Top End Continental Vans (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Could someone please explain to me, why a lot of the Top End Continental Vans, such as N+B, Dethleffs, Pilote, Carthago, Knaus, Globebus, Frankia, etc, all have only one door at the front. Surely it can not be down to cost???
I am thinking purely on the Safety aspect, such as a collision, or a Fire. I would have thought two Doors would have been better than one in such an event, surely?? This has always occured to me, every time I see one of these Continental Vans.Does anybody have an answer, please? Many thanks. BillyS

Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Hi,

We have a 2003 Eura Mobil Integra 810HB which is an A Class and that has 3 doors, drivers, passengers and habitation and I personally think they have got it right, only one shortfall though can't get external thermal screens for it, just got to use the internal ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I can think of two reasons. Firstly, not having a driver's door improves structural rigidity across the front section near where it is joined to the front fairing - itself usually a single-piece moulding. Secondly, and this applies only to the very large 'liner' motorhomes, having a driver's door would require the construction of some form of stairway. Since there is unlikely to be much space inside next to the driver, this would probably have to be external (like a lorry cab) and would not be in keeping with a luxury passenger vehicle. It is a fair way down from the driver's seat of an A-class based on a MB Sprinter or Iveco Daily; on a larger chassis such as a MB Atego or MAN TGL one would need steps.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I can think of two reasons. Firstly, not having a driver's door improves structural rigidity across the front section near where it is joined to the front fairing - itself usually a single-piece moulding. Secondly, and this applies only to the very large 'liner' motorhomes, having a driver's door would require the construction of some form of stairway. Since there is unlikely to be much space inside next to the driver, this would probably have to be external (like a lorry cab) and would not be in keeping with a luxury passenger vehicle. It is a fair way down from the driver's seat of an A-class based on a MB Sprinter or Iveco Daily; on a larger chassis such as a MB Atego or MAN TGL one would need steps.

The one door at the front IS on the drivers side on a LHD?
I think the answer is that it's a lot cheaper to just move the controls over than to build the body differently for the very limited RHD market

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I think the answer is that it's a lot cheaper to just move the controls over than to build the body differently for the very limited RHD market
But, in line with your original question would not all LHD and RHD have two "cab" doors if the manufacturer changed their philosophy?:confused:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I know - the original question referred to 'Top-end Continental vans'. I did not even consider the UK market in my response. I was thinking about A-class vans, like mine which is a LHD Hymer B-class Star-Line.
Until comparatively recently, a UK-specified Hymer B-class still had a 'driver's door' on the left-hand side even though the steering position had been moved to the right. This was because the right hand side next to the British driver still contained the gas locker and to move that would have required major modifications. As you say, it was probably not worth the trouble for the British market. However, many larger A-class vans do not have a driver's door option and I believe that is for the reasons I gave in my first reply.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
But, in line with your original question would not all LHD and RHD have two "cab" doors if the manufacturer changed their philosophy?:confused:

On some it would require major alteration to the original design
Also I know some who's passenger almost always get in & out of the jab door even on coach built vans which have 2 can doors

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Also returning to the original question, some top-end motorhomes have quite complicated driving arrangements that would preclude the fitting of doors at the front. For example, some Concorde's have a floor in the driving area that is raised when parked so that it is at the same level as the rest of the internal floor, but lowers when the vehicle is ready to be driven.
The internal floor in some big 'liners' is a metre off the ground.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Weakens the structure, potential cold and draught spot, interferes with the fitting of radiators all round.

I don't see that they are required so why bother, I would say that as we only have the one door.

Martin

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
My Hymer is right hand drive, so I have a door on the passenger side and obviously the habitation door on the offside.
I was told that there was an option to also have a door on the drivers side but that would have been a costly option.
Stef.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I would agree with that.. very rarely see a USRV A class with a cab door.. if they do, it's as you say, they have in built steps down the side of the body..
My GeorgieBoy RV only had a habitation door and such is the height of the floor above ground level it had five steps.. three internal, two external..

but I really like the cab door on my Hymer.. not fussy whether left or right hand drive,.. but one of the reasons I didn't buy a right hand drive Hymer was having the cab door at the passenger side..

