The French Fuel Company 'Total' place ban on filling LPG tanks on their forecourts in France. (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I carry a Campingaz cylinder as a reserve - with regulator and tube - Campingaz - expensive but available all over Europe (y)

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Hmmm all very interesting reading for anyone who’s yet to commit to refillable LPG ….
I guess if …and I say “if”, other petrol retailers follow suit and if refillable LPG For heating/cooking does become hard to come by, diesel heating starts to become a more interesting option - diesel is still going to be outlawed eventually but perhaps later than refillable LPG…..

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I believe the reason for not filling up in Italy was the tax difference between domestic and travel gas.
Whether this has had any bearing on the Total decision in France is unknown to me.
What I know is that it really doesnt matter to the Italian operators of LPG in the sticks where we filled up twice and I doubt its going to get enforced in France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The fridge then runs on the 12v power whilst we are driving, which keeps things cool, but the fridge does warm up, especially on a long run on a warm day
The fridge then runs on the 12v power whilst we are driving, The fridge then runs on the 12v power whilst we are driving, which keeps things cool, but the fridge does warm up, especially on a long run on a warm day

Should work almost as well on 12v
That might well be the case but they are not using diesel engines...

JJ :cool:
They are or were diesel it's the modern common rail diesel's used in cars that can't be converted.

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots of supermarket have self service fuel and gas pumps. You pay when you drive out. Usually only one person there to take your money, can't see him/her getting out of their cash desk to see where you're putting the pump.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Hence, we, as have many others, gone with the dual option.

One 11kg refillable gas cylinder (GasLow at £5 to refill)
One 11 kg replaceable gas cylinder (Calor at £27 to exchange)

The only base that does not cover is the replaceable cylinders in France, Italy, Spain are not compatible with each other, or with the UK ones. So if there was no other option I would need to buy a pigtail for that country, and a local gas cylinder.
However I'd hope that before I needed to do that I could find somewhere to refill the GasLow, such as a fuel station late at night.
I recently paid £31 for a 5 kg refill of Gaslite at Homebase for home bbqs !! Daylight robbery. But have an 11kg Gaslow for our main mh supply.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
To me it’s just another reason not to visit France…….currently I’m at 175 reasons 👌
I suspect Chris has even more than that 😏

We have Gaslow refillable bottles in a locker but have installed a side refill port in the skirt of the motor home to make it look as if we’re filling a tank.
As a previous poster wrote, refilling for domestic use is not allowed in Spain or Italy but we’ve driven to Greece and back a few times in the last few years, plus several trips to Spain, and have only once been refused - in Greece on the way to the ferry as the Italians are quite strict about it, often their tanks are housed in a locked cage. So we just drove to the next fuel station and filled up there.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Lots of supermarket have self service fuel and gas pumps. You pay when you drive out. Usually only one person there to take your money, can't see him/her getting out of their cash desk to see where you're putting the pump.

Unfortunately, at least in this area, its' not the case. I have an exterior filling point but have resorted to sticking the 'Certificat de Conformite CE/R67' inside the Gas Locker Door, one glance and they turn the power to the pump on.

Robert

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The fridge then runs on the 12v power whilst we are driving, The fridge then runs on the 12v power whilst we are driving, which keeps things cool, but the fridge does warm up, especially on a long run on a warm day

Should work almost as well on 12v

They are or were diesel it's the modern common rail diesel's used in cars that can't be converted.
It's possible to run a Diesel on a mix of LPG & Diesel fuel. The Diesel fuel has to be there as a source of timed ignition. Conversion to full LPG is however possible but requires a lowered CR and a spark ignition system whereupon the engine ceases to be a Diesel engine.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
like the certificate solution can you please send a photo/image so we could make a copy for our van, to be ready when we can again visit mainland Europe.

Will do but 'Bertie' is currently on his 'Sunny Side', currently 31Deg C here. Do you have 'yellow tanks', if not re - spray them. Yellow is the colour to be be seen with and the Magic Word R67. Of course, should you have bought the less expensive option, non R67 you are in trouble.

