Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
You can see a tiny picture of my Hymer Exsis 2004 on my profile. I took it for its MOT last Friday and my trusty mechanic said there was no point putting it through the test because the body work needed extensive welding and it was bound to fail. Two tyres also needed to be replaced and his advice was to put the camper in the bin.

I have had it for over ten years and added 138,000 miles on top of the 20k it had when I bought it. With a heavy heart I decided it had to go on ebay. My expectation of an ultimate bid was very low ... best that I don't say just how low. Yes, I was tempted to put in a reserve or a buy it now but somehow I resisted. I put no reserve and let the auction run.

Much to my surprise the bids appeared immediately ... under 500 quid, yes, but there was interest. Then the messages started. Nobody seemed to care about the miles, or the imminent end of the MOT or the big welding job. I was offered £6,000 cash. I made contact and accepted. The messages continued and I was offered £6,500 by another potential buyer.

I'll be honest, I was suspicious, I thought I was out of my depth. I told Mr 6.5k that I had given my word to the 6k man and that I would let him know if the deal did not go through.

Meanwhile the bidding got past £8,000 and I wondered just how this could all be possible. Well, Mr £6k turned up, did the deal, paid me cash and we were sorted. I took my camper down from ebay and went to deposit the bank notes. I had a nervous twitch that told me the banknote rapid counting machine would go ping, ping, ping and the notes would be dud.

It didn't happen, all good. So, the lesson, if there is one ... don't put a buy it now, don't have a reserve and let it run. Also be totally honest in the listing. You just might get the same surprise as I did.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I did something similar with my last moho. It was old and damp but it was on a solid VW T4 base. I advertised it on here with an honest description and got £5000 for it :)

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Excellent! Somebody handy with a welding torch and contacts in the motor trade will have that back on the road in no time. I’ve disposed of a few family cars on eBay over the years. All beyond economical repair in insurance company terms, but each and every time no shortage of people wanting to buy. One was an otherwise very tidy Fiesta that my daughter had front end shunted. A bit bent but just panel damage. A couple of blokes turned up, used a rope tied between the fiesta and a tree in the street to pull it all out and drove it off! I agree, being honest in your listing is absolutely the way to do it, otherwise you’ll just get a load of hassle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mk1 Exsis are highly sort after I would have through even with extensive welding needed it was too cheap someone got a bargain.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Those usually sell for £20k+ at that age.
Are you sure it was not economical to repair ?
Rust to bodywork is not normally significant, do you mean rust to chassis ?
Did you get a second opinion.
I think the buyer got a bargain.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Unless you are handy with the welding gear, and experience of panel beating. These jobs in a Commercial setting will rapidly become a black hole down which to pour money. Good tradesmen charge their time at rates designed to support a family, a business and the taxman. I am doing a long term refurb; of a Classic Car. Give it to the "trade" it would be an extremely expensive job. I am 3 years and counting, doing virtually everything. Cutting and forming sheet steel, welding in panels, Rebuilding Brakes, engine, gearbox axles etc; I will even do the body prep into primer. At that point it will go to a pro; for the final paint. which I anticipate will not be cheap!. IF you can OK. If you cannot, it`s probably worth cutting your losses

Ruby Exsis

Free Member
Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis SG - Red
Exp
Since 2002
Bernard, I am sorry to say that you would appear to have been a bit rash.
It's a pity that you were not aware of our website dedicated to the original Exsis www.exsisowners.com
Information and for sale threads on the website would concur with comments above that these models are indeed sought after and regularly sell well in excess of £20k (often 25k for good ones)
Recently someone just spent £2500 on extensive rust work and sealing....
So there is plenty of scope for the new owner to spend quite a bit and enjoy a real bargain or too sell it on and make a small fortune.
I hope that the lovely little van gave you great pleasure and practical enjoyment in your ten years of ownership - so many of us owners have kept our vans either from new or long term as you did.
Regards, Fred

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back