Top engine cover 3.0 ltr x250 (1 Viewer)

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Looking for help in sourcing the top engine cover (black plastic) for Fiat Ducato X250. Fiat UK saying there is no part for this, though I believe there is? At present my engineer says I should try and obtain a cover as there is a lot of water lying around injectors which could lead to problems in the future.

If anyone could give advice or where to obtain cover, I would be much obliged. As at present, I have been quoted as parts required from Fiat professional as: 1 sealing gasket, 1 bracket, 1 rigid pipe, 1 collar, 2 screws, 1 tin of paint (£35), 1 pin, sealer, sealing gasket, button and gasket - total cost: £222.55

Paint must have some gold leaf in it?

Any help, greatfully received. Perhaps trade member or someone who has done this modification.

Thanks,
John M

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Scrap yard is best bet :thumb:
Would agree if i could find one,does your engine have a cover? if so is it a complicated part to fit and do you think so many parts are reqd.I dont mind duying a new cover but seems a lot of parts.
Thanks JohnM.Ps i like what you have done to your camera.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Would agree if i could find one,does your engine have a cover? if so is it a complicated part to fit and do you think so many parts are reqd.I dont mind duying a new cover but seems a lot of parts.
Thanks JohnM.Ps i like what you have done to your camera.

I'll have a look next time out. All I know off hand is that the plastic cover has three ball sockets in the plastic and there are three corresponding steel balls on the head. The cover just pulls off upwards. I believe it was the subject of a product recall in the past.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Hi johnm try 24/7spares, they have fiat engine covers may be worth a check,

http://www.247spares.co.uk/browse/fiat_ducato-engines/?action=basket-add&partid=251

Go through this link, I've put fiat engine cover in basket for you, you just need to complete your vehicle details and submit enquiry to them.

Good hunting,
Lance
Thanks Wickolad i tryed them a few weeks ago,i have done as you said so will wait and see.Thanks,JohnM,

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
I'll have a look next time out. All I know off hand is that the plastic cover has three ball sockets in the plastic and there are three corresponding steel balls on the head. The cover just pulls off upwards. I believe it was the subject of a product recall in the past.
Thanks, dont mind buying the part if i can get it fitted but feel £222 a bit steep.
Thanks again for your help.JohnM

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks, dont mind buying the part if i can get it fitted but feel £222 a bit steep.
Thanks again for your help.JohnM

I'll whip it off and take some pictures in the morning whilst awaiting the boss to finish work so we can OFF to France :Cool:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I see FIAT 'customer care' is still true to form-don't give a toss!!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
this was the subject of a Fiat modification and i am almost certain it was a recal back in 2007.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
I'll whip it off and take some pictures in the morning whilst awaiting the boss to finish work so we can OFF to France :Cool:

Hi,Techno thanks for that, hope you have a good trip,we are booked on the tunnel 1st june will be away 8 weeks,so will keep my eye open for a rapido with a funster sticker.:ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
The cover in my opinion still needs modification as where it ends and the water runs off is shorter than the head so still fills the injector valley with water:Doh:

There was a modification which sealed the plastic scuttle panel to the bottom of the windscreen and also sealed the offending join in the middle.

So basically forget the plastic engine cover and seal the scuttle panel and bung all the holes in it except for the main drain.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have also done a mod on the windscreen scuttle to increase the diameter of the pipes / holes that take rainwater away from the extreme sides of the windscreen.

the first X250's had no drain holes, the next had drains fitted but are of such a small daimeter as to be useless.:Doh:

this is a medium term problem storing up as the drivers side wiper shaft sits in water and rusts, it will eventually allow water into the wiper arm bearing.:Doh:

if any one wants a pic of what ive done i'll post a few pics:thumb:

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
i have also done a mod on the windscreen scuttle to increase the diameter of the pipes / holes that take rainwater away from the extreme sides of the windscreen.

the first X250's had no drain holes, the next had drains fitted but are of such a small daimeter as to be useless.:Doh:

this is a medium term problem storing up as the drivers side wiper shaft sits in water and rusts, it will eventually allow water into the wiper arm bearing.:Doh:

if any one wants a pic of what ive done i'll post a few pics:thumb:

Thank's Phill that would be helpful,just spent £325+£100 fitting on a throttle valve damaged by water over the last 6yrs so anything that can disperse water would help.
JohnM.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
I would like to thank everyone who replied to my request for help, i contacted fiat camper assist today and logged a case about the water issue and should be contacted after the bank holiday.So watch this space.:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back