Touring in Portugal (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are off for some spring sunshine at the end of March for a month and will probably be heading to Portugal. Never been there before so it will all be new to us. We are looking for some sun and warmth in nice interesting surroundings.

We will be crossing using Eurotunnel and then heading South through the west of France and probably crossing into Spain at San Sebastian. Any recommendations for routes from there please?

Has anybody got any suggestions as to where we should go and what we should see please? Will the Algarve be best for the sun and warmth? Is Lisbon worth a detour? What is the weather on the West coast like in April? Any Easter festivals a must? Answers to these and any other thoughts would be most welcome please.

Any recommendations for Aires, places to wild camp (fancy some of that) and campsites please. We have the Vicarious book of Aires and we also have an ACSI card.

Many thanks in advance.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Loved the algarve, and you will have to call see Pedro. Give him some notice if you fancy stopping.
The best advice I got was to disable motorways and toll roads and see the country properly. If you see something that you like or of interest just stop.
The books you mention should cover you stops..
Really liked alcoutim on the border but the aire was busy.
Enjoy your trip.
Ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi JJ. Already had a look at the Portugal section.

In fact your recent post about being at Praia Da Rocha Marina prompted me to mark that one in the Aires book as a likely. And I have your blog also bookmarked following some advice from you at the end of last year.

Andy - thanks. Have heard lots about Pedros, but not sure where that is

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
not sure you'll make Easter Festivals
Easter 3rd - 6th April,
think I might be leaving Marroc around 10th - 14th then heading to Portugal via Gib so might see you there (y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
What border crossing is that on please?
Not a border crossing but just north of the southern crossing from Spain. You can jump on a little ferry and cross to the opposite village in spain (Not a vehicle ferry ) .its just a quaint beautiful spot and the weather was lovely which helped.

Pedro is close to paderne. N37.1567 W008.2095
Unfortunately missed the chance to meet jj this time but hope there will be another:)
Ta andy

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
not sure you'll make Easter Festivals
Easter 3rd - 6th April,
think I might be leaving Marroc around 10th - 14th then heading to Portugal via Gib so might see you there (y)
Leaving on 27th March so should be well South by Easter shouldn't I?

Let us know where you might be and we can see if we can meet up

Peter

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
There are soo many really good aires in Portugal (IMHO), you will not need to go onto campsites----just to do washing --it is convenient if the weather is bad----we usually find wild camping spots next to a river and heat water on camp-fire and hand wash (we may well take our washing machine next trip (as we now have a massive garage)----------We don't do cities------our favorite area I think is the strip along the Portuguese/Spanish border ---the full length of the Country---the first aire we ever stayed on is at Reguengos De Monsaraz near Mourao-- (which is where we crossed from Spain)--ABSOLUTELY fantastic (we think) -----also look for the HUGE solar farm in that area---and the old copper mine at Mina Sao Domingo. Very good aire here. And wild camping easy all around this area, cut across country to the Algarve on the smallest roads you can find, this will take you through lovely country and tiny PORTUGUESE villages.
Stay away from the main roads and look for well hidden bread shops in tiny hamlets -------that is the Portugal we Love----------but, of course everything looks better in good weather,
Portugal is one of our favorite two countries to visit with our motorhome.
Nigel & Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
Yes that's the one----from the town you have 360 deg. view---quite incredible----the lake is the result of much flooded land and the drowned old town of Luz ---- the new town of Luz has no character, but a good aire for dumping and picking up fresh water -----the aire at Monsaraz has no easy water supply AFAIK. so don't arrive looking for services.
In that area there are lots of really lovely mountain churches/towns and castles.
Nigel & Pamala
PEDRO----I left out Pedro's--Motorhome Friends campsite because it is soooo popular there never seems to be any space available !!!!!-------but for anyone who can get on-----WELL worth the effort---VERY memorable experience.---------We are hoping to squeeze on again next winter, we have our own Boules now !!
Nigel & Pamala

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Posted the cordinates above.
You could message him.... forum name quintapedro
Ta andy

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
There are soo many really good aires in Portugal (IMHO), you will not need to go onto campsites----just to do washing --it is convenient if the weather is bad----we usually find wild camping spots next to a river and heat water on camp-fire and hand wash (we may well take our washing machine next trip (as we now have a massive garage)----------We don't do cities------our favorite area I think is the strip along the Portuguese/Spanish border ---the full length of the Country---the first aire we ever stayed on is at Reguengos De Monsaraz near Mourao-- (which is where we crossed from Spain)--ABSOLUTELY fantastic (we think) -----also look for the HUGE solar farm in that area---and the old copper mine at Mina Sao Domingo. Very good aire here. And wild camping easy all around this area, cut across country to the Algarve on the smallest roads you can find, this will take you through lovely country and tiny PORTUGUESE villages.
Stay away from the main roads and look for well hidden bread shops in tiny hamlets -------that is the Portugal we Love----------but, of course everything looks better in good weather,
Nigel & Pamala
Hi Nigel and Pamala,
Could you give me a bit more info on this aire - co-ordinates/facilities/link. Thanks

