TomTom...zzzzzzz (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When are they going to get their act together ?

IMG_20171018_141230.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Did mine before heading off to Scandanavia, took well over an hour, I just left it to it in the end so don't really know how long, chose full europe map which will not have helped

Got in MH to set off programmed first address TT says these maps are over 13 months old :mad::mad:

Hope yours at least gets the update right (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The files aren't that big so although TomTom won't admit it l suspect the problem is caused by whatever DRM system they use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As you can see....6 hours remaining and only 6% already downloaded.
It stopped a while ago and said 'our servers are extremely busy, try later'
they are always busy so increase server space you useless bunch of pillox.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Garmin arent much better (at least in my experience) latest update to mine was 3 hours and now the maps freeze and I have to reboot to get them working.

Reactions: DBK
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Poster above beat me to it lol.... Not just TT . Its the same with garmin , or at least in my case it is. Takes forever and a day to upload so called updates and invariably the thing then doesnt work. Resulting in a call to garmin support , who simply go through settings and say untick this , untick that . Well if those functions dont "function" while ticked , what are they for , why have them? Another thing with garmin updating , it does not support chromebook.

As spoken about recently on this forum ( and a few others I have seen) the days of dedicated GPS in vehicle units may just be on the decline . The number of apparently well thought out and very user friendly gps apps seem to be on the up and able to be loaded on to phones, tablets etc. So dedicated units simply not required.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
What is your download connection speed?

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
We've gone back to using paper maps - yes I know that's very 20th century but it does mean we speak more during the journey rather than keep listening to TT :)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
My download speed is circa 55/60mb and a complete install is probably about an hour.

The map on your GO 910 was much smaller.

You mentioned that the system was changed . This probably results from the Legal action after Microsoft took them to court over the software they were using. All now changed

I see @landsm has warned that they have just done a new update that came out yesterday for their Garmin 770 camper and found they have lost a feature they used to have. Where have I heard that before?

Doug

Deleted User
Takes me less than 1 hour to update my Garmin and never had any problems

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
We've gone back to using paper maps - yes I know that's very 20th century but it does mean we speak more during the journey rather than keep listening to TT

Not in our MH. There would be total silence for a very LLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG. time whilst the navigator worked out which page and what way up. And then !!!!!!!!!!!!! who knows.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Poster above beat me to it lol.... Not just TT . Its the same with garmin , or at least in my case it is. Takes forever and a day to upload so called updates and invariably the thing then doesnt work. Resulting in a call to garmin support , who simply go through settings and say untick this , untick that . Well if those functions dont "function" while ticked , what are they for , why have them? Another thing with garmin updating , it does not support chromebook.

As spoken about recently on this forum ( and a few others I have seen) the days of dedicated GPS in vehicle units may just be on the decline . The number of apparently well thought out and very user friendly gps apps seem to be on the up and able to be loaded on to phones, tablets etc. So dedicated units simply not required.
And with these phone and tablet app there is no updating for hours they automatically update themselves all the time without you even noticing.

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
Not in our MH. There would be total silence for a very LLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG. time whilst the navigator worked out which page and what way up. And then !!!!!!!!!!!!! who knows.

:D Hopefully your navigator is not reading this thread ... to be fair my navigator is as good as Tom Tom so far as route guidance / map reading goes and doesn't need any periodic updates either

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
And with these phone and tablet app there is no updating for hours they automatically update themselves all the time without you even noticing.

Agreed, it really does seem the way forward now.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hopefully your navigator is not reading this thread

No. I am braver than that. I read it to her and there was a nod of agreement.

Whenever she goes anywhere that is a reasonable distance she gets me to programme the Tomtom for her. Once I got a desperate call to say the TT would not calculate the return journey. I told her what to do and an hour or so later she appeared. I did not get any brownie points when I explained that our son had last used the unit and it had Home set as his Hotel on I195 in Orlando and I had not changed it.

Many years ago about 3 weeks after we had moved into a new home. A Friend called and when leaving asked My Navigator the way to the nearest town. He was advised to go to the end of the road and turn left.

When I next met him he said he was surprised how far the town was from our place. If she had said turn right it would have been 26,000 miles nearer.

