Touring at Home vs Travelling in Abroad (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Oh yes you can. Overnighting at the road side is only illegal where restrictions have been put in place, the default is legal. See http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/roads.htm
Hi Graham,

I'm not entirely convinced, however I suspect that the overriding issue here in the UK is perhaps a matter of perception. Too many 'non MH'ers' are of the belief that it can not be done (including local authorities and Nimbys). In France the law (and understanding) is clear cut.......... overnight sleeping in a 'camping car' is legal and accepted by everyone.

Going back to the OP's original question........ the answer is personal and subjective for each one of us. I still maintain however that MH'ing abroad is a more laid back less stressful experience (for me) (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham,

I'm not entirely convinced, however I suspect that the overriding issue here in the UK is perhaps a matter of perception. Too many 'non MH'ers' are of the belief that it can not be done (including local authorities and Nimbys). In France the law (and understanding) is clear cut.......... overnight sleeping in a 'camping car' is legal and accepted by everyone.

Going back to the OP's original question........ the answer is personal and subjective for each one of us. I still maintain however that MH'ing abroad is a more laid back less stressful experience (for me) (y)
I think the main problem with the UK is that too many people in general - including motorhomers - haven't a clue about what the law says and simply assume they can do what they want :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Used to do the UK when we had a caravan, since we have had Motorhomes we have found England almost impossible so have given up, Scotland is OK apart from the weather.
Not easy to park in towns & villages, Cl's & CS' in the middle of nowhere and where they are in a suitable location often charge as much as a commercial site. A lot of them now have EHU and won't give a discount if you don't need it, never found a need for EHU in a Motorhome.

Only downside of going abroad is the 22 mile drive to a channel port.:LOL:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Both for us. Europe is just so much more foreign.. Feels like a holiday..

Mind you after a long weekend in Holland I'm knackered this morning...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I don't really get the verses bit. Both are great and I would hate to have to choose one above the other. There is an awful lot of this country I have yet to see (I may even go down South at some point). I love the highlands and Northern England and will definitely tour these areas a lot more. Having said that I also love the parts of mainland Europe I have seen and want to see more. So for me both.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We agree with "glen2926" both have their good points, mainland Europe is a fantastic place to explore but so is the UK, we have travelled both and found the main attraction is being free to travel to where ever you want to go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back