Lisburn in Northern Ireland has a good whirly slide thingy and water ways - indoor. It is located in the same vicinity as the Omniplex cinema - no height barriers.
Also Portrush in Co. Antrim has the very popular Waterworld. However great animosity toward motorhomers in Portrush.
Also Tropicana in Newcastle Co. Down - outside water play park, but only if weather is warm - Newcastle is a nice town on the coast, great views of the Mourne mountains which do sweep down to the sea. Please note that many places are not friendly for parking motorhomes during the day due to height barriers. ( Newcastle - no problem, two car parks, one at each end of the town are accessible- both might even be free!
Regards Weejohn, If I can assist in any way, just ask.

Evav

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
Exp
4 yrs
Thanks very much, weejohnw !!!

Lagan Valley LeisurePlex Leisure-pool looks really nice, from the look I got here Link Removed
It is good to know there are no height barrieres, and the complex is indoor, since we should be there on on certain fixed date, no matter what's the weather like.
We could visit Lisburn with little detour.

Portrush is located on our route for sure. But (sorry for my English) I did not understand wether you told me that motorhomes and motorhomers are (ore are not?) welcome on Portrush.

Mourne mountains should be in our route, I guess, so Newcastle would also be on our way. Although I could only find this pictures on the net, Tropicana Outdoor Heated Fun Pool and it seems smaller than Lisburn Leisureplex.

I have the feeling we'll get to Lisburn.

If you don't mind, I'll post you some other questions when I get a more detailed route.

Thanks, Eva

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
waterworks

Hi Folks, Yes Newcastles Tropicana is quite small, but a nice place - on a good day!
Portrush is NOT motorhome friendly, see my other post - search under stephen nolan and you should find some comments. Having said all that, Portrush is a lovely spot and close to the Giants Causeway.
Lisburn leisureplex is great. I have mobility difficulties as a result of surgery some years ago, and I can really enjoy a wee while spent here. KFC, steak type rest. all in same complex area. Lisburn is close to Belfast where the Zoo might well be of interest?.
send private message if you want any other info I can help you with.
Hope you enjoy your time here, lovely country, but not as MH friendly as many other european countries.
There is an aire service at Carrickfergus castle carpark (near belfast )- all motorway from lisburn to Carrickfergus! Castle is open to visit.
Also one at Broughshane co. Antrim --- aire that is, not castle
Regards Weejohn

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
The Fota Wildlife Park

One place you really should take the children.....

Apart from kissing the Blarney Stone, one of our more memorable day outings was to the Fota Wildlife Park. A wheelchair friendly tarmac path wound around the complete park, which took in every compound giving super views of all the animals on show. A refreshment centre is located at the centre of the Park and we arrived there at the same time as a school party consisting of children of all ages from Kindergarten to Secondary School. We bought coffee and sandwiches and the children settled down to eat their packed lunches but within a few minutes we were totally surrounded by a family of ring-tailed lemurs. Everywhere there were signs warning us not to feed the animals but the lemurs had other ideas and they were soon tucking into potato crisps, sandwiches and whatever else they could scrounge off of the children. Some of the children had packets of ‘jelly’ sweets in the shape of ‘babies dummies’ and the lemurs very soon made it plain they wanted the children to share these sweeties. Now the sight of a fully grown lemur, sitting on the rooftop of a café, sucking on a baby’s dummy defies description and is one of the few times when I regretted leaving the camera in the car. A small child came out of the café sucking on a ‘gobstopper’ lollipop; very soon this too, was transferred to the lemurs and it was a real eye-opener to see a family of four lemurs licking the lollipop at one and the same time – they were very adept at it and it was obviously not the first time they had been so well treated. It was absolutely fabulous to see such an interaction between the children and free-roaming ‘wild’ animals although I am not sure whether the Park Keepers would approve of such a sugar-filled diet – the lemurs didn’t seem to care one little bit!

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
way down south

Hi Eva, while I am obviously more aware of places north of the border, there is a fantastic spot at Tramore- maybe not splet correctly in Waterford, I think the site is called Newton Cove, possible to spot seals etc
Weejohn

Evav

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
Exp
4 yrs
weejohnw, I read the post you mention about Portrush. By reading it, somehow it sounds familiar to me. We have the same struggle in Spain. MH are not welcome on tourist crowded places. Nobody looks at MH as a specific kind of tourism, but instead we could be seen as gypsies or circus performers travelling to the next city !!!

