LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
having caerfully considered getting the kit myself and then not even knowing what polish to look at use what a cutting compound is never mind what grade I have decided to get a professional in to my Rapido 999m.
main problem appears to be oxidation plus dullness (who knows that might even be the same thing)

So I have tracked down the above company and wondered if anyone has used them?

All advice welcome.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If it`s your body work Paul..

Try this =

Manufacturer: R222

Product Code: 12704W

Rating:
five-stars.gif

Availability:
tick.gif
In Stock

Our Price: £33.95

R222 'Concours Look' Carnauba Wax
Need it fast? want guaranteed delivery on Friday, September 29?

Order it in the next 23 hours, 20 minutes and choose EXPRESS Delivery at checkout.

'Concours-Look' Carnauba Paste Wax
Highly rated by several independent tests, R222 'Concours Look' Carnauba Wax is a rich blend of pure Brazilian No.1 yellow carnauba and beeswax that offers one of the deepest 'wet look' shines available on the market - and at a great price.

Features & Benefits:

• Does not contain unnecessary dyes, perfumes or colours
  • Does not chalk or leave white residue stains on rubber, plastics, etc
  • Buffs off easily - does not streak
  • Extremely effective on modern clear-coats
  • Supplied with an R222 closed-cell foam applicator pad
  • Recently received "Editor's Choice" rating from Guru Report
Size: 200 ml

Not cheap..... I have used it on all sorts of dulled paintwork, and usually last`s a year before redoing...

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
how do you do it Mo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
how do you do it Mo

As said... Is it the Paintwork.. ???

I used a very soft cloth, ever so slightly damp... rub it in gently and a good quality cloth to buff it to a shine like you have never seen..

A lot of prestige car garages use it...

Any polish with a good mix of "Carnauba" in should work...

But a lot only have a smidgen of Carnauba and mainly Bee`s wax.. but still advertise Carnuaba wax.. making you think the majority is the real deal...

And it is not..

Good luck.. (y)

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
ok thanks Mo, does it remove scratches and black streaks etc? the company have quoted me £475 for a restoration job so expensive but want to make sure I get the right job done ..

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
£475.... :Eeek: I suppose if it last`s for years... that`s not bad..

I have not tried it on a Mo-home... only the cheap stuff...

And always tried to remove the streaks with a an appropriate stain/streak remover...

All the old cars did not have streaks like we know... just dulled paintwork..

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I don't know the company mentioned.
Have you had a look through the detailing threads as there was a fair piece written about polishing Motorhomes and what to use.

You usually have to polish the bodywork then use a good quality wax or sealant to protect the body work.
A wax won't remove scratches.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Paul........... If you are in no great hurry..... I am sure I have a drop of original Carnauba in one of the unpacked crates in the shed/garage/pig sty... some where..

If you can hang on a week or so, I will see if I can find it.... and you could try a bit and see how it works before you spend out loads of £££`s..

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
You can only remove oxidisation by polishing the GRP surface, once removed, the renewed surface then needs protecting from further UV damage with a wax.
It is very easy to burn the Gelcoat surface so if you have never used a powered polisher and cutting polish before, then I would suggest that your motorhome is possibly not the best thing to learn on!

If you are prepared to put in a little bit of effort, this can be used by hand and will give a good result:

Amazon product ASIN B0000AY66D
To put your quoted price in context; to machine polish and then hand wax all external surfaces (deck, hull, cockpit and flybridge) on a lightly oxidised 30 foot boat would cost around the same price.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
thanks mate, it's what I was thinking tbh. ... Not the best thing to learn on, some jobs are best left to the experts.. .they have sent me some pics today of a van similar to mine and come highly recommended might just have to change the van or bite the bullet and get it done.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Once done it will clean easier and you can keep on top of wax procedure in the future.

