Top tips to prevent rattling (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
My motorhome isn't a boneshaker by any stretch, but as I'm driving along there is definitely some rattling going on.

I was wondering if anyone had any top top tips to silence the rattles.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Get your tyre pressures right helps a lot.
If you have michelins on email them giving the axle weights and they will give you their recommended pressures, I did this and was surprised by how much nicer the van is to drive.

Tip 2. heat proof silicone tubing on the oven tray edges stops rattles.

Tip 3. Get a roll of that anti slip matting and place pieces in between items like plates and pans.

You could always turn up the radio to drown out the noises :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We always use bubblewrap on long journeys. Five minutes to slip into 'rattlers' and five minutes to remove when we get there.

Usual suspects, oven shelves, pots/pans, plates, GRILL (drove us mad finding that one) and recently the front of the heater cover - though tightened that up.

Bubblewrap - the best thing since sliced bread and you can use it hundreds of times,,,,,,, almost anywhere.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Wow! There's some great tips there.

I'm going to get busy this next week and silence the van.

I know where to get bubble wrap (that's on the list now), but where do I get that heat resistant tubing stuff from?

And as for the volume knob - you're right - but every time it comes to a quiet track I have this percussion orchestra banging away in the back of the van :Smile:

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
non slip silicone mats

Non slip silicone mats by the roll from the pound shop are good, bit thicker than the dear stuff, but they work. good sized roll for a £1.:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
like any noise, you soon dont notice the rattles...they sort of blend into other noises.

Scallywag

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Tealby, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Rattles

We have found that you can narrow down your rattle sources by taking all your stuff out and seeing what rattles remain. Sources are then usually then down to blinds, free standing shelves in garage/storage space, those covers on your sink and hob, plus your table where it attaches to the slider on the wall.

That floppy rubbery stuff you put in the cupboards to stop the plates moving around will sort most of these - a little piece in the right place for transit. We have never been able to sort out blind rattles. If the table attachment is a problem, we find it rattles much less if you push it right back till the leg touches the pullman seat - for transit, assuming no belted passengers there - if you have passengers, you can remove table for travel, or get them to lean on it.

Whatever causes the problem, it is easier to find with all your kit out of the van. This is also a good time to visit the weighbridge and be horrified at how little legal payload is available.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I tend not to get too bothered with rattles, but they drive Bill round the bend when he's driving. I can only echo what some other funsters have said and that is use bubblewrap for the grill tray and the oven shelf.
With the glass cover on the hob and the sink, I use a folded tea towel under the glass and that does the trick. Just cushion the pots/lids etc with old tea towels and that should sort them out.

Just one last thing that drove Bill nuts was the rattling Truma fire, there is a thread on "rattling Truma anyone" on the CC website.........we weren't alone with that one it seems. Many others were "trumatised" by the rattles on their fires as well:Doh: We sorted that out by sliding some pieces of old cork tiles into the side of that. But it appears that this rattling is caused by the metal slats at the back of the fire being too long in all the Truma fires.
I buy bubblewrap by the 100 metre roll for my business, so it's always in plentiful supply:thumb:

Margaret

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I agree we always placed a towel under our Cooker lid to prevent rattle other than that just the rubber matting placed between the pans and that seems to cure any problems we have.

Just slightly off thread try not to place any heavy articles in the cupboard above, We learnt the hard way and had a pan lid fall out and damage our worksurface, Now that they are all placed safely in lower cupboards.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Like others have mentioned...lots of tea towels. Also use bubble wrap. For smaller items and gaps between, I purchased packs of dusters from the pound shop, ten for a err...pound. Also dishcloths from the pound shop, which I use to line the cutlery draw and wrap around the cutlery.

Lorraine x

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
I found high density foam about 15>20mm deep in bottom of cupboards and shelves is great for holding anything and stopping rattles and breakages . cut a hole in it to the size of item you want to hold. fits tight. cuts easy with a knife

glyn

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We are genius aren't we!

I throw the grill pan on the bed, and for everything else I use the non slip stuff, nowhere near as thick as bubble wrap but does the job superbly.

However I am on the look out for that there expanding polysterene criss cross stuff to put my glasses in :wine: cannot do plastic wine glasses!

can someone please shout out if they see any

ta muchly
xx

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our 'muggi" is a godsend.. We also use neoprene sleeves for any glasses or bottles to prevent them rattlin.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I use old socks (clean) for the valuable cargo and This draw-http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21551/The-Large-Drawer-Organiserdivider from Lakeland for the glasses. Then the non-slip matting stuff to silence the pans! A tea towel under the hob rack and that's about as much effort as I want to make.

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Empty hangers in the wardrobe can be silenced by use pipe lagging on the rail, just push the hangers onto it.

The worst rattle we ever had was in an RV and the blinds were the culprit. Cut up draught excluder and stick small bits between the blind and the window stopped them rattling.

Our oven door is one offender so we trap a bit of the none slip between the door and the casing to stop it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I REALLY hate rattles.. to the point I sold an almost new Smart Car a while back cos there was a rattle in one of the rear 1/4 panels that no one could trace ( Merc dealer took the damned thing apart piece by piece and could not find the cause even though they could hear it !! Gave me a good price on it agin another one ! :winky: )

But like others, we use that anti-slip mat stuff from the pound shop..
In fact we use it all over the place.. Can even leave all the tea making stuff sitting on it on the top of the work surface while travelling

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Im with bubble wrap, I hooked a small spring onto oven shelves keeps them from rattling:RollEyes:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I cured my oven shelves rattling by removing the bloody oven !!

never ever used the thing anyway.. and it has been replaced with a microwave

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
One way of curing them is to place them in a part of your van where you can't hear them. Usually if your van is only connected via a tow hook and electrics cable then you can't hear anything from it......

Must admit we were surprised at the rattle level in our camping car when we first got it compared to a tin tent. Got used to it now and although we do track down a remove obvious ones we do tend to just forget about them, turn the volume up and enjoy.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
My motorhome isn't a boneshaker by any stretch, but as I'm driving along there is definitely some rattling going on.

Supper glue every thing down ( too extreme I hear you say)
Ok blue tack
Elastic bands
Velcro
And if they fail

Supper glue :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
We always use bubblewrap on long journeys. Five minutes to slip into 'rattlers' and five minutes to remove when we get there.

Usual suspects, oven shelves, pots/pans, plates, GRILL (drove us mad finding that one) and recently the front of the heater cover - though tightened that up.

Bubblewrap -[HI] the best thing since sliced bread[/HI] and you can use it hundreds of times,,,,,,, almost anywhere.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

We still use sliced bread. works a treat.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs

Never hear the rattles as the wife"s always telling me what to do:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back