Torque and wheels and tyres... HELP (1 Viewer)

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I seem to be having a lot of problems with my, 'new to me' van. I am starting to think that either it or me is jinxed.

We are off to Spain in 3 weeks and as the tyres on our 2013 Dethleffs we're 7 years old we decided to get 5 new tyres. We opted for a slightly wider tyre going from 215/70 R15 CP to 225/70 R15.
Day before yesterday took van to local tyre fitter. The fitter asked me if I knew what the torque was for the wheel nuts. I said I didn't so he checked himself and fitted the tyres and said come back after 100 miles and we will check the torque again.
I asked him what the torque was that he used when fitting and he said 204nm.
I went on to drive the 100 miles required to get them checked again. But as whenever anyone touches my van they don't seem to do it right I checked myself online and the correct torque for a 15 inch wheel is 160nm for a steel wheel and may be less for an alloy wheel at maybe 140nm which is what we have.
I thought I must have misheard when he said 204nm, so when I went back to tyre fitters they confirmed that they did torque to 204nm.
I told them that they have overtightened my wheel nuts and the guy loosened the nuts and re torqued the nuts to 160nm.
I have been worrying about this as I have googled the problems overtightening the wheel nuts can do, which includes damaging the wheel nuts by stretching which will weaken the nuts, damaging the brakes etc and the wheels also.
Now as we will be driving a long way, then if the wheel nuts have been stretched or damaged in any way then they could snap and the wheels could fall off on the motorway.
I think the tyre fitters should have taken all the wheels off the vehicle and checked the wheels and the nuts and the brakes for damage. Instead they loosened them off and just air gunned them back on and retorqued to 160nm.

Should I be concerned. I am a worrier when it comes to safety and I want things to be safe and right.

What should I do.

I really appreciate all the help I get from fellow Funsters, so if you can help again I would appreciate it.
Lesley

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say that yes potentially you could damage the stud by stretching it and yes you could damage a wheel by over tightening, in this case the wrong torque figure was not massively over as everything mechanical has to have sone leeway in the design, so in conclusion I would just enjoy the trip and not worry.

But well done for keeping an eye on them(y) that's the tyres and the fitter.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
IMO you have nothing to worry about. In most critical circumstances torque levels are set to stretch the fastener a small amount to ensure maximum clamping force but not cause damage. Wheel nut or bolt torque is nowhere near that level (otherwise the nut or bolt would require regular replacement). So as long as the seating in the wheel that the fastener contacts appears to be OK (and I'd be surprised if it doesn't) I would not worry. If you need further reassurance why not call in at a tyre depot and ask them to loosen and re-torque paying particular attention to the the fasteners and their seats in the wheels? I suspect you won't be totally at ease until you've done so :D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back