Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Lytham St Annes
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 630SE
Exp
5years
Reading various reports of the TDF2016 Stage 12 (the one up to Mount Ventoux where Chris Froome ended up running) I came across this paragraph from some parasite called Richard Williams who writes for the Guardian

"The TV motorcycle did not cause the crash on Thursday; the spectators did. And if they can no longer be trusted to respect the riders by observing the etiquette of normal civilised behaviour, then the Tour’s organisers should recognise their own responsibility by placing barriers along the final 5km of every significant climb, maybe also banning the ubiquitous and unsightly motor homes from the verges. The race itself must always come first."

What a k@*b!!! Hope I never get to meet him.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Nor me, really. It was indeed the stupidity of the spectators that caused the crash (ie the m-bike to have to slam its brakes on, which caused the cyclists to crash, etc) but really if they allow that many spectators anywhere where there isn't enough room, surely some of the responsibility is with the policing/marshalling? Not like the Mohos themselves were obstructing and none of them can carry more people than can flatten theirselves along each one's length, is it? If there isn't any room left on any stage for a Moho to park - my understanding is that you get turned back anyway!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had to look up "ubiquitous"...

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Agree with most of the reported content but not re the MH's cluttering up the route. How are people supposed to get to the route which is normally closed the evening before the race is due.

I know of people who secured a parking spot on Alpe d'heuz last Sunday - that's what I call dedication (4 days before the race). I personally feel that the MH followers/supporters add an extra dimension to the race and a feeling of "entente cordiale" between nationalities.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
One of the reasons I bought a motorhome was to join them some time. It does wind me up though seeing the antics of some of the spectators, it's amazing that there are not more crashes!

OP
OP
Ianne

Ianne

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Lytham St Annes
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 630SE
Exp
5years
The point of the post was the authors derogatory reference to 'unsightly motorhomes'. The cause of the crash is pretty clear: a few over exited spectators. Those thousands of 'unsightly motorhomes' religiously follow the tour year after year. They bring welcome income to the country. As other funsters have noted, I haven't spotted any moho's cluttering the route. Parking on the verges, along with all other traffic yes. And there are many Dutch followers who are at Ventoux 10 days before. I agree that the vast majority of spectators form part of the Tour magic.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe you will find there was more than one thing that led to the chaos...

The decision to reduce the distance so the finish wasn't going to be at the top of the mountain where the weather was going to be too dangerous, meant that the people already up there all moved down causing bad over crowding.

Also I believe that there was not enough time to reposition the barriers from the planned finish to the new one.

AND, of course, there were some brainless spectators who dangerously crowd the cyclists and, in this case, forcing the motorbike to stop suddenly...

Just saying like...

JJ :cool:

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I believe you will find there was more than one thing that led to the chaos...

The decision to reduce the distance so the finish wasn't going to be at the top of the mountain where the weather was going to be too dangerous, meant that the people already up there all moved down causing bad over crowding.

Also I believe that there was not enough time to reposition the barriers from the planned finish to the new one.

AND, of course, there were some brainless spectators who dangerously crowd the cyclists and, in this case, forcing the motorbike to stop suddenly...

Just saying like...

JJ :cool:
I completely agree with the above, that is why the organisers had to change the results, as the problem was largely caused by their change to the finish line position.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
I know of people who secured a parking spot on Alpe d'heuz last Sunday - that's what I call dedication (4 days before the race). I personally feel that the MH followers/supporters add an extra dimension to the race and a feeling of "entente cordiale" between nationalities.

I hope you can get in touch with them.
This year's Tour doesn't go up Alpe d'Huez :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back