Touring Holland help (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Joined 2014
Hi we are touring Holland for the first time for 2 weeks in April anyone could give us tips would be appreciated we have travelled only in France before

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
PUblic accessible toilets are very rare so if needed plan ahead. Amsterdam is brilliant with well located and secure site at City Camp.

Aug 5, 2012
Hitchin
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 644.
Exp
since 1970's
Look out for Bikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's Murder over there, but OK stayed at City Camp not cheap but great for Amsterdam with free ferry's to city.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Hi we are touring Holland for the first time for 2 weeks in April anyone could give us tips would be appreciated we have travelled only in France before
Are you going to Keukenhof? We have been 3 times and the bulb displays are breathtaking. Are you going from Harwich? Our favourite site is Strandbad, near Edam. The views over the Zeider Zee are lovely. Have a great trip.

Aug 5, 2012
Hitchin
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 644.
Exp
since 1970's
DSC_0355.JPG
DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0355.JPG
DSC_0355.JPG
DSC_0355.JPG
DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0355.JPG
DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0355.JPG DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0355.JPG
Hi a picture of City Camp Amsterdam and a few of the bike parks good luck.

Attachments

• DSC_0376.JPG
    DSC_0376.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0395.JPG
    DSC_0395.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0389.JPG
    DSC_0389.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0368.JPG
    DSC_0368.JPG
    390.4 KB · Views: 14
Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
I second the 'watch out for bikes comment'. The good news it that in most cases bikes are on separate tracks. The problem comes where the track crosses in front of you at a junction and at roundabouts.

If the track crosses the road there will be road markings and expect to pull up short of junctions (T junctions). The rule is where there is a cycle versus car situation the cyclist has right of way.

Watch out for roundabouts where cyclists may be following an outer ring within the roundabout. You have to give way to them as you enter - as with other traffic but watch for them coming up on your right, cutting across your path as you come to leave the roundabout. It's rare because cycle lanes are segregated but we came across this situation last year having not been to the NL for a few years and it was a big shock. The first one was an old lady going like the clappers.

When a pedestrian, take particular care, looking the correct way when stepping off the kerb......and make very sure you are not walking in a cycle lane. You won't hear them coming!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Are you going to Keukenhof? We have been 3 times and the bulb displays are breathtaking. Are you going from Harwich? Our favourite site is Strandbad, near Edam. The views over the Zeider Zee are lovely. Have a great trip.
Hi Foxy

Did you stop someplace close to the Keukenhof?

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi Foxy

Did you stop someplace close to the Keukenhof?

Martin

its not that far from Gouda Martin, we had a drive out and back from there last time in Holland

But be prepared to queue and crowds, there was an almighty traffic jam when we were there last and there must have been 100+ coaches

We made do with the fields and the smell, but Keukenhof probably should be done at least once (y)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We stayed last year at Koningshof, Rijsburg. Not sure if the spelling is correct, but it was a lovely site.
There is a car park right outside Keukenhof and we had no difficulty getting in. You can buy bulbs much more cheaply away from Keukenhof.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You can park overnight for free down this long lane amid the bulb fields near Keukenhof - loads of MHs park down there in the spring. The local baker turns up in the mornings with your brekkie bread. Very colourful.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
DON'T PARK IN A BIKE LANE .. Unlike the Uk where people park at the side of the road and block bike lanes it is not the done thing in Holland. If you need to park you park next to the bike lane. Just watch out when you get out as it's your fault if you knock someone off his / her bike. Last time I went on my own I got lost and finished up turning left over a dyke into a bike only road. Everyone stopped and let me reverse out without any drama. No hooting, No fist waving, Just very laid back ..

I did find some of their new roundabouts a bit of a nightmare. If you get in the wrong lane you cannot get out of it because they have curbs. The inside lane was right turn only. If you wanted to go straight on you had to be in the outside lane. I found one that had three lanes which really mucked me up. The outside lane was used to go left ONLY. SatNav was totally confused as all you could do was look for the road numbers and follow the road markings.

