Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Hi

Ask battery man for manufacturers spec showing 14 day cycles

I suspect duff batteries
Due to just being duff, or poor charging routine cos they're AGM and I have the Schaults 119 - careful answering as you fitted the solar!!:D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is there any factual evidence out there on the WWW, that I can take and present to the Dealer's "Battery Man"?
Almost certainly.. Sorry to say I rely ( in this instance ) on my own recognizance .. in that I have in the past worked in the field and did some peripheral design and R & D work for certain well known charger manufacturer not a million miles from Downham market :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just duff

It happens which is why so many places sell batteries

The only time this is disputed is when they are under warranty lol

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A possible solution might be, rather than buying new batteries and/or other expensive charging equipment, you pay up for a modern, stylish hair do for your Child Bride.

You know the one I mean?

The one with the (very) short hair...

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
A possible solution might be, rather than buying new batteries and/or other expensive charging equipment, you pay up for a modern, stylish hair do for your Child Bride.

You know the one I mean?

The one with the (very) short hair...

JJ :cool:
If I do that, I will still have to run the Sky box as there will be no way she would be going out. That, or I will have to watch Sky cos I cannot walk with two broken legs.:LOL:

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Try Broken Link Removedone
Well I've never seen this before - doesn't mean much though. :rolleyes: If this can be left in the MH and just the card swapped over, it is worth a look at.(y) Cheaper in the long run than Sky multi room I suppose :) Still needs Hab battery power and it doesn't say what the Wattage is, but can I assume it is a lot less than a sky + box on an inverter. Still wont dry Jane's hair, or deep cycle charge my AGMs will it.o_O

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
That's what we do every day
And a Nespresso coffee machine (but not at the same time)

Our leisure batteries managed for the past year without issue
And us! In fact the moho is just a very fancy case for the nesspresso machine with sleeping facilities as far as Mrs McHood is concerned:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:... oh you get the idea....:)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Does make you wonder why they still use them then. My 119 is supposed to be the right charger for agm but may not be. Don't go with the dealers "battery mans" theory, but could go for not charging long enough at the right voltage. We will see when I get the MH back next week and we go for our three week trip to Scotland next Saturday. May have to have another chat with @eddievanbitz iver a chocolate soon then about b2b

According to those that should know, the Schaudt EBL119 is an EBL99 modified to suit AGM batteries, why it's taken them 4 years to bring it out and Hymer to fit it is anyone's guess. I would have thought that after the trouble Hymer have had over this issue that they would have made sure to get it right this time, although my faith in German engineering and excellence isn't what it was. FWIW I also understand that the Schaudt LR1218 solar controller doesn't have an AGM setting, although the much more expensive MPPT version does.
Also, before fitting a B2B charger to a gel or AGM battery, it might be a good idea to speak to Stirling.

I must stress that I'm not an expert, this is only what my online research has led me to believe.

Malcolm

Malcolm

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have just wasted 5 minutes of my life I will never get back reading this thread to conclude that the earlier replies answered the OP perfectly.
The batteries are knackered!

And the MH dealer is full of crap.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
As everyone seem to like updates, here is mine and it will not be of any surprise that.........the batteries are knackered. :rolleyes: Having now spoken to the dealer, it would certainly appear that he didn't fully understand what his "Batt Man" was talking about.:D Due to the way I use the MH, Hair dryer, sky, satfi and radio and charging Hoovers and drill batteries without EHU and only 1 -2 hrs drive and the solar probably cannot replenish everything, I am taking out more than I am putting in and therefore a charge on EHU every few week will give the batts recovery time. Not batts NEED to be on EHU every few week regardless. The batts are holding only 6% charge now even after a weekend of servicing them.:( It now leaves me with very little choice but to replace with the same -they are good batts and are the only size I can get tomorrow to fit under the seat, and look more seriously at the B2B system to assist in the charging process. I am also finding it hard to justify kicking off and pushing for a warranty replacement as I can see that maybe, on top of poor charging regime, I have contributed to the demise of them and it has all come to light after the inverter was fitted. So next question is which one? @eddievanbitz you need to come back early, get the Chocolate and Capt Morgan ready I'm on my way.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
might be a good idea to speak to Stirling.
The guy that runs Sterling has such biassed views on batteries he hates Gel's but those of us that use them havbe nothing but praise for them.

@Zigisla Throw your inverter in the bin:rolleyes: We have had nearly a month away with no EHU.:)
Why we have an inverter and spend 2 months without EHU, apart from duff AGM batteries it is not a problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
ave the ave the Exide G80 at a cracking price at the moment
As everyone seem to like updates, here is mine and it will not be of any surprise that.........the batteries are knackered. :rolleyes: Having now spoken to the dealer, it would certainly appear that he didn't fully understand what his "Batt Man" was talking about.:D Due to the way I use the MH, Hair dryer, sky, satfi and radio and charging Hoovers and drill batteries without EHU and only 1 -2 hrs drive and the solar probably cannot replenish everything, I am taking out more than I am putting in and therefore a charge on EHU every few week will give the batts recovery time. Not batts NEED to be on EHU every few week regardless. The batts are holding only 6% charge now even after a weekend of servicing them.:( It now leaves me with very little choice but to replace with the same -they are good batts and are the only size I can get tomorrow to fit under the seat, and look more seriously at the B2B system to assist in the charging process. I am also finding it hard to justify kicking off and pushing for a warranty replacement as I can see that maybe, on top of poor charging regime, I have contributed to the demise of them and it has all come to light after the inverter was fitted. So next question is which one? @eddievanbitz you need to come back early, get the Chocolate and Capt Morgan ready I'm on my way.(y)
No.........o don't replace them with the same it would be less painful to throw your money in the bin.

Tanya have the Exide G80 for a cracking price at the moment £134.91 cheapest I've ever seen them, and the do the Sonnenschein GL75 gel for £140.22, I fitted the Sonnenschein in my van, very pleased with them. Tanya also next day delivery and if you ring them they will only charge £10 carriage for 2.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
ave the ave the Exide G80 at a cracking price at the moment

No.........o don't replace them with the same it would be less painful to throw your money in the bin.

Tanya have the Exide G80 for a cracking price at the moment £134.91 cheapest I've ever seen them, and the do the Sonnenschein GL75 gel for £140.22, I fitted the Sonnenschein in my van, very pleased with them. Tanya also next day delivery and if you ring them they will only charge £10 carriage for 2.
Thanks very much for your time and efforts, but unfortunately all done now. Dealer was doing me a good deed and worked hard to get replacements over immediately so that they could refit assemble the seat and have it ready sooner rather than later so I can get packed ready for the off Fri. We have however found what could be another snag which could have been draining the batteries, but this will need further investigation before we will know more.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Did they change them under warranty? If the new ones fail in 8 months you will still be well withing the 2 year original warranty period.
Mine were 18 months old, local Hymer dealer wouldn't change them as they passed the CAA test but if I had brought the van from them they would have and taken the hit themselves. I could have gone back to my dealer in Belgium who I have a very good relationship with but didn't see the point in spending £150 on a trip to get them replaced with the same so I shelled out £300 for a pair of Gels.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
When the dealer fitted the new batts, when they connected them up, without the cab bat connected the dash lit up and radio came on. It would appear that the battery master maybe the drain on the hab batts. In the passed the cab would show 13.6 on the tracker app. This maybe because the bm was taking charge all the time. Now disconnected time will tell then I will see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back