Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
See he has signed up for a year of extreme Enduro for 2017.. that will be very interesting.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I was involved in trials riding for a few years and watched him ride live in Switzerland at a "trial de nations" in Moutier.

Stunning level of skill - it is unbelievable what he can do on a motorcycle. :xThumb:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
IMG_0777.JPG
Watched him and a few others in Andorra last July at a round of the Worlds,this guy was there as well. :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
These lads make it look so easy and I can tell you its so far from it I did trials for a while great sport. I was lucky I had Dave Fry and James fry show me a good few tips James is a great rider and engaged to Emma Bristow Ladies world trials champion.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Its great fun whatever your skill level. 8 guys at work all bought bikes one winter and kept badgering me to have a go , which i did, and while its a great craic , it didnt give me enough of a buzz to invest, until one of the lads got DVT and had to pack it in, and i got his 315 Montesa for buttons, i practiced loads, and went from shocking, to poor, and finally got to rubbish, with the help of some good local Expert lads . A few of the guys had some days out with Dougie Lampkin through a sponsorship tie up, he may have driven one of our rally cars too, great bloke, but they all make it look too easy.

Someone made me an offer for the bike an hour after i ordered 3 sets of wheels for my MX bikes, so i took it, probably the only bike i ever made money on.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
When was this ?

Late 70s early 80s

Heres one from much earlier mid to early 70s I reckon, an old Montesa, used to snap the pin that held the flywheel on regular as clockwork total crap worst bike I ever owned.
Note; no helmet wellies and a rugby shirt, all the best kit eh!!!

View media item 14107

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
That Beamish Suzuki would be worth a bob or three now

Probably not as much as you think. Guy locally has a pair in mint condition a 250 & a 350 he reckons about £3000.00 each having said that they cost under a £1000.00 when new.:)

Great bike in the day I loved it a 250 with the Reynolds tubing frame, won more trophies on that bike than all my others put together it just suited me perfectly.:)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Probably not as much as you think. Guy locally has a pair in mint condition a 250 & a 350 he reckons about £3000.00 each having said that they cost under a £1000.00 when new.:)

Great bike in the day I loved it a 250 with the Reynolds tubing frame, won more trophies on that bike than all my others put together it just suited me perfectly.:)

There was a time when you could have bought them buttons. £3k is a decent return, they wont be worth any less any time soon.

I was looking at an 81 RM125 a few weeks back, £3200. Paid £1035 for it in 1981. That said, the house i am in now was £18,000 back in 1981, so one bike was 1/18th the cost of a house... now i can get a YZ250 for £7k , i reckon thats about 1/40 of the house value now.

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
No I did not. But I know what you have been doing this Xmas.
You have been reminiscing with your grand daughter showing her how good granddad USE to be on a bike with your old photos.:xrofl:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Nostalgia isnt what it used to be... my son wanted an old bike to do up ...
farleigh.jpg

Having only ridden it for 10 mins before we got to the biggest race of the year.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Nostalgia isnt what it used to be... my son wanted an old bike to do up ... View attachment 139695

Having only ridden it for 10 mins before we got to the biggest race of the year.
Whats your beef ????????
You slagged off my picture of Dougie Lampkin wearing what you consider inferior clothing,then you talk of nostalgia.I only started riding a motorbike in 1999 so it's not nostalgia,my mate offered me a shot of his old trials bike and that's it. You stated Dougie came to your club,maybe you weren't there that day and that's why you didn't recognise him in my picture.i believe that this forum is called Fun,i don't come on here to get derided,maybe you should go and find another forum more to your liking.Something like Facts.:xangry:
After that stage my friend and i chatted to Dougie as my friend knows him well,having being a rider himself.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
This is my last bike Beta Evo Factory 300, after 25 years of riding mostly on the expert route the bikes keep getting better.
Have seen most of the top riders and a fair few are up themselves, Dougie and Steve Saunders are the best mannered riders that I have seen.
Would have been interesting to be able to compare the older riders with Bou on the same old bikes wonder how they would compare?

IMG_0230.JPG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Whats your beef ????????
You slagged off my picture of Dougie Lampkin wearing what you consider inferior clothing,then you talk of nostalgia.I only started riding in 1999 so it's not nostalgia,my mate offered me a shot of his old trials bike and that's it. You stated Dougie came to your club,maybe you weren't there that day and that's why you didn't recognise him in my picture.i believe that this forum is called Fun,i don't come on here to get derided,maybe you should go and find another forum more to your liking.Something like Facts.:xangry:
After that stage my friend and i chatted to Dougie as my friend knows him well,having being a rider himself.

I passed comment on his kit. its not the best, my opinion. Why do you assume i didnt recognise him? Maybe if we weren't in a thread specifically about trials, it would have been an easy assumption, but seeing as we are , i didnt think i needed to say 'oh look its Dougie Lampkin'

Nostalgia not what it used to be, old one liner that anyone reading it for what it was, would get immediately.

As for your picture, i hadnt even seen it till after i posted mine , which was in response to Edgy's post . Took me 10 minutes to find the pic i was looking for.

Someone needs to chill out...

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
This is my last bike Beta Evo Factory 300, after 25 years of riding mostly on the expert route the bikes keep getting better.
Have seen most of the top riders and a fair few are up themselves, Dougie and Steve Saunders are the best mannered riders that I have seen.
Would have been interesting to be able to compare the older riders with Bou on the same old bikes wonder how they would compare?

Best will always be the best, good bikes make us better , but make the best better still.

Riding for 42 years, and still look a novice on a trails bike, was happy enough on yellow route , not dropping more than 100.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Best will always be the best, good bikes make us better , but make the best better still.

Riding for 42 years, and still look a novice on a trails bike, was happy enough on yellow route , not dropping more than 100.

I still only ride to have a good day out and a laugh with some other lads, never been that competitive that if I was not winning after the first lap that I packed the bike up and went home, some people would not believe how many riders do that.
It's all about a good day out for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back