Touring Abroad Vs. Touring At Home (1 Viewer)

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We have changed over the years and now spend 75% of our trips outside the UK. This is a total reversal of 10 years ago. Reasons are weather,welcome and people.Big impact is also cost. As the C.C and C.& C.C. have continued to raise fees for campers the cost of long trips in UK become beyond us. We leave tomorrow for 5 weeks across the Channel and we know the cost will be lower than spending the same time here. When we stay on sites we will be valued as folk who add to the local economy and not the growing feeling here that we are a nuisance! The only way to do UK is now C.L or C.S. and the risk of soft ground and getting stuck or finding one with hard standing and paying as much as a French site with a swimming pool etc.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Abroad every time for us England used to be one of the prettiest countries but it is now overcrowded and getting filthier and more disgusting each time we return. I agree if you can cope with the midges and weather Scotland is somewhat different to scruffy overcrowded England

We have got so disgusted with England we have decided to move to France and bought a house there, we will keep our van and go down to Portugal for the colder part of winter.

The great difference we notice after spending seven months across the channel is that we can park a big van in any village or town with perfect ease and at no cost. We come back to England and it can be nigh on impossible and worse it costs me 60p just to park to nip in the post office to post a flipping letter

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We've toured the UK since getting our first van in 2006 & found Scotland to be the the best place to avoid the feeling of being ripped off & unwelcome. It's a good drive from our house though .
Went over the water at the beginning of last October, very nervous about it all, we had planned to try to stay out for about 3 months.
We didn't return on the Chunnel until 16th March, says it all really doesn't it.
It's been a game changer for us really. Since I retired early cash is a bit tighter so it's a no brainer to spend more time in France,Portugal etc.
It's a nice idea that the UK will soon wake up & smell the coffee but don't hold your breath.
Spoke to several nationalities whilst away who said that the UK has some nice places but is way too expensive for an extended stay.
I've often wondered why you don't see many "foreign " vans over here.
Not any more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Holidaying in the UK is just a pain!
We have not toured UK for two years , but due to circumstances we have just been away to Conway for four days on a ccc meet in a field , £8 a night so not too bad but it all came back to us within half an hour why we just don't bother with UK , it was in a field with all different slopes on it and admitted there was plenty room but one side was against a busy road so we parked up on the only bit of flat away from the road about four or five yards away from another mh but on the side away from their door they were happy and so were we but we had just got the kettle on and a knock on the door , the warder appeared ," hey yer can't park there, yerv gotta be 8 meters away from the next van" .
Never heard anything like that in Europe , no contest where we'll be going next time.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
used to be the uk. but now try to have our main hols in Europe now. trying to get the wife to winter in Europe . wont hold my breath.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When we first bought our M/H we tended to spend most time in the UK, due mainly to family responsibilities, and Scotland was/is our favourite (although only being an hour from the border helps!). Now that we are fully retired and no longer have to think of those responsibilities we tend to go abroad, mainly for the weather though it usually works out cheaper too. The last three winters we've spent in Spain, Portugal and Morocco and would thoroughly recommend it - as a side benefit we've definitely made some financial savings.

We've therefore come to a decision that while we can, we'll spend our longer breaks exploring further afield - we're planning Norway and Sweden next year - and continue to winter in the southern sun. We'll leave exploring the UK until we're no longer up to the longer distances, although we'll still "do" occasional UK meets & shows.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
For us after 30 years there isn't any comparison. The choice is simple. Do you want to tour whenever you want, have reasonably priced sites, not have regimental jobsworths instructing you, be TOTALLY FREE to come and go whenever you want? ?? On the other hand do you want to do away with all the above crap then its got to be France and Europe. The only place we now feel free to tour freely in Scotland. Am in France and will be for 84 days. No booking required and using mainly free Aires for at least 70 days of our trip. The UK is now totally geared for caravans who pitch for weeks and weeks on end. Motor homers are travellers and yearn for travel and adventure. The decision is up to the individual. We're all different, thank goodness.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Only been doin' it two years. Tolerate England when we can park and afford it, like Scotland for freedom to park, rest of the time its other places(France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco) that want you there!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are loads of nice places in uk for wilding and no bother .
uk is cheap for food . not good for fuel beer or fags.
you just have to use your brain and find the right places to stop. . then dont stay too long and spoil it .

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
there are loads of nice places in uk for wilding and no bother .
uk is cheap for food . not good for fuel beer or fags.
you just have to use your brain and find the right places to stop. . then dont stay too long and spoil it .
That may be so, vwalan, but the point is that wild camping is Ok, for the odd overnight stop. The point is that wild camping is exactly that, usually some waste land somewhere, or the odd spot in a Forest or wherever. The main point is that people want to park near places of interest, (and not 10 miles away !!!) such as Castles, places to eat, and relax, shop, sightsee, etc. The main point is that we are restricted in many places of interest just to park up, anywhere near these places. and may I say" Pay to park" We are restricted by Height Barriers. Most people would gladly pay to park, but we are not even given that privelege to do that. All these towns, cities, etc. want our money and custom, but they do not want us to park there. All the above replies to my initial thread say it all really. A lot of people have read this thread, although not so many have replied so far. BillyS

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Put it on your to do list... (y)

Spectacular scenery... Lovely people... (Most are.. ;))... but you have to have the weather right... :D

The weather is always right in Scotland..... for doing something anyway :)

Martin is reluctant to even plan going to Europe at present (for obvious reasons) .... maybe once he has his check-up and any follow up we will think about a trip. However this year's diary is filling up so fast we don't really need to go over the channel. It's also expensive for us no matter which ferry service we take.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
That may be so, vwalan, but the point is that wild camping is Ok, for the odd overnight stop. The point is that wild camping is exactly that, usually some waste land somewhere, or the odd spot in a Forest or wherever. The main point is that people want to park near places of interest, (and not 10 miles away !!!) such as Castles, places to eat, and relax, shop, sightsee, etc. The main point is that we are restricted in many places of interest just to park up, anywhere near these places. and may I say" Pay to park" We are restricted by Height Barriers. Most people would gladly pay to park, but we are not even given that privelege to do that. All these towns, cities, etc. want our money and custom, but they do not want us to park there. All the above replies to my initial thread say it all really. A lot of people have read this thread, although not so many have replied so far. BillyS
all i know is last campsite i went on in uk was in 2005 . cant say as i have any probs finding a place to park. perhaps i should have said free parking /camping . thats the way to do it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back