Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi there is a blanket ban on stopping in gib over night . you can sneak odd ones . europa point in my experiance is well moved on . some sneak by east beach . really its better to just visit and get out . remember gib is full of english that dont want to be english .spanish that dont want to be spanish . the gib folk .and moroccans . the nicest folk are the moroccans and they gert tret like s--t by all the rest.
there is a ferry from gib to morocco .tickets from taylors /turners travel in irish town .cant remember minds gone blank . ha ha .

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I wonder what the local bars, restaurants and shops feel about a sudden downturn in trade in the Winter months ! :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DogShowDiva

Free Member
Dec 28, 2013
Sotogrande
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis
Exp
Since 2004
Defo no overnight parking in Gib !!!! At 9pm they drive around the whole of Gib ( which does not take long) and any MH are told to leave...... there is a big car park right at the boarder which lots of people use, but just be careful.. not the nicest of areas to leave your prized possession for along time. Also ques getting out of Gib can be up to 4hrs..... I park and then walk over the border.....

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Why is it assumed that:
A) If you park at a real campsite you will NOT spend any money in the local shops / bars / restaurants.
B) That if you park on waste ground / beach / car park that you WILL spend money in local shops / bars / restaurants?
ALSO it is naive to say do what the Germans do and charge a few euros to park on a bit of ground. In our experience many will not pay that, Portimao Aire being a good example. Very cheap €2.50 well located and roomy. A place to dump and reasonable priced water. Not cheap enough for the freeloaders up the road. Some folk want to spend nothing. Jane

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We have just toured Portugal and a bit of Spain (to be continued) and whilst in PT, we stayed on the parking area near the marina in Portimao. You know the one, 2.50 euros per night, 2 euros for 110 litres of water. Not the prettiest place in the world, but, spacious, cheap, and free wifi at the red bus, which sells food and drink.
Yet, not a mile away, MHs are 'freecamping' in a small area beneath towering flats, beside the main road. We saw BBQs, and loungers set up on the footpath as we passed!
Speaking with some friends on this 2.50e camp ground, they mentioned that they met someone we both knew staying on this 'car park', and when i asked why don't they come down here, they said, "oh, they won't pay for camping".........:whatthe:
2.50e per night and they won't even pay for that! The mind boggles.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I wonder what the local bars, restaurants and shops feel about a sudden downturn in trade in the Winter months ! :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Do you think that "freeloaders" would use bars and restaurants often? They will have to use shops sometime in their trip if travelling for months, once their stocks brought from home have gone.

On the other hand, local authorities have to spend more money on such things as the more regular emptying of bins in car parks designed for the volume of rubbish day parking generates, and where do you suppose the black waste is disposed of?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Don't get me wrong, i love 'wildcamping', and have stayed in some awesome free places, but when it comes to sitting in a car park, below tall blocks of flats, at the side of a busy road, even i draw the line at that. Especially when i can camp perfectly safely for 2.5e just along the road. That's just over two pounds, and there is a discount for long stays as well!

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back