Too-Close Neighbours! (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2019
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
We’ve been on the road for 6 weeks and have travelled through Spain and Portugal, now in Central France. We’ve used free sites from Park4Night on all but a handful of nights and have stayed in some memorable (and a few forgettable!) places.
We’re now parked in woodland on the banks of the Loire, it’s 7pm and we’re waiting to meet the new neighbours. There’s easily room for another 10 or so motorhomes and we have a big space either side of us. We know though, that pound-to-a-penny, someone is going to park RIGHT next to us! We’ve had it in huge car parks, where we were the only m/h. Another has arrived and homed in on us so there are two of us parked next to each other in a bloody enormous car park! Why do people do this?? The other night we had a French family reverse to within a foot of us, so we were aligned in a bizarre L shape. The best was a German family who ignored numerous spaces where they could have been away from other vans, parked right next to us and got out chairs and tables so they were literally sitting under our open bathroom window. The wife didn’t dare go to the toilet!

I know sometimes it’s unavoidable to be up close and personal, but a genuine question (maybe some on here do it too)- why do people like to form campervan ‘clusters’ when there’s no need?

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Same as the Spaniards do on a deserted beach. Sorry dont know why.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Found just the opposite when I had the Yanky RV , no one came near , maybe they felt intimidated , or maybe they didn't want to be in the shadow :)

BossHog

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Fylde Coast
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Not just the euro contingent, had to ask these to move over last weekend as when they first parked up beside us we couldn't even open the window ! That's as much as they moved on a 40 acre plot.....
( we are on the right side)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 252

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Maybe we've all been brought up on too many cowboy and indian movies and know that at night you have to circle the wagons?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We’ve been on the road for 6 weeks and have travelled through Spain and Portugal, now in Central France. We’ve used free sites from Park4Night on all but a handful of nights and have stayed in some memorable (and a few forgettable!) places.
We’re now parked in woodland on the banks of the Loire, it’s 7pm and we’re waiting to meet the new neighbours. There’s easily room for another 10 or so motorhomes and we have a big space either side of us. We know though, that pound-to-a-penny, someone is going to park RIGHT next to us! We’ve had it in huge car parks, where we were the only m/h. Another has arrived and homed in on us so there are two of us parked next to each other in a bloody enormous car park! Why do people do this?? The other night we had a French family reverse to within a foot of us, so we were aligned in a bizarre L shape. The best was a German family who ignored numerous spaces where they could have been away from other vans, parked right next to us and got out chairs and tables so they were literally sitting under our open bathroom window. The wife didn’t dare go to the toilet!

I know sometimes it’s unavoidable to be up close and personal, but a genuine question (maybe some on here do it too)- why do people like to form campervan ‘clusters’ when there’s no need?

they are forming an orderly queue, leaving space for the next van and so on, invariably , if they park a van and a half width away from you , some foreigner in a little car will park in between.
been there seen that.
:Eeek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Wilding in very close company or the 6m rule in U.K. you takes your choice I guess :RollEyes:

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Most people are sheep and hate being alone. Happens in car parks too with cars, park your car in the middle of nowhere and sure enough there's that sound of a lamb in distress and a car magically appears in the space next to you :)
I guess the moral is to not unpack to much so you can apologise to the new arrival for being so close and move 'to give them their space'.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Just start your engine and leave it ticking over....
Cheers, Dave (y)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
This French Motorhome fell in love with us we moved so he moved next to us.??View attachment 318991
I think the white topped posts are markers for the river boat moorings, looks to be a mooring bollard to the left of you also. don't be surprised if in the morning you wake up with a riverboat as a neighbour tied up in front of you.
:rofl::rofl:

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
What you need is a couple of kids bikes leaving out on the floor (dumped) and a football.
It's enough for any right minded owner to take one look and think bugger that, we'll park over there Edna!

I know, because no bugger wants to be near us and I understand why!

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Can't win really, there's a post about Aire etiquette complaining about taking up too much room er "pitches" (no pitches on Aires BTW) and leaving too much front and rear space, and now a post about people parking too close.

Come on folks, whats it to be? Lets duel it out...

Pegs at 40 paces I think!

(Get a SOG fitted, NO one will park within 50 feet of you!)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Before kids were on mrs Gavlad's mind, we once stayed at a site in Isigny Sur Mer.
We pitched our old VW camper van near the lake and set out our stall/awning etc and was sat enjoying a nice cold drink when two mini vans pulled up. A woman and 5 or 6 kids in each one.
they were staying on the next pitch. What a nightmare. Running across our pitch, playing ball against my van, shouting, arguing, tears - all while the two mums sat and got pissed.
Fortunately, we were off each day sight seeing and only had to tolerate it on an evening.
The final straw for the Mrs was when she went to the loo in the dark and one of the kids had smeared sh!t* over the taps. She wasn't best pleased. :LOL::LOL:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The best was a German family who ignored numerous spaces where they could have been away from other vans, parked right next to us and got out chairs and tables so they were literally sitting under our open bathroom window. The wife didn’t dare go to the toilet!

Just open the sog and that should do the trick :):)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I can’t stand it when someone parks too close when there’s absolutely no reason to. We move.

I haven’t been able to find out why the French, in particular, find it necessary to do it... has anyone found the answer!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I think the white topped posts are markers for the river boat moorings, looks to be a mooring bollard to the left of you also. don't be surprised if in the morning you wake up with a riverboat as a neighbour tied up in front of you.
:rofl::rofl:
The posts are to mark the separate pitches at La Mailleraye. The mooring bolards are not now used as there is a shelf beside the wall which is hidden by the water at high tide. They are left from the days when it was a busy quay for transporting timber.

One would usually park with your LHS close to the ‘peg’ so you have room to open your door, put your awning and chairs out on the RHS. That, of course, is assuming a continental van. The nearest van in the photo is a Brit van with the door on the ‘wrong’ side.

Before anyone says that one shouldn’t have awnings and chairs out on an aire just remember we are talking about France. Rules? What rules? :D

Richard

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
why do people like to form campervan ‘clusters’ when there’s no need?

I just don't get it, but you should do as I (or "we" when JJ is with me) always do: vroom vroom , start engine, leave and go on the other side and when you can, choose a place with a kerb on one side , it divides the problem by 2! Try to have your habitation door on the kerb/edge side.
Why oh why do you stay when it's damn easy to go away. As your pic shows, plenty of room. Mind you I'm French....revolution is in my blood;):france::france::france::france:

Apr 30, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
A/S Clubman
See above they love us,but not enough for door to door (my previous van)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is a funny but effective solution, walk up to the woman or man next door and give them a passionate kiss. then withdraw to your motorhome and watch the marital disagreement start

works best when its a man kissing a man, really freaks them out

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I hate that! that is my pet hate of all time!!! Someone moving in too close, standing too close to me!!

I found "orientals" South East Asians, Japanese in particular, they crowd around you, waiting for the walk light for instance to cross the road, shoulder to shoulder, front to back, awe man! I felt like swatting them like flies.
I picked up a new ship in Kobe, and just walking to the nearest bar was a big problem for me, but! when in Rome! I soon realised I just had to adjust.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I hate that! that is my pet hate of all time!!! Someone moving in too close, standing too close to me!!

I found "orientals" South East Asians, Japanese in particular, they crowd around you, waiting for the walk light for instance to cross the road, shoulder to shoulder, front to back, awe man! I felt like swatting them like flies.
I picked up a new ship in Kobe, and just walking to the nearest bar was a big problem for me, but! when in Rome! I soon realised I just had to adjust.
the crowding effect is a commonly applied technique for pickpocket gangs, and perverts getting a grope.... be aware

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back