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, we are not city people, however we were invited to stay in Lisbon for a couple of days. TOTALLY STUNNING, glad we accepted the offer.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Nigel and Pamala,
Could you give me a bit more info on this aire - co-ordinates/facilities/link. Thanks

Hi
The aire is alongside the walls of the ancient castle town.
I looked on Google for it and found the Co-Ords----
38.444deg N---7.381 deg W
I don't believe there are any usual facilities there???--but dump and water in nearby Luz---the old town/castle is really stunning--the views fantastic--there are a couple of restaurants, a beautiful church and a small shop---the old town is a living, working place with quite a few very old houses (does look strange with TV aerials).
We approached it from Spain over the huge lake which is the boarder of Spain and Portugal made from the Alqueva dam-------any way is good to get to it but this way was really great (and keeps you off the big roads.
There are loads of these old hill-top towns/castles/monastery s in this part of Portugal------we have been in beautiful clear weather and fog too thick to see anything---it's a gamble, but if you know the weather is going to be bad when you are in that area, try to skip it and return later if you can.----------------------I forgot to say that these two, and most in this area are free-----so don't begrudge spending a couple of Euros in local shops etc.
Nigel & Pamala

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It is in the Aires book from Vicarious. ----- No water or dumping, just a place to stay.

It might appear to be just a place to stay--------------but to have such a lovely ancient hill-top town just through the gates and fantastic 360deg views I think it unfair to say 'just a place to stay'------just my very biased opinion;);):)---------don't forget to call into Luz and dump/fill water------as I said before--both free-----that looks like great value to us.
Nigel & Pamala

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
:) we miss you to... And you can think how much I miss Pam....and her cakes and sweets...:D

And you have to come here, I miss to see them play, with the line passing between all the persons. ...lol

Thank you, for your comments...(y)

See you soon
Pedro & Mireilli

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It might appear to be just a placece to stay--------------but to have such a lovely ancient hill-top town just through the gates and fantastic 360deg views I think it unfair to say 'just a place to stay'------just my very biased opinion;);):)---------don't forget to call into Luz and dump/fill water------as I said before--both free-----that looks like great value to us.
Nigel & Pamala
It was never my intention to suggest there was anything wrong with it, just to make the point that it only had parking with no services. I hope to be there this evening, or maybe tomorrow if se gdt distracted on the way, so I can make my mind up for myself

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Monsaraz :D

Monsaraz1.jpg
Monsaraz3.jpg
Monsaraz6.jpg

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Ca
:) we miss you to... And you can think how much I miss Pam....and her cakes and sweets...:D

And you have to come here, I miss to see them play, with the line passing between all the persons. ...lol

Thank you, for your comments...(y)

See you soon
Pedro & Mireilli

Can't wait to see you next winter. As you know I have been on a programme and at long last my operation is on the 16th April, not long now, getting a bit nervous and excited too.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Nigel & Pamala

Our favourite is Almeida, 40°43'39.13"N 6°54'14.38"W plenty of character but I'm sure there will be plenty more

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Look!

Will you all please STOP IT NOW!

Portugal is horrid.

It is always raining.

The locals hate foreigners especially the English.

It is strictly forbidden to overnight in your van anywhere other than a campsite.

Only stay in the Algarve area... further north is full of wild, dangerous bandits who all vote Labour and rob motorhomes for fun.

Got it?

(If we go on raving about how wonderful Portugal is it will fill up...)

JJ :cool:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
So, Scots, Welsh & Irish are OK there then??

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
Look!

Will you all please STOP IT NOW!

Portugal is horrid.

It is always raining.

The locals hate foreigners especially the English.

It is strictly forbidden to overnight in your van anywhere other than a campsite.

Only stay in the Algarve area... further north is full of wild, dangerous bandits who all vote Labour and rob motorhomes for fun.

Got it?

(If we go on raving about how wonderful Portugal is it will fill up...)

JJ :cool:
Lol...

You are so selfish. .. .

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
Ca

Can't wait to see you next winter. As you know I have been on a programme and at long last my operation is on the 16th April, not long now, getting a bit nervous and excited too.
Dear Pam

We are very happy that It will be soon now that you will be operated, and because Good protect the angels, we know thar all will be ok....

Pedro & Mireilli

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back