Top tips for newbies first trip!! (1 Viewer)

Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all,

We are having our first trip out in our new (to us) 2005 Autocruise Starburst 2. Do you have any tips or warnings to help our first trip go smoothly?

I am a bit daunted but am slowly picking up bits n pieces from viewing this helpful and entertaining forum!! Thanks in advance.

Richard

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to the Fun...

If you use them... don't forget your Jim Jams and... if like me you use them but forget them... then don't leap out of bed with the curtains open... (unless the stable door is half closed)

Have a great trip... and don't worry... you are bound to forget something.. we always do...

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi :welcomefunster:,

Just make sure you put a couple of bottles of wine on board & then pack the rest of the van with beer and more wine:wine::beer:

After that just relax and enjoy yourselves:thumb:

Oh yes.....looking at the weather forcast you may need :rain::rain:

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, On my first outing many years ago I made a couple of lists, i.e. what to do before starting off ,what to do on arrival at site, like filling van with water before setting up, what to do before leaving site, like stow everything safely away check under van ,turn gas off etc, After a couple of trips these things become second nature,also take a notepad to write down items that you should have taken and really needed. Happy camping:Cool:, have a safe trip . If you are ever thinking of coming to the Isle of Wight send me a PM and I can give some tips. Terry:thumb:

Upvote 0

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
tin opener....evan if you think theres one in already...cos motorhomes get canibilised anything the house needs gets taken out m/h an not replaced:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You definitely need one of these
engraved-waiters-corkscrew-50-p[ekm]128x128[ekm].jpg
And if you buy Link Removedyou'll never forget anything ever again::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I think the main thing to remember is to simply enjoy yourselves:thumb::thumb:

On our first trip we started making a list ofn the things we had forgotten within 1 mile of setting off:Eeek:
By the time we arrived at our destination the list was huge and we were laughing a lot...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We still forget things and we still laugh about it....

Welcome to FUN:winky:

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
spare wheel

Check your spare wheel and tyre pressures. where are you going???Caravan Club site or something similar:thumb:

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
spend the night before you go away in the van on the drive that will help you remember things

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
spend the night before you go away in the van on the drive that will help you remember things

We did on night on site to get the feel of it Plugging in the electric, cooking on gas, making the bed, storing gear etc that sort of thing Its a huge learning curve. Sadly we realised very soon that we had bought the wrong sized van. It was too small for our needs An expensive mistake!:Doh:

Upvote 0

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
its not the van thats too small ....

its the size of that cat your swinging:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
welcome. A wtering can is handy. When you get there, empty of water to keep the weight down, and excitedly get set up on your pitch and then realise you didn't fill up it will come in handy. Of course I never did this I heard about someone who's cousinns uncles brothers friend did this, or was it gas?

Most important thing to take and to bring here is a sense of humour and you will have a great time.:ROFLMAO::Smile::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Bottle opener for the men and fluffy bedsocks for the ladies:thumb:
We forgot salt for the spuds:Blush:

Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself, there's always a story to tell about your first trip away:RollEyes:

Margaret

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you

All,

Many thanks for your warm welcome and helpful tips. We are off to Lincoln Farm Park in Oxfordshire for our first trip. It's not too far away as we live near the M25 at Chorleywood in Hertfordshire. It's clear from the weather forecast that I won't have to pack any suntan lotion.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks once again and have a great bank holiday weekend!

Richard

Upvote 0

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Protect your awning because if you don't you will lose it, and on sunny or rainy days it is a must.

Get some heavy duty (thick steel) tent type pegs and a couple of ratchet straps to anchor your awning down.
If it becomes windy wind it in because they quickly become a sail.
When rolling out try to slant it a little to allow rain to run off because water is very heavy, and will soon break the awning if it can't run off.

If traveling to France, buy a polarity tester, and have two of these connectors for your shoreline
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:16A-plug.jpg
because many French sites have have reversed polarity. You use one for normal polarity, and the other for reversed, but obvously you would have wired it up in reverse and marked it. If you use a normal polarity plug on a site with reverse polarity you will find things are still live even if you switch them of e.g. lights and I have heard that someone had a live chassis because of this issue.

make up a bodge kit for those little accidents:
Duct tape
Various size cable ties
Roll of Eternabond
Tube of silicon

Buy lots of food containers (tupperware type) to store food in the fridge to avoid them moving around in the fridge.

Upvote 0

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Cable ties
gaffe tape
No more nails
Matches
Torch
Phone charger
Zantac
As long as you have access to cash you can get anything fairly quickly.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Spooky! I posted a very similar plea for our first trip - in our 2006 Autocruise Starburst. With three trips under our belt we're now obvioulsy seasoned 'homers [ahem] and have had no regrets whatsoever about buying the Starburst. FWIW the tip I'd pass on is to have a checklist for setting off. I've done one on a sheet of A4, double sided, with external checks one side, internal the other, then laminated and kept in the van. Perhaps one day I'll get so blase about it that I'll not need it, but at the moment it's a real boon to have everything written down.

Oh, and a notebook or something to jot down the things you're without and find you need is also handy as you WILL forget otherwise!

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Starting off posh?

Very nice site apparently - prizewinning. That should let you ease into it nicely.

Upvote 0

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
After all of the wine,my suggestion would be insulated caffetiere mugs (available from amazon) for that first cup of coffee in the morning.I know we make compromises when camping but instant coffee is a step too far. These mugs make real as easy as instant.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back