Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Hi All 👋

Hoping this might be a starter to some top-tips; I had a quick search but what I found was a bit buried.

We are off to Lyndon Top on the 11th of June for a couple of nights. We will do a bit of walking/cycling and maybe head into Oakham too. Whilst the adventure is getting there and discovering things for ourselves, as we will not have a great deal of time, I'm looking for some tips please:
  • Has anyone been to 10 Dinning Street Indian restaurant in Oakham, what's it like?
  • Any other recommendations on a meal out one night within walking/cycling distance?
  • We may end up coming back from Oakham late/twilight, what's the roads/bike ride like to and from Oakham?
  • I understand there are a number of fields at Lyndon Top and it's a free-for-all, so where is the best field/place to pitch an 8m Motorhome?
Thanks very much
:thanks3:
Andy

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi All 👋

Hoping this might be a starter to some top-tips; I had a quick search but what I found was a bit buried.

We are off to Lyndon Top on the 11th of June for a couple of nights. We will do a bit of walking/cycling and maybe head into Oakham too. Whilst the adventure is getting there and discovering things for ourselves, as we will not have a great deal of time, I'm looking for some tips please:
  • Has anyone been to 10 Dinning Street Indian restaurant in Oakham, what's it like?
  • Any other recommendations on a meal out one night within walking/cycling distance?
  • We may end up coming back from Oakham late/twilight, what's the roads/bike ride like to and from Oakham?
  • I understand there are a number of fields at Lyndon Top and it's a free-for-all, so where is the best field/place to pitch an 8m Motorhome?
Thanks very much
:thanks3:
Andy
I would say that you could use any field but the lower one with the separate entrance is sloping towards the lake. We like that one best and put the van on ramps but we just have a 6.3m PVC.
We saw the larger MHs on a flat field over nearer the golf course. I cannot remember the field numbers.
353A15D8-EF92-4C08-8D19-ACEC61A6C57D.jpeg

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you walk a couple of hundred yards towards the top of the site and through the trees along the path you’ll get to the golf club, ok for food and drink, not far to stagger home either :eek: (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I certainly cycled into Oakham on a mixture of quiet country lanes and cycle paths closer to the town, without any problem. That was in the day time though, I can't imagine it would be very well lit come the evening. Mike

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Don't forget to visit the Nature Sanctuary and look at the birds. Excellent. Walk down from siye, not too far!

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
Horse and Jockey Manton , and there’s a pub in Edith Weston Wheatsheaf., both pretty good

Oakham , need care on the bike ,A6003 I think . I would suggest taking the cycle route to the A606 then I think there maybe a footpath/cycle path into Oakham .

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Thanks for all your tips, having just returned, I'll add mine.

The cycle around the reservoir was a delight. From Lyndon Top, down the lane to the visitor centre, then take the trail on the right. This takes you anti-clockwise which is the slightly easier route and you will end up at the Horse and Jockey after about 15miles.

If you can get into Oakham (there are taxis, but you need to book early) then 10 Dinning Street is excellent. I had the Railway Lamb, possibly the best curry I've ever had. Bring your own beer.

The Wheatsheaf is great pub and a five min walk to/from 10 Dinning Street.

Field 9 is the lower field, there is no barrier. It's has the best view but as said is on a bit if slope. Everyone who faces the water must do so end on. I saw a few who managed and a few with self leveling set to max. It is busy obviously, so get there Thursday and early and you should be ok.

We parked in area 7, just in front of a break in the trees, perfect with Milenco quatros.

There are no set times for arrival or departure which makes for a relaxing stay.

At the main gate there is a barrier for which you'll need a code to get in and out. Fresh water is on the corner of the barn as you go through the barrier and the bins are in this area too.

Fresh water taps and elsan are dotted around, worth a wander as I was prepared for a slog until I noticed an elsan tucked away in a corner.

No showers/toilets open at this time.

If I can recall anything else, I'll update.

20210611_184608.jpg

20210612_125222.jpg

20210611_211734.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I was one of the three sat on max reach E&P in the lower field😁👍

we also did a loop of the water, got a bit caught out by poorly signed diversion by the railway bridge works , but enjoyed an Ice cream at the visitor centre where the boat runs across from the church

great place for a relaxed stay , all the fields to the right of the entrance road allow parking more or less as you like, as long as 6m apart , we have had family groups there in previous years

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
I must give Lyndon Top a try , sometimes I forget about the places that for me are within a 30 min drive. In fact my last trip was to a CL again only 30 mins away C&MH site Castle Farm Cottage - just a field along side the River Neane . Really did feel as if I was a long way from home.