I could find Carrickfergus and Whitehead aires on a french POI file (donwloadable from recherche d'aire de service publique ou privée), but it does not contain Broughshane.
Do you have know if it is possible to get a POI file with all of them?

I am afraid I do not have the time to visit Newton Cove, thouth it looks really nice.

We should arrive at Rosslare harbour at 14:30 on our first day in Ireland, and I thought of visiting Irish Agricultural Museum in Wexford, and driving towards Kilkenny, in order to be ready for Jerpoint Abbey and Kilkenny visit for the next morning. Afterwards we should drive towards Cork via Holy Cross Abbey, Rock of Cashel, and Nire Valley around Clonmel.

So I'll skip the coastal road between Wexford and Cork (and I thought of skipping Waterford as well). I have no time for everything, and we'll drive through plenty of coastal roads, in Ring of Kerry, Dingle, Clare, Connemara, Sligo, Donegal, Antrim and Down.

I've also booked a boat trip to visit Skellig Michael, and ferry tickets to visit Inis Mor (we'll take our bikes on board).

moandick, Fota Wildlife Park sounds great, although with our tight schedule it seems difficult to get to visit both, Cork city and Fota Park on the same day. Anyway, since you recommend it, I'll try !!

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Broughshane

Hi Eva, sorry don't know of any POI co -ordinates for Broughshane Co. Antrim, though there should be info on it somewhere! I will look later and If I find any I will send another post about it.
I had forgotten, but there is a restraunt in Co. Antrim near Coleraine - near to Portrush - near to Giants Causeawy - close in an "Irish sort of way" that allows overnight parking in its car park, I think it is called the Brown Trout.
South of the border, Ring of Kerry is lovely, as is coast in Sligo and Donegal - you are trying to pack a lot in to your visit!- take time to meet folks and enjoy the flavour of this Emerald Isle.
Take note that prices South of the border are expensive -
The links previously given to campsites etc are quite good.
THe acsi campsite search can through up some good spots too.
Avoid like the black death any area that has those dreaded gypsies - we stayed at Lough Key near Ballyshannon - a lovely area too- for four nights last year and a squad of gypsos arrived, you had to stop every few yards to move kids bikes and toys off the drive way and when they thought you were away from your van they came and snooped around - tie everything down, then lock it! Their dogs ran off the lead and crapped everywhere- site wardens not interested, or scared?
the Irish police were in attendance several times a day, very uncomfortable experience. Just be aware, avoid and they wont spoil yur stay anywhere.
Regards Weejohn

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Broughshane got it

Hi Eva,
knew it shouldnt have been too hard- try the site
ukmotorhomes.net and scroll down to Northern Ireland. An ward winning site near here too is Ballyness - I think, now not so sure? anyway grey cells taking over momentarily!

If and when "doing" Co. Down the Ards Peninsula is a must, do the outside coast route from Bangor to Portaferry then across on the ferry to Strangford. Travel on to Ardglass, nice fishing harbour complete with seals, then on to Newcastle - a busy seaside town, - busy but a relaxing place - hard to explain, but if there you will understand!
At Portaferry there is an aquariam - Exploris, I understand there is a "site" there, at the rear of Exploris. Also a site at Strangford in the National Trust property of Castleward - booking advisable- Castleward is an estate of approx 820 acres with a beautiful house and many walks, canoeing available from here too- check site I think it is caleed clearsky or check National Trust Castle Ward sites links if interested. Several sites in Newcastle - although very busy - also sites at the Forest service locations just outside Newcastle at Tollymore Forest Park and at Castlwellan Forest Park.

THe Cultra Folk and Transport Museum between Belfast and Bangor ( all motorway or Dual Carriageway) is fantastic, if not interested in trains and transport, then do the Folk side of the Museum, during the summer months there will be demonstrations of iron monger, soap and candlemaking and great story telling by the staff there, a really fab place and good parking.
Sorry I haven't been able to provide the actual links to these sites. Again, if you have any problems, get in touch and I will attempt to assist my fellow MHers.
Regards Weejohn:thumb:

bojangles

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
Funster No
try Link Removed its based in Ireland .It has a county by county site reviews by it members. Its forum might be helpful to you also, motorhome and R V owners North and South very friendly.
The ring of kerry is best done north to south as said before.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
try www.campsitereview.com its based in Ireland .It has a county by county site reviews by it members. Its forum might be helpful to you also, motorhome and R V owners North and South very friendly.
The ring of kerry is best done north to south as said before.

