Tour De France (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
We are planning to follow the Tour this year as 'first-timers'. We have plenty of Europe touring experience But most of it not in peak period and definitely not following the tour. I'm sure others must have done this and would be grateful for any advice they can offer.

Particular queries I know I have include
- where and when are the fully detailed routes published?
- how far ahead is it necessary to be to get a 'pitch' on the route to follow the riders?
- how feasible is to to use aires, or are they hopelessly oversubscribed?
- all the things I need to know that I don't even know I need to ask!!??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I have watched the peloton whiz past on several occasions though only once in any year and only when it is close to home. Flat stages only and imho the anticipation and the caravan of floats etc are greater than the main event.

A steep hill e.g. Mont Ventoux would give you more of a day out but it looks as if the hardcore supporters, mostly Dutch, arrive a week beforehand to secure the best roadside pitches. If you can get into an aire you won'get out very easily. Don't forget that the roads will be closed to the hoi polloi from very early morn on the day.

As for the detailed route I suggest that you start with the Le Tour website.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The official tour guide in the link above is very good. If you don’t want to buy online most big magazine retailers will stock it including some supermarkets.

Yes, for mountain finishes you will have to get there days in advance but French people along the route are often accommodating. We once arrived at an intermediate sprint the day before and just asked at an industrial unit if we could park overnight in their access road, “no problem” then the next day we got out our table and chairs and joined some more locals in their driveway.

Get in touch with @colyboy who might be going this year.

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Off to watch the finish at la planche des belles filles stage 6 and the start of stage 7 at Belfort ? it is all about the build up and atmosphere and then suddenly 180 bikes wizz past and the place falls asleep again

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Tour de France was in Balma about 10/15 minutes ago!
No one can get out with a car! I have to look after the toddlers up to 7.00:censored::(

(sorry for the bold ... Can't remember who told me it was n too much of a pain to read me with bold on, but I don't see the colour ... and it annoys me!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back