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I must give Lyndon Top a try , sometimes I forget about the places that for me are within a 30 min drive. In fact my last trip was to a CL again only 30 mins away C&MH site Castle Farm Cottage - just a field along side the River Neane . Really did feel as if I was a long way from home.
Similar here, we stopped at Ashridge Farm in Ashwell on the way back; literally 20mins from our storage and another 20 mins home (y)

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Lyndon Top is a lovely site but even outside of Covid the shared facilities are only for tent users (of which there are currently none due to Covid). I mean, that's fair enough, we have self contained vehicles after all but I prefer using the facilities at the site rather than the van's shower. Currently all the shared facilities are locked up, but don't look all that nice anyway. A couple of portable trailers.

1623930732907.png

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We have been going there for years now, to break the long drives.We stopped a couple of month ago and found it unattended now, so I rang Richard at Cumbria and he was extremely short with me about not prebooking and paying £15 on line. I said I was not aware of having to do so . He retorted do you know there is a pandemic on , and we ended up arguing about the booking on line when on the road without an itinerary. He got a strop so I left the site and he can stuff it from now on. He got the warden to ring me back and I said I will not be spoken to by his boss like that.
I now have somewhere els to stop off. Pity as it was always a relaxed place when Maddie And Arthur, were there and the Scotsman before that.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have been going there for years now, to break the long drives.We stopped a couple of month ago and found it unattended now, so I rang Richard at Cumbria and he was extremely short with me about not prebooking and paying £15 on line. I said I was not aware of having to do so . He retorted do you know there is a pandemic on , and we ended up arguing about the booking on line when on the road without an itinerary. He got a strop so I left the site and he can stuff it from now on. He got the warden to ring me back and I said I will not be spoken to by his boss like that.
I now have somewhere els to stop off. Pity as it was always a relaxed place when Maddie And Arthur, were there and the Scotsman before that.
I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face though. Most campsites are requiring pre-booking so that they can fulfill the government’s mandate to track and trace.
I think Lyndon Top changed to online booking well before the pandemic as I remember doing it.

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
20210716_152014.jpg

Supposed to park head on facing the Water so as not to block the view, so do that and then put up two wind breaks and look the other way is plain wrong. Hope they're not funsters... :(

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We've booked three nights in August after the Cropredy Festival, so this is an interesting thread..

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
View attachment 516847
Supposed to park head on facing the Water so as not to block the view, so do that and then put up two wind breaks and look the other way is plain wrong. Hope they're not funsters... :(
We're on the ths site here, and just wandered around, can't believe the people who park facing a hedge with no view, or bag a prime spot then put screen covers on, why?

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We're on the ths site here, and just wandered around, can't believe the people who park facing a hedge with no view, or bag a prime spot then put screen covers on, why?
We are also on the THS as well. The first time I've actually managed to stay here. £15 a night for 2 people extra £8 for each additional adult when booked direct With CCC THS £10.50 a night plus £2.50 extra adult and £3.50 temp membership. We've come with my Son as he wanted to bike around the water. Lots of DAs use Rutland Water.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Booking Lyndon Top online is extremely quick and easy.
The great thing is that with so much space it’s unlikely to ever be full so you could drive right to the entrance and book via your phone, wait a minute and you get an email with a code for the barrier.
Almost as easy as just turning up unplanned at a French aire, except it’s a bit more expensive now.
Also, no fuss about not arriving before a certain time or having to leave before silly o’clock.
Very laid back and a relaxing place for a few days.

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Lyndon Top is nothing to do with any of the club sites
There are no rules about pitching.
Except……….they do ask you not to pitch sideways on.
Pitch facing the view means that more people can enjoy those lovely views without some unthinking/uncaring pleb blocking the view for others.
Makes very good sense.

Richard.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't disagree it makes sense - but have never been asked, nor has pitching aspect ever been mentioned to me.

Rule only applies to the areas with sight of the water, to the right of the road in you can park how you please 👍

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
I prefer the fields to the right of the road, much quieter as a rule.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back