Topping up gearbox oil on a Fiat Ducato (3 Viewers)

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
Yes. The drain plug is an 8mm square key. The threads on plug and casing should be clean and plug refitted with thread lock sealant.

Fiat state 2.7 litres refill quantity for the gearbox, but I've been told that newer boxes are delivered with 2.9 litres refill specified on them. The Citroen Relay manual also states 2.9 litres refill for 6-speed boxes, and 2.7 litres for 5-speed.

Fiat fill them with Tutela Experya SAE 75W80 transmission oil, but following a chat to a dealer mechanic I've refilled mine with Tutela Matryx 75W85 which is a higher spec fully synth oil. It's much smoother and has lost the slight notchiness in the gear change that was previously sometimes apparent.

Citroen recommend Esso EZL 848 or Total Gear 8, both again 75W80 in the very same gearbox, so I would say the correct viscocity and quality matter more than the brand of oil. It's important to use a GL4 spec oil, not GL4+ or GL5.

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
My MH is presently in having the gearbox repaired at the dealers under warranty,when i get it back i was going to replace the oil with 'castrol syntrans',has anyone used this oil in a Ducato 6-speed ? When i worked at an Iveco dealer 15years ago we had problems with stiff gear changes when cold on 7.5t vehicles,this oil seemed to cure it.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thanks for your help again, night and day difference to the gear change! So much smoother, which I had done it sooner. The old oil looked tired after 5 years, with some very slight contamination in it I think also.

Mine did have a copper washer after all:
22 mm outer diameter
12 mm inner
1mm thick.
If I keep this van will schedule another change in a couple of years.
Should have been 15mm inner diameter :doh:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
My MH is presently in having the gearbox repaired at the dealers under warranty,when i get it back i was going to replace the oil with 'castrol syntrans',has anyone used this oil in a Ducato 6-speed ? When i worked at an Iveco dealer 15years ago we had problems with stiff gear changes when cold on 7.5t vehicles,this oil seemed to cure it.
Acid test for the new synth oil was 22°C yesterday, nice and smooth gear change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back