Top Gear Best Road - Transfargarsan Highway (1 Viewer)

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We recently did the top gear best drive ...Transfargarsan highway. Lots of hairpin bends and stunning views but not a 'difficult' drive. No charges or tolls for the pass and at the end of the drive Dracula's castle. Highly recommend.

IMG_3192.JPG

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
That looks absolutely fabulous, love to try it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Looks great.

It looks a bit like my old Scalextric track

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'd quite like to try that one as well.

Not in a motorhome though. :whistle:

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@webby1 the tolls were a challenge in some but easy in others. Our motorhome is over 3.5 ton, so in the main we fall in to commerical category.
Romania very simple - you can buy at the border, €10 for 1 week or log on line. We purchased at the border and then when we decided to extend our stay we logged on-line and very simple and easy.
Bulgaria - purchased at the border €10. Once again very simple just huge, huge queues.
Hungary - complicated and restrictive. I think we arrived at a point when things are changing, which made it worse. As we were classed as a commerical vehicle we had to specify our route and timescales. As 'bumblers' we had no idea on our route, so it proved a challenge for us. We could not deviate from this, which added to the frustration. One person said this not necessary but everyone else disagreed. We phoned the call centre and the staff there seemed unsure too! Unfortunately our wifi connection was zero, so we could not check out or ask for guidance. Might be worth you checking out the exact rules for Hungary before you go.
Slovakia - didnt need one as we did not use the motorway.

The roads vary in quality, so make sure you have some good tunes to mute the squeaks and allow extra journey time, its a slow wobble at times but enormous fun with huge rewards.

If you want all the GPS positions of our overnight stays or anything else just let me know.

Another photo to keep you smiling...

IMG_3196.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3195.JPG
    IMG_3195.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 18

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
and at the end of the drive Dracula's castle. Highly recommend.

View attachment 127562

View from the fortress at Poenari (Vlad Tepes' fortress at Poenari, not Bram Stoker's inspiration at Bran), well worth the 1500 step climb!

upload_2016-10-25_15-39-58.png

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Did this amazing road on my motorbike last September, absolutely amazing. A good circular route is to do the Transalpina Highway one day and the Transfagarasan another. Road surfaces are good , Transalpina only black topped in 2012, and I would have no hesitation in doing this in my 7.5 mtr van. Bends are sweeping hairpins with good visibility to spot oncoming traffic.

At the top of each route their are opportunities to buy coffee and good cake, along with souvenirs and route stickers. Adequate parking along the route for photo opportunities.

Sorry I can't comment on camp sites as I used hotels. Restaurants are very good and cheap.

Did I enjoy it ? Yes - so much I'm doing it again this year but approaching from Bosnia rather than the North.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back