Total Noob.... Carthago M-Liner (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
GyroPilot
Jul 19, 2019
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Carthago M-Liner 52w
Exp
2019-11-30 19.28.10-1.jpg2019-11-30 19.51.53-1.jpg2019-11-30 18.54.42-1.jpg

Electric and boiler system. I think I misquoted the previous owner. IIRC he said "ignore the Truma controller on the electric panel/no need to touch it."

He said he gets two or three days off-grid from the leisure battery/gas alone and the battery recharges after an hour or two's driving. I asked about not letting the battery go below about 40%, and he seems to think no problem with letting it go very low. It comes right back up again.
Looks a meaty battery whatever. Is it 225 Ah ? :unsure:

edit: supposed to be a 300W inverter in there somewhere too...

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, it seems to be full auto with tiptronic. (+/-) I didn't notice anything unusual about it when driving it home 100 miles. I'll try to get a close-up pic tomorrow.

Last owner reckons he gets 25 mpg at 50-60 mph.... Cruise control nice, just like on my CLK. (y)

what chassis is it on, 416 or 616, Sprintshift wasn't available on the 6 tonne 616 variant.

OP
OP
GyroPilot
Jul 19, 2019
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Carthago M-Liner 52w
Exp
Not sure (it's probably in the German original paperwork which is in the van), but it's definitely 7.7m length. Carthago also did an 8.3m version of this model or a variation thereof.

I've also seen IVECO and MAN versions of this Carthago or very similar...

This is a Mercedes 2.7 diesel auto (September 2004)

As far as I can see it's a 52W as found on this internet archive site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The Truma triomatic control panel monitors the 2 gas cylinders. It lets you know when the primary one runs out and switches to the secondary bottle.

You have an Alde boiler and radiators for heating. You need to replace the fluid in the radiators as per your user manual.

You have a schault battery charger and 12v management system - much better than the CBE system fitted to later Carthago's IMO.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure (it's probably in the German original paperwork which is in the van), but it's definitely 7.7m length. Carthago also did an 8.2m version of this model or a variation thereof.

I've also seen IVECO and MAN versions of this Carthago or very similar...

This is a Mercedes 2.7 diesel auto (September 2004)

what's the gross vehicle weight?

OP
OP
GyroPilot
Jul 19, 2019
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Carthago M-Liner 52w
Exp
Wow, Wagoneer!

Thanks, if only I understood what that all meant!:LOL:

OP
OP
GyroPilot
Jul 19, 2019
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Carthago M-Liner 52w
Exp
2019-11-30 18.42.50.jpg

Anyone know what that is?

It's in one of the lockers above the cab bed...:unsure:

[I was guessing something to do with the alarm, which is VanBitz]

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure, unless it's in that archived 52W stuff I just posted. (y)

you need to hope it's stress n the 616 chassis as if it's the 415 it will be seriously short of payload.

There will be a weight plate near habitation door or just inside it?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Wow, Wagoneer!

Thanks, if only I understood what that all meant!:LOL:

Haha. I'll try and explain:

1) you have 2 gas cylinders, yes ? There is a changeover device in the gas locker. When one cylinder runs out it switches to the other. The status is shown on the panel.

2) the Alde boiler heats water for the taps and also heats the van via radiators or via a network of underfloor finned pipes.

3) the 240v charger / 12v distribution system is made by Schault (aka electroblock) and is German. The equivalent CBE system is Italian and fitted to most later model Carthagoes.

It's a steep learning curve but you'll get there eventually :LOL:

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
:hi2:w2f

OP
OP
GyroPilot
Jul 19, 2019
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Carthago M-Liner 52w
Exp
OK, thanks for the explanation.

Yes, two gas cyls.

That is another thing I need to understand. Where do you get them filled? In the UK and in Europe?
Do you need adaptors in Europe?

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks all of you, for your understanding and patience ! :LOL:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK, thanks for the explanation.

Yes, two gas cyls.

That is another thing I need to understand. Where do you get them filled? In the UK and in Europe?
Do you need adaptors in Europe?

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks all of you, for your understanding and patience ! :LOL:
You can get the bottles filled in petrol stations that also have an Autogas LPG pump. Easiest way to find them is with an app on your smartphone. FillLPG is the best app for the UK and mylpg is the best one for Europe. Both are free apps.

You can get adapters for different countries. There are three that cover different parts of Europe. You will also need a bayonet type fitting for the UK, depending upon what type of filling point you have. Some have the bayonet fitting fitted as part of the filling point, whereas others have just a female screw thread so you will also need a bayonet adaptor as well.

