Toroidal LPG tank and solenoid cut off! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
I'm not really sure that I have time for this but hay ho!
I think you are referring to single hole tanks that are fitted with multi valve assemblies when you talk of no fitted pipework and fully interchangeable valves(though I'm not fully sure that's the case either!).
Below are sections of all variations of the 4 hole variety of tank all showing the fitment of internal take off pipes. The orientation of these welded pipes determines what the function of the tank is. The take off valve is screwed into the outlet of these take off pipes.
First photo is Vapour Cylindrical tank
Second image is section Liquid Cylindrical tank
Third image is section Vapour Toroidal Tank
Forth image is section on Liquid tank.
Stako stamp the data plates of there tanks as to their duty and installation angle I believe.
To be able to change the function of these tanks correctly looks to me would require that you remove and invert (rotate through approx 180 degrees in this instance) the welded internal take off pipe. Though its not quite that simple as the outlet is above/ below the horizontal axis and therefore the pipe would need reforming and or adjusted in length to ensure that its at the optimum point within the cylinder for its duty of either vapour or liquid take off when you had finished! Not to big a task by any means if you know a half decent welder and are happy to fill with water and put 30barg squeeze on it! Alternatively you could rotate the whole tank through approx 180 degrees or what ever rotation would bring the take off pipe to that optimum position. Then you would need to think about adjusting the fill level valve float and level indicating float arm to accurately reflect their new positions ! Now that will be difficult but hay ho I think I'll just pay the extra hundred or so to have the manufacturer take care of it all! After all its not like there is a significant difference in cost between liquid and vapour tanks when new is there? In fact at Tinleys the vapour tank is £26 cheaper than the liquid tank (Toroidal 600 x 230 with valves and box etc!).
Before I order one how would you change a 4 hole toroidal liquid into a 4 hole toroidal vapour tank please?

inside_a_gas_it_tank.jpg
Liquid cylinder tank.PNG
Vapour t tank.PNG
Liquid T tank.PNG

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think you are referring to single hole tanks that are fitted with multi valve assemblies when you talk of no fitted pipework and fully interchangeable valves(though I'm not fully sure that's the case either!).
Below are sections of all variations of the 4 hole variety of tank all showing the fitment of internal take off pipes. The orientation of these welded pipes determines what the function of the tank is. The take off valve is screwed into the outlet of these take off pipes.
And I think you are correct. My experience is of installing a fully fitted-out 4 hole liquid tank, assembling and installing a single hole liquid tank, and installing two different single-hole vapour tanks. I assumed the 4 hole fittings panel was like the single hole fittings panel other than the separation between the elements fitted to the flange. My assumption was strengthened by being asked, when I was ordering the first single hole tank valve plate, whether I wanted liquid or vapour off-take. I also have in my possession a small tank, used in my second motorhome gas locker, that has both liquid and vapour off-take unions. I haven't ever used the liquid off-take on that particular tank. I can now see what you meant by rotating the tank - not something I would do or would suggest that anyone else does! Sorry for the part of your life you'll never get back :xsmile:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back