Top tips for best fuel economy? (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a few ramblings...

Speedometer speeds never seem to equate with GPS speeds.

That's right - the law says something like +10% -0%, the 0% is very important because the offence of speeding is absolute on any measurable speed in excess of the speed limit, so it makes sense for the makers to pitch the speed under.

Just about every one I've checked, sometimes using 2 GPSs at once you get 30 showing at about 27. 70 is usually indicated 76. GPSs never seem to disagree with one-another.

So all the do-gooders are holding us all up by sticking to indicated speed. Quite significantly on motorways.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
a few ramblings...

Speedometer speeds never seem to equate with GPS speeds. Is this because vehicle manufacturers want us to keep below speed limits, by giving a built in safety margin or do they want us to think our vehicle is quicker and more economic than it actually is?
Cruise control is supposed to increase mpg - any comment, pl?

Could be something to do with tyre circumference this will change as the tyre wears so your speedo has a safety margin.
Depends on your driving habits but it is possible to get better mpg without using cruise control but you have to work at it. ::bigsmile:riving2:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
we were short fuelled twice last year

Is your fuel meter that accurate?

I have a OE factory fitted one on my 6 month old Citroen Relay van which consistently shows about 10% more miles per gallon than it has actually done. So I certainly could not accuse anyone of short fuelling me on the evidence of my fuel meter.

But bearing that in mind, I have used it and been surprised just how much the fuel consumption increases with speed. (about 40 mpg at 40 mph, and 20mpg at 80mph!)
So much so that urban driving, even with stopping and starting in congested streets, tends to give much better mpg figures than motorway cruising.

I found that using the toll motorways in France and Spain instead of the slower toll free roads saves time, but it does not save fuel.

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Not yet taken mine to zero. So are you saying that I am getting even more MPG than my indicated average 44.3mpg. Giving me more than 800 miles to one tank full.:Cool:

I wonder what I could achieve if I turned the trip comp off and used your recommended driving method.:ROFLMAO:

Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed

You are obviously doing far better than even VW have done - so you are doing at least 10mpg more. It's either very efficient .....or not accurate.

I wouldn't recommend unplugging anything on a VW, that speedo head controls more than you think on them! One has just cost me £4600 in repairs so i know! lol!

I was only stating the facts to those wishing to add aftermarket units to save fuel - driving style would do better - I know as stated before that they use only 1kw. With diesel engines it only equates to one third of a litre per hour at constant revs without inclines, but people are asking advive on saving fuel! When most do around 20-25MPG, and take longer journeys, there are people who would like to save £50 over their holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know as stated before that they use only 1kw.

That's twice you've said that so not a typo -- I said ONE WATT.

That was a guess, could be ten, but no more. Totally insignificant.

All I'm trying to do is improve your image, you talk a lot of sense except when it comes to the power taken by tiny computers, so that drops your credibility a touch.

I've tried all I know to beat 25mpg and failed. I'm not at all sure that is at all bad for 3.5T and an abominable shape pushed through the air. The Luton is just about as bad as it could be when it comes to aerodynamics, they should try harder but realistically I think that means A Class or low profile.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
How to save fuel...

Find a nice rural spot (say in Central Portugal) where the friendly landowner lets you park up. Stay for ages and in this way the only fuel you use is the teeny weeny bit the strimmer uses as you clear the over grown brambles etc.

JJ :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Crikey !!
If you have any sort of gauge drawing a kW you should start flogging it as a heater !

I used to sell a digital gauge that did all manner of clever things inc fuel use, 0-60 times, braking distances, lap times.. it goes on and on !

Total power consumption .13 watts max ( it was fitted with a 100mA fuse )

Sooooooo.. that would mean what ? Come on Brian, let you do the sums :Smile:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
How to save fuel...

Find a nice rural spot (say in Central Portugal) where the friendly landowner lets you park up. Stay for ages and in this way the only fuel you use is the teeny weeny bit the strimmer uses as you clear the over grown brambles etc.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:Very god JJ:thumb: Mmm don't normaly carry a strimmer with me on hols:Cool:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few ramblings...

Speedometer speeds never seem to equate with GPS speeds. Is this because vehicle manufacturers want us to keep below speed limits, by giving a built in safety margin or do they want us to think our vehicle is quicker and more economic than it actually is?

Cruise control is supposed to increase mpg - any comment, pl?

So is engine re-mapping - again, any comment pl?

Economy economics are difficult. The chap who suggests changing tyres for winter and summer forgets that the tyres are limited by age, as much as anything, and it takes one hell of a mileage to recover a doubling of tyre cost.

One real bit of advice is to get a lighter right foot.

No, cruise control doesn't save fuel. Cruise control will keep the vehicle at the same speed uphill and down dale. Whereas the way to save fuel is to keep to the same rpm. This means letting the speed drop off when climbing.

Still, I do like cruise control, very relaxing on long dual carriageways.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
How to save fuel...

So, get yourself a house! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Knock the cruise off when climbing, or it will be chasing the set speed and in some circumstances screaming the engine to try to achieve that, and failing. Cruise is great on level(ish) roads, but, to climb steep gradients, its better to cancel it and use the throttle and gears more conservatively.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sorry you guys just couldnt resist :Doh: blame it on lack of fun over the weekend

find the right spot, park up and dont move :Blush: :Blush:

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
a few ramblings...

So is engine re-mapping - again, any comment pl?

I had engine remapped on 2.5Dci Renault Master, it increased economy by 20% as well as improving low end torque. I discovered this when I had my LR defender remapped and consistently got 33 mpg and then my RR 2.7 diesel which now gives 28.7 avge (as compared with 23.6 before). It costs £200 and is untraceable...and yes it actually reduces emissions too! (makes you wonder why all diesels are not mapped to perform this way?) Oh yes, only works on diesels made after 2001 (with an ECU connector).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back