Don't try faking a R67 cylinder, otherwise you will be in deep poo!

My .'Certifciat de Certificate Conformitie CE/R67' was supplied with the orignial GASLOW components and validated by the instatller who has to have the necessary qualifications to be able to so. I'm talking France here, not the UK. Bertie is also French registered LHD with a local/ Department 16 plate? but it still doesn't stop me from being 'Checked - Out' prior to filling - up.

No doubt France is following the UK. Ok may route of trying to force"

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had our gasit cylinder for 7 years now with an in locker fill point and we're yet to be questioned by anyone in UK France and Spain

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I carry a Campingaz cylinder as a reserve - with regulator and tube - Campingaz - expensive but available all over Europe (y)
Can you connect Campinggaz cylinders to the Motorhome gas system? You use the current regulator or need a specific type?

Aug 14, 2021
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Merc Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Just been reading Le Monde du camping car, and if my French is correct (no guarantee) Total have banned the refilling of LPG tanks and cylinders unless the gas is used to run the engine, at all their filling stations. You can't fill if the gas is for domestic use.

https://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/...s-interdits-de-plein-de-gpl-chez-total/198617

Could be bit of a pain when we can get back to France especially if other suppliers follow.
"Two readers of Le Monde du Camping-Car deplore that they can no longer fill their motorhome with LPG at Total stations. The network effectively refuses to fill bottles for "domestic" use, and therefore only accepts vehicles that "run" on LPG."
Already, in October 2020, it was a reader who alerted us. A Total station had denied him access to LPG. The problem was not the type of vehicle (the motorhome) but its use of liquefied gas. We actually contacted the Total group. Instructions have been given to the pump attendants not to allow LPG tanks to be filled except for “mobility” use. And not for domestic use (cooking, heating, etc.). On this subject, read our article Total stations prohibit LPG in motorhomes. The testimonies of Ms. Travelle and Mr. Bonavita confirm that this ban is applied, even if in some Total stations, they were allowed to refuel. And then Total is not the only network ...
I have been crisscrossing France for fifteen years in a motorhome up and down. I've been banned from refueling with LPG twice now, despite my approved installation. This in two Total stations. They replied that they were applying the brand's guidelines (Total Access Stations in Mont-de-Marsan and Nîmes). In Nîmes, there is another (same sign) route d 'Alès and there I had no difficulty, the manager having confirmed to me that all motorhomes could refuel. I would like to know if these stations which refuse us are within their rights or if they are against motorhomes.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Can you connect Campinggaz cylinders to the Motorhome gas system? You use the current regulator or need a specific type?

Just swap over the bottles (other ones are Calor) using the same connector and regulator fitted to the van (y)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Just swap over the bottles (other ones are Calor) using the same connector and regulator fitted to the van (y)

Sorry - just to be clear. Campinggaz will take a Calor gas connector?

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have an underslung tank, the fill point is close to the diesel filler. When abroad we always fill the lpg tank first. So far not had any problems, have had an attendant come over to the van in Limoges, I had just fill with lpg the went on to top up with diesel, he just looked shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I would like to know if these stations which refuse us are within their rights or if they are against motorhomes.
It is a retailer's 'Right' to determine who they do or do not supply. They are under no legal obligation to supply. Refusal can be challenged, say on the basis of racial discrimination, but I wouldn't want to argue in Court that motorhomers are a race.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We travel through Italy every year en route to Greece and have never been able to fill up with lpg there. Apparently They aren’t allowed to sell it for domestic use, just for propulsion and most if not all keep the pumps in locked cages. I think that rule is the same for all Eu countries but most filling stations in France, Spain, Greece etc have thus far turned a blind eye. It’s why we put an external filling point in the skirt of the van when we changed it to Gaslow from Calor when we bought it, to give the impression we’re filling a tank rather than bottles. We’ve never been refused in France or Spain and only once in Greece.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back