Last edited:

Deleted User
:D Hopefully your navigator is not reading this thread ... to be fair my navigator is as good as Tom Tom so far as route guidance / map reading goes and doesn't need any periodic updates either
I think it is down to personal preference.
I have a Garmin that was on sale at Aldi for £59.99 including lifetime map and traffic updates. It has a decent size dedicated screen with all the information I need and can be customised to suit. It ticks away merrily and does everything expected of it. I have tried using a phone app but the screen was too small and not enough space for the info I wanted displayed.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You mentioned that the system was changed . This probably results from the Legal action after Microsoft took them to court over the software they were using. All now changed
Correct.
Before that it downloaded much, much faster even with a slow connection.
Maybe they should have got someone with a bit of knowledge to write their new operating software.
And who actually needs 3D buildings on their maps ? Just marketing gimmick to me.
I excluded that option from my map updates.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Still only 92% and 1/2 hour to go.

You like risking it. You trying to put the fluence on it???

I don't know exactly what you are doing but it has been suggested that if you are updating things like maps etc that you do them individually and not all in one go with other updates. Maybe something worth mentioning.

I agree with you about the 3D buildings as infact in cities it can be more difficult to see turnings on the units because of the Buildings obscuring the side roads until you are nearly on them.

You can select a map to download by listing the countries you want to be on your unit. A bit like the old map zones. Might be worth a look at for the future as it can enable you to reduce the size of the map and so the volume to download.

Doug

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I leave all TomTom downloading until bedtime and have the computer running overnight. At least that way I'm not twiddling my thumbs for 6 hours or watching my already slow wi-fi connection reduced to a crawl.

I also switch off the totally useless 3D buildings feature. We've got two TomTom Go 5000 units that log into the same account, so if one's had some changes made to My Places or the aire POIs updated, the other will synch with it when logged in - that's handy. What's not so handy is if you leave them both logged in and it synchs the destinations on days when we're both travelling in different directions. Always best to leave one unit logged off.

And another thing - despite what the manufacturers say, you can change the battery on a TomTom as long as you have a small enough Torx screwdriver, some patience, and the right Youtube video clip.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I keep thinking about updating my tom tom . Mine is on a full size sd card though so I wondered if it was easier to find a newer set on a card ? One thing about mine ,being older I suppose, is that the battery is as good when left for 5 months as it was the day it was charged.(y)

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You like risking it. You trying to put the fluence on it???

I don't know exactly what you are doing but it has been suggested that if you are updating things like maps etc that you do them individually and not all in one go with other updates. Maybe something worth mentioning.

I agree with you about the 3D buildings as infact in cities it can be more difficult to see turnings on the units because of the Buildings obscuring the side roads until you are nearly on them.

You can select a map to download by listing the countries you want to be on your unit. A bit like the old map zones. Might be worth a look at for the future as it can enable you to reduce the size of the map and so the volume to download.

Doug
Already selecting items Doug.
This ridiculously long download was western European map only.
There was 4 updates on offer but I rarely update community updates and speed camera updates already expired but the updates keep coming thick and fast.
Click update and it tells me I need to subscribe/buy.
The 4th appeared to be a system update (nav4) which I need to investigate.
So....Already downloading the absolute minimum.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The screen said update complete...until I checked in the navs setting and it hadn't updated.
Connected back to computer then it loaded to the nav.
Update now complete.

Reactions: DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
The Last system update was in July and was 17.200 and covered:-
  • Bug fixes and improvements: Various performance improvements and bug fixes have been implemented.
Another suggestion is when you have finished any updating that you do a Soft Reset. i.e. with the unit switched on and with plenty of battery you hold down the ON/Off button until you hear the Drum roll. This is said to be like turning off your computer if you have a problem and restarting it. No loss of Data etc but tidies it up a bit. It will probably free up a bit of space as I think it deletes the Mapshare updates which if you have a new map should not be necessary. It can also speed it up a little bit.

Doug

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Did a factory reset after the update to try to switch to UK region only map.
It has No other maps stored either before or after the reset.
It only shows Europe map and no other maps when clicking 'change map'
Probably due to free lifetime EU maps.

I can buy the UK only map with 3D buildings (ALL regional maps come with 3D except full European map which has the option for either) but that's a bit extreme when I have free maps for life, well until 2019 when they withdraw the map and software update service for the current GO500.
I'll just put up with mega slow updates until this unit breaks then go to a different make.
TomTom sucks.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
They don't do updates for my old TomTom, so I don't have to FAFF about downloading them.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back