Sorry for correcting your post Bo but you had missed an 'e' from the web ddress and it didn't work. It does now.

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
Ireland is in my wants list as a place to tour, Do they have any different driving regs to the UK other than speedlimits which I presume will be clearly displayed.

For some reason my western europe maps on my tomtom 700 does not appear to cover Ireland.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
miles?

The republic of Ireland operates in Kilometers,
Northern Ireland (UK) = Miles
Diesel is cheaper in the Republic of Ireland

Evav

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
Exp
4 yrs
Thanks, weejohnw,

Is this the Brown Trout you mention?: Brown Trout Inn, holiday cottage and golf course northern ireland . It looks wonderful, so it seems it is possible to have dinner in the restaurant, and overnight there.

I am afraid I am packing too much in this trip, although I'd like to finish deciding and writing down the desired route plan, so I could ask you your opinion afterwards.
I hope I'll have it done, after working on it for the week-end.

I'll take into account all your advices.

Following your track to Overnight stopovers for motorhomes in the UK , which is great, I came into this other page, whichs looks excellent, doesn'it it? Link Removed

Regarding the Ard Peninsula, I had originally thought of driving close to Strangford Lough edge (A20), instead of doing it close to the sea, on the outside coast route (A2), maybe because I thought of visiting Mount Stewart. So you definitely recommend the A2 route instead of A20, then, skipping Mount Stewart?

Castle Ward was on my wishes list, so you confirm it !! Link Removed

The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum in Cultra was also already on the very long wishes list,Link Removed. I might choose between one of many Folk Museums, so when I finish the planning phase, I'll ask you about your opinions.

Same thing will happen with all those nice 18th and 19th century mansions. I am getting the feeling I should choose only a few, in order to have more time to relax by looking at the countryside. I'll also ask your opinions next week.

bojangles, moandick, thanks for the link to Welcome to Campsite Review.com !! By looking at the forum posts, I can get people opinions about several camping sites, very important !!

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Trout

Hi folks, yes that's the right brown trout.
I only suggested the outside Ards Peninsula route as I prefer it myself, (better road) The inside route is equally nice and yeas it does allow you to then visit Mount Stewart, - beautiful gardens.
It is always good to get a mixture of opinions, but everyone has their own taste and you can then decide.
We are going shortly to Ypres and then to the Somme area to do a WW1 battlefield/museum tour before heading to Loire Valley for a belated 50th birthday hot air balloon trip. Have e-mailed several hot air balloon companies asking for advice on sites to stay at that would make it convenient to head off on an early morning flight, but they havent bothered replying! I dont want to end up on a site maybe where a barrier doesnt open till 7 when I might have to drive 20 or 30 miles at 4am! I will give them another few days then maybe I will try the good old phone.
Sorry I have not been able to include links, logging on and off are about the extent of my abilities. I come from the pre computer, pre decimelisation and pre political correctness age.
Regards, Weejohn:clap:

Evav

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
Exp
4 yrs
Hi, weejohnw,

Do you speak any french?
If so, this page will be very useful for you: recherche d'aire de service publique ou privée
If not, we'll try by using a translator: Google Traductor

If you are worried about overnighting at some place in France where you don't need to wait till a barrier is open, you most probably should sleep in an MH aire.

That's what you'll find on this page.

For instance, press department 37 or 41, I think this is the Loire area you mentioned.
Choose "Service areas, public or private", the blue icon.
Don't choose motorways aires (the red icon), they are less safe.

For example, in department 37, close to Chinon, you find this one: Google Traductor

Is that what you were looking for?

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Dogs in the Emerald Isle.

We'd like to get to tour both NI & south of the border, but I've read somewhere that certain breeds of dog have to be muzzled in public places. Our dog is on that list ie German Shepherd. We've had 9 over the years. Now I don't want to upset parents, but my dogs are better behaved than some "little darlin's" who, in my opinion should be muzzled.:RollEyes:

I'd appreciate info to the contrary (about the dogs being muzzled I mean) or how strict the rule is applied.

Cheers

BeeJay

Starseeker

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Wales.
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
5 years
Does anyone know when or if the Swansea to Cork ferry is resuming service please?.

Ric.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back