Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Hoping for a window of mild weather to get my solar panel Sikaflex bonded onto the roof. At present there appears no 24 hour period where the local forecast is saying over 5 degrees with any certainty.
Any ideas on how important the 5' plus requirement is or how to get around it? (I don't have access to anywhere undercover big enough to do it in.)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you could try warming both area and panel with a hot air gun - I do it that way if it wet/damp dry off with rag or paper towel the hot air gun or big blow torch :Smile:
terry

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hoping for a window of mild weather to get my solar panel Sikaflex bonded onto the roof. At present there appears no 24 hour period where the local forecast is saying over 5 degrees with any certainty.
Any ideas on how important the 5' plus requirement is or how to get around it? (I don't have access to anywhere undercover big enough to do it in.)

cheep pop up tent with ground sheet cut out on top of van and hot air heater good luck :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

You may find that day temperatures could exceed the forecasted ones as all weather forecasts qoute shade temperatures.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
too cold

It is too cold. You also need to ensure that your not bonding on to frost/ice. Try and leave it a few days as the temp is due to rise.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Use a product that is not so temperature sensitive

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Dont forget to use the Sikaflex primer.

If you cant get hold of any i would as a minimum clean both surfaces with solvent cleaner :thumb:

I fitted mine when temperatures were lower than recommender. I think as long as you fit above +3 degrees and not in frosty conditions you will be ok.

Protect from frost overnight with an old quilt or curtains.

Good Luck.....Ralph

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You may find that day temperatures could exceed the forecasted ones as all weather forecasts qoute shade temperatures.

Well, I never knew that ... thanks for the info!:Cool:

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Thanks for all the tips so far....

Sikflex already purchased and ready to go and unfortunately finances restrict buying another product.
The idea to cover the area is possible as I'm guessing the best bond will take 24 hours.
Checked forecast temp today and was 7' max but never got over 2' even in the sun so there seems little to rely on.
I may dig out an old gazebo thing out of our garage, cover top of van, warm and clean area and once done, cover with the old trusty blanket to keep any frost of - then test it.

All this to try and get some energy if I ever get to a ski resort! Might just put another litre of petrol in the genny!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Personally I wouldn't risk it till the weather warms up. The possible downside is that the adhesive doesn't adhere properly then when you're trundling down the motorway at 60mph the panel comes off! You lose an expensive solar panel, risk damage to your motorhome and potentially cause a major road incident. Is it really worth that risk?

D.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Oh and don't forget to let your insurance know about the new panel.:winky:

I'll get me coat ..........

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Oh and don't forget to let your insurance know about the new panel.:winky:

I'll get me coat ..........

Never thought about that, never seen or heard anybody ask the question.

Where do you draw the line with what you tell them - I've put a ladder on the back, a cycle carrier and a roof rack, another LB, an Erbespacher heater and snow tyres - do I need to inform them of this sort of thing?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Anything you add that increases the value over what you stated it was worth when you first insured it

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Anything you add that increases the value over what you stated it was worth when you first insured it

My MH is 26 years old and only paid £1,650 for it so filling the tank with diesel adds 5% to it's value instantly. Where do you draw the line - I changed all the lights to SMD/LED's so that probably put it up by 3% or so on it - hard one to judge what to say but I take your point.

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
It was said somewhat tongue in cheek with regard to this thread Broken Link Removed

I see your angle now - just read that thread - a complex issue.

As my van is 26 years old I cannot be sure if certain parts are from the original conversion or have been added since - so not sure how an insurance company would know either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back