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have a Niesmann @ Bischoff - it doesn't have any doors up front - the only door is the hab door. I've never seen one with cab door/s. The hab door is not far from the driving position and its no problem getting in and out for either driver or passenger. There's a lot of storage either side of the up front seats which you wouldn't have if you had doors. In the event of a fire or accident the front sliding windows are easily big enough to climb out of.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We have a passenger door and a drivers door on ours and I really like that idea, so does the MOT guy saves getting in the Hab door and walking through to the front.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I always use the hab door, as the passage door is too high a step lol

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I use cab doors in my cb as hab door is 30" approx of ground & requires the double electric step to be put down. In fact I usually keep hab door locked from inside when travelling & basically only use it at home.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I have an extra door in my Laika. Wouldn't have specified it but it was a stock vehicle. My Rapido only had a door on the passengers side. Having no door on the drivers allows the builder lots of nooks and crannies for useful cupboards for bits and pieces.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Lots have no doors up front, so only one door to make secure, and as has been suggested already how the devil could you get up into some of the larger "A class" vans as you would need two steps inside to get up to floor level to drive, that would push the seats towards the centre of the van just to make room for the steps.

Martin

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
As well as what's already been pointed out, the double floor arrangment has a lot to do with it too. Our old Elegance had double floors and was fitted with drivers and passenger doors getting in and out was pretty bad as the step was too high. The structure suffered too as the walls used to rattle when the front doors were closed. Just having the Hab door as never been a problem for us and can't say I would want to go back to having them again.

Dill

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Our previous Burstner had only the hab door so no cab doors.
Can't say it unduly bothered us not too happy getting out in the UK with door opening on the traffic side
I found doing any jobs in the cab area (electrical specifically ) a tight squeeze and on one occasion it was easier to remove the drivers seat to give better access.
This van has a door on the passenger side (RHD) so fuel stops and being able to avoid any traffic issues as well as an escape option should the need arise i quite like it.If I had the option on a new van I would opt for it cost dependent of course.
D

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I find using the drivers door on our Rhd Hymer a bit of a pain especially when the passenger seat is occupied.
Soon to buy a new a class eurovan lhd/rhd will seriously enter the equation partly because of driver door location.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Imagine your motorhome catching fire.:eek:
Are you really going to try and scramble over the front seats, that are probably swivelled round, and try and open one of the front doors and fall out on the floor?
Our van ( as can be seen on the avatar) has two cab doors. The cab is the last place i would be running to in the event of a fire. Same if we had an A class.

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
AllanM,
I am purely thinking on the safety aspect, such as a collision side on, in the area of the Hab door, i.e somebody jumping the traffic lights, while you are halfway across, how would you get out then? This is purely a safety question. Such traffic accidents do happen. Also, it has been known for Motorhomes to catch fire while moving, as has been shown on several videos on UTube

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
My thoughts in general, would be, the more exits, the better, this applies as much to buildings as well. The more exits in an emergency of any kind, the more chance of survival.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Our Adria has only a passenger door and hab door. Several windows are clearly marked as escape routes though.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Imagine your motorhome catching fire.:eek:
Are you really going to try and scramble over the front seats, that are probably swivelled round, and try and open one of the front doors and fall out on the floor?
Our van ( as can be seen on the avatar) has two cab doors. The cab is the last place i would be running to in the event of a fire. Same if we had an A class.

Even if I dashed for the hab door without the step down you wouldn't want to fall out.:LOL:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
One door for us for 2 vans - 10 years.

It is an option on Arto's but rarely taken up.

Its caused a problem once - through somebody elses stupidity I might add. easily solved, and we could have got out of the large side windows if neccesary.

Warmer because the insulation and double glazing extends to a larger area of the cab.

More secure - obviously

looks better

structurally better

and it does feel a bit more special stepping up into a coach not jumping into a 'van'

Jon

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
AllanM,
I am purely thinking on the safety aspect, such as a collision side on, in the area of the Hab door, i.e somebody jumping the traffic lights, while you are halfway across, how would you get out then? This is purely a safety question. Such traffic accidents do happen. Also, it has been known for Motorhomes to catch fire while moving, as has been shown on several videos on UTube

The sliding glass side windows are absolutely huge - you'd get out through them easily.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back