All can be bought from the Gasit site.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Not sure, unless it's in that archived 52W stuff I just posted. (y)
It is - the first figures (Technisch zulassige Gesamtmasse) show the maximum permissible weight so 4600 kg for the 416 chassis, 5900 kg for the 616 chassis.
The second figures (Masse in fahrbereitem Zustand) show Mass in Running Order , the theoretical weight as it left the factory - ie without any options. The asterisk implies that somewhere there will be an explanation of what is included - usually an allowance of 75 kg for driver, water, etc. Afraid I don’t know what Carthago included in MIRO at that time - subsequently manufacturers have made changes, so as to increase apparent payload, eg by only including 25% (or less) of water.

In theory the difference between the first and second figures is your payload. In practice there are “permitted variances” in the MIRO figure, with vans often coming out of the factory heavier than spec, and there are often options and accessories to factor in. The safest thing to do is get your van weighed at a weighbridge.

OP
OP
GyroPilot
Jul 19, 2019
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Carthago M-Liner 52w
Exp
Can't find the weight placard, but...
It seems to be a Sprinter 616. It has the air-brake, and the full history file also mentions 616 here and there.
The auto seems "normal" to me. More photos. (y)

Having seen the gas, what adapters (including Europe) might I need? Where's the best place to fill up here (Merseyside)? Do I need an annual gas safety check?

So many questions...:unsure: :glitter:
2019-12-01 11.20.10.jpg2019-12-01 10.31.59.jpg2019-12-01 10.53.04.jpg2019-12-01 10.53.22.jpg2019-12-01 11.32.22.jpg2019-12-01 11.34.32.jpg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Can't find the weight placard, but...
It seems to be a Sprinter 616. It has the air-brake, and the full history file also mentions 616 here and there.
The auto seems "normal" to me. More photos. (y)

Having seen the gas, what adapters (including Europe) might I need? Where's the best place to fill up here (Merseyside)? Do I need an annual gas safety check?

So many questions...:unsure: :glitter:
View attachment 349529View attachment 349530View attachment 349531View attachment 349532View attachment 349533View attachment 349534
From those photos you do not have self refillable cylinders, Instead when they run out you need to exchange them for full ones. Where you can do so will depend on whose cylinders they are. They may be Calor but could be other suppliers. You will have to search the supplier's website to find where you can get exchanges.

I would recommend getting refillables fitted instead. That is because each country has its own bottles so you will not be able to exchange your UK bottles in Europe. A two bottle refillable system will cost about £500 to £600, and you can fit it yourself or pay others to do so.

Edit: lovely van by the way! You chose a good one.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The bottles look like they're non-refillable. You have a single bulkhead 30Mb regulator. To change from one bottle to the other requires detaching the hose and connecting it to the other bottle.

I think the Truma triomatic system has been replaced by the single bulkhead regulator. I had the triomatic system on my 2002 Hymer but it wasn't linked to an internal panel display. I guess the internal display is superfluous to requirements based on the current setup (as suggested by the previous owner).

You could replace one of the bottles with a refillable which would connect directly to the existing hose, after removing the red hand adaptor. However, you would need to install an external filler (preferably) with additional hose to the refillable. The remaining non-refillable bottle would be used as an emergency reserve. That's the system I currently use.

At a later date you may wish to add an automatic changeover device to link the 2 bottles.

The system you currently have is fine....but if you wish to spend long periods across the channel then a refillable bottle would be preferable.

OP
OP
GyroPilot
Jul 19, 2019
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Carthago M-Liner 52w
Exp
Thanks. Any idea where I might get this work done? Don't fancy messing with gas myself. :rolleyes:
The previous owner reckoned the current system should last about 3 weeks constant use IIRC, but he also carried a third bottle in the garage (not included in the deal).

Also, there is only one remote for the alarm (VanBitz). The other one fell to bits, although the chip is in one of the lockers. Any way I could get another one without a trip down to them? There is a red "code card" with a barcode on the back. Is that something to do with it?
2019-12-01 14.05.08.jpg

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
When I sold my Hymer (with Vanbitz alarm) the new owners registered the alarm system with Vanbitz for a small fee. This is for security reasons. You should have the Vanbitz paperwork in order to transfer title.

Once this is done, I'm sure Vanbitz would be happy to send you a new casing (for a nominal charge) so you could reinsert the chip. The red code card is indeed related to the Vanbitz alarm. You may need a new complete programmed fob as not sure if that style is still used.

Regarding the refillable bottle.....the fitting of an external filler is a relatively easy DIY job. Minxy Girl fitted one recently to her new Carthago and posted full instructions. If you want to have it fitted, I'm sure others will recommend a local establishment. That's why it's useful to have your approximately location added to your user profile.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Minxy girl post for information:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!