Oh .. and watch out for bikes they are everywhere ..... THOUSANDS OF THEM ..

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2017
Powys
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
since 2002
If you are taking your bikes , cycling outside the cities is a dream - traffic free routes nationwide

When you get there buy "De Landelijke Fietsatlas" which shows all the national cycleways for a reasonable sum

Also buy (on Internet) Vicarious books "All the Aires Belgium Lux and the Netherlands"

Recommend Aires at Gouda (handy for the Hook), Den Helder (for Tessel) , Einkhuizen, Gietthoorn(2),

Good campsites at Delpht and Alkamaar (pretty towns)

Beware many supermarkets do not accept debits or credit cards that we are used to.

Most people appear to speak English (better than we do)!!

Good Luck

Aug 5, 2012
Hitchin
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 644.
Exp
since 1970's
Sorry about the pic overload but newish member so don't understand the upload yet,I have five + years of pictures of Europe aires campsites + good and bad places, but would not like to bore you unless asked of a certain part.I have also found a glass of wine may not help with my posts.!!!!!!!!!

Snowbirds.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
its not that far from Gouda Martin, we had a drive out and back from there last time in Holland

But be prepared to queue and crowds, there was an almighty traffic jam when we were there last and there must have been 100+ coaches

We made do with the fields and the smell, but Keukenhof probably should be done at least once (y)
Hi David

Would plan to park up and cycle so that could be s bit far, but thanks anyway.

Martin

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Sites that may be of use / interest ---

Rijnsburg - Camping Koningshof - 52.20059, 4.45906 -
Den Oever - Aire - 52.93433, 5.04067 - https://goo.gl/maps/E15v4urcH7E2
Camping Vorrelveen - Campsite - 52.88097, 6.44305 - https://goo.gl/maps/yQNiTp1JKgQ2
Jachthaven de Hanze - Aire - 52.531351, 6.074823 - https://goo.gl/maps/39C2DV3yMJC2
Maashees - Camping Landgoed Geijsteren - 51.55978, 6.04342 - https://goo.gl/maps/L3vVgfngPSq
Camping Plaats Kompas - Private Aire - 51.42861, 6.128889 - https://goo.gl/maps/xat7w3baD9H2
Hanssum - Marina side Aire - 51.2576, 6.00446 - https://goo.gl/maps/tWMSsiVLzCM2

Maybe worth looking them up on Google Maps using the links provided and see if they feature in your tour.

Rod

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I second the 'watch out for bikes comment'. The good news it that in most cases bikes are on separate tracks. The problem comes where the track crosses in front of you at a junction and at roundabouts.

If the track crosses the road there will be road markings and expect to pull up short of junctions (T junctions). The rule is where there is a cycle versus car situation the cyclist has right of way.

Watch out for roundabouts where cyclists may be following an outer ring within the roundabout. You have to give way to them as you enter - as with other traffic but watch for them coming up on your right, cutting across your path as you come to leave the roundabout. It's rare because cycle lanes are segregated but we came across this situation last year having not been to the NL for a few years and it was a big shock. The first one was an old lady going like the clappers.

When a pedestrian, take particular care, looking the correct way when stepping off the kerb......and make very sure you are not walking in a cycle lane. You won't hear them coming!
I certainly did not find bikes an issue, but rather the (mainly Arabic) unlicensed moped (but often larger cc) riders, who due to an elderly but now significant loophole in the law are classed as being able to use the same paths as cyclists, particularly in Amsterdam.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.I have also found a glass of wine may not help with my posts.!!!!!!!!!
Snowbirds.

I've noticed that too.

Once, bottom of creating a new post there was "PREVIEW", now you have to click "More Options" then you will see "Preview", this does help, with or without wine.

And you can always edit a post as soon as the horrible truth hits you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back