Collinite 476 is a hard wearing wax

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
yes that was what I was thinking SF.. If i get sorted I can then keep it up to a standard I want, I have had the van 2 years and it's never looked right tbh including a row with the provider who promised a full job prior to collection. I will post some before and after pics so it can be assessed by some of our keyboard experts,

and @old-mo we are practically neighbours mate, you can pop over and give it a go yourself. :sneaky::sneaky:

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
I have used Tourershine for a previous motorhome. Their professionalism, effort and attention to detail is extremely good. The final product excellent.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
It is worth pointing out that the best protection for GRP is a highly polished surface combined with a quality wax.
Happy to share the reason but my wife tells me the whole thing is boring. :(

There are a number of products that 'coat' the GRP and make it shine simply by putting a reflective layer on top, the down side is that you get locked into using that product and its particular (expensive) wash solution or have to undergo the pain of having it polished away and starting again. I am not knocking these products as they have their place and some of them such as GTechniq are quality products but from my experience do not offer the level of UV protection that a highly polished, waxed surface offers.

The gelcoat surface can only be polished so many times before you wear it away and leave the ends of the glass strands exposed to start wicking up moisture. So the less number of times GRP gets polished the better it is, and conversely, the better the quality of the polished surface, the less times it will need polishing in its lifetime.

My advice with GRP is to always use a polishing company who are able to produce a really high quality surface, then keep it waxed twice a year, only wash it with a good quality wash concentrate/solution and stay away from companies who rely on bottles of the latest miracle wonder juice rather than producing high quality polished surfaces.

I have no idea in which camp Tourershine sits but it would be worth asking the question.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Without wanting to teach anyone how to suck eggs, nor bore anyone rigid, I have chucked together a quick pictorial demonstration of what I mean, the sketches show a cross section of GRP in close-up. The black line depicting the Gelcoat surface and the green lines being sunlight/UV rays.

sketch number 1 below shows a highly polished surface (with no scratches) reflecting sunlight and UV rays away and protecting itself.

Sketch number 2 shows a poorly polished surface with scratches still in the surface and the sunlight and UV rays being absorbed into the gelcoat surface rather than being reflected away causing yellowing and oxidisation

Sketch number 3 shows a poorly polished surface with scratches on the surface and a coating applied to produce a shine, the sunlight and UV is only partly reflected away due to most surface coatings not offering much beyond 50% protection from sunlight and UV rays.

fullsizeoutput_b49.jpeg

I have been looking for a photo of a boat after I had polished it but before I applied any wax and found this one.

This boat was firstly polished with a fine grade polish and then I went over again for a second pass with a finishing grade polish. As already said, the photo was taken before any wax was applied and shows that it is the polishing rather than the waxing (or any other surface coating) that actually produces the basis of the best results.

IMG_2846_zps869scrqe.jpg

Hope this helps explain it a bit better. (y)

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Just to prove the above photo wasn't a one off, here is another one of a boat I polished at the start of the year before it had any wax applied, (you can just make out the line around some damage that had been previously repaired to the top left of the hull). :)

IMG_2980.jpg

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
They treated our PVC when it was new and Nick tells me it makes cleaning it much easier and I think it looks good. I think we'd get them in again when we change or van. The chap was very nice and came all the way down to us in Sherborne, unfortunately a couple if months later a dent and scratch appeared whilst we were at a funster rally, no-one confessed.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I have used Tourershine for a previous motorhome. Their professionalism, effort and attention to detail is extremely good. The final product excellent.

Not used them myself but known of them used for years on the caravan forums and their customers sing their praise .

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Take it you don`t want my half bottle of Carnauba Polish then Paul ??? :lipssealed:

When I can find it... :giggler:

Yours looks lovely... (y)

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
It looks so new it's up for sale now!!!!
new carpets, £200
New Matress £500
Tourershine restoration job £475
Air suspesnsion £450
Sog fitted £150
New Fancy sat nav stereo £500
Pure sine inverter, £300
Sat system £700
Gaslow £300

Nothing else I can do with it but sell it now....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It looks so new it's up for sale now!!!!
new carpets, £200
New Matress £500
Tourershine restoration job £475
Air suspesnsion £450
Sog fitted £150
New Fancy sat nav stereo £500
Pure sine inverter, £300
Sat system £700
Gaslow £300

Nothing else I can do with it but sell it now....
I think you will find its pretty normal to fit Hydraulic jacks as well just before you decide